Post Thanks / Like

True Confessions of a Frustrated Black Car Owner!

Good Morning D.C.!

I have been lurking, reading but not posting for the last several months. I am getting ready to jump back into detailing my personal cars for the season. I just moved my Polishes, waxes and sealants from the Laundry Room (inside the house) back to the garage. All MF got a fresh wash and are in their perspective bins!

I have not done anything more than a wash the cars in many, many months. All 3 sit out side 24X7 but thanks to some old kitchen cabinets I relocated to the garage for organizational purposes, I think I should be able to get at least 1 car in there. Not mine (READ the WIFE`s)!
    Fine with me as I like mine as far away from the kids bikes anyhow!

So my car has absolutly no protection left on it whatsoever! I mean zero. Sheet city. Interestingly enough the AquaPel I applied the week I got the car in 2008 is still holding its own. I plan on adding another coat of that as well to boost it up for our last year together. (lease will be up). I have liked having a black car more than I expected. I traded in a white one for a black of the same model. Black has been frustrating but it cannot be beat when it is clean. If I cannot get the polishing thing down this season, I am out of the black car ownership deal. I can make any color lighter than Navy POP! I own enough equipment (Flex, PC, lots of pads all different colors, 20-Gal Wet Vac, Extractor, 2 sets halogen lights on stands, 100`s of MF towels) and product to run a friggin good size detailing business yet I still cant get the swirls out of my vehicle. I guess the only thing left to blame is ME! So at this point I am viewing this as a personal challenge. (By the way, if anyone know a goof proof product, I would still buy it! This is a sickness!)

I plan on polishing with PB SSR line (I own 3, 2.5, 1 and PP), depending on my results using Black Hole (My goal is to polish enough to avoid fillers but PBBH has saved my a$$, and time before big time) and applying a sealant. I am shooting for getting this done in 2 weeks if the weather cooperates. This weekend I plan on doing the interior and adressing some stone chips with Dr. Colorchip. If someone has a better system I would appreciate a name or link.

I will try to post before and after pictures unless the results are embarassing. Then I will just blame the camera! Dam technology!

Good to be back!

Jeff

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: True Confessions of a Frustrated Black Car Owner!

Wondered where you disappeared to

Black is a full time job think Silver next time
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

How`s your arm/shoulder?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    How`s your arm/shoulder?
    Ron,

You are great for remembering. I am on the mend. My wrist is at 75% and my shoulder is getting better every day but still torn. I will not be pitching anytime soon! It sucks getting old, I used to heal so fast!

I hope to see you again at the PB deatail weekend. Is there a date yet? I hope it is after JUNE 26th. HINT HINT. That is when my boys leave for summer camp. Before that I am hard pressed to escape for the day.

How have you been? I saw your posts and your new ride..very sweet.

Speak to you soon.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Wondered where you disappeared to

Black is a full time job think Silver next time
    I turned in a white car and I was actually thinking about another white one, but there it was a black/black on the showroom floor. Dam it looked good. I thought, I can handle that right? WRONG!

I will either get this now or move on.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I currently own 3 Black vehicles.
    I have had a Black vehicle for 20 years and had 3 for the last 10 years.

I bought a new car last fall and traded in a Black for a Black.
    I also have other colors but Black is by far my favorite.

No different doing Black than any other color assuming you do it right but it is easy to hide flaws with gray or silver, but they don`t look as nice when detailed either.

If you are going to use PB products I would finnish with professional polish with LC white, then PP with a Black pad.

Black hole is ok but if you polish it right BH won`t be needed just apply your LSP.

Only time I use a glaze is if I find a small flaw while at a show I can`t correct it their so I use a glaze to hide it until I get back home where I can fix it right.

Show season is starting here in Indiana and I`m going to do a little polishing for the first time in 3 years on my vette, it has a few very minor scratches from using a QD on it.

The secret to maintaining Black is careful washing and use of a QD once you get it looking good be very careful with your cleaning and you will enjoy your Black car. I LOVE BLACK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    I currently own 3 Black vehicles.
    I have had a Black vehicle for 20 years and had 3 for the last 10 years.

I bought a new car last fall and traded in a Black for a Black.
    I also have other colors but Black is by far my favorite.

No different doing Black than any other color assuming you do it right but it is easy to hide flaws with gray or silver, but they don`t look as nice when detailed either.

If you are going to use PB products I would finnish with professional polish with LC white, then PP with a Black pad.

Black hole is ok but if you polish it right BH won`t be needed just apply your LSP.

Only time I use a glaze is if I find a small flaw while at a show I can`t correct it their so I use a glaze to hide it until I get back home where I can fix it right.

Show season is starting here in Indiana and I`m going to do a little polishing for the first time in 3 years on my vette, it has a few very minor scratches from using a QD on it.

The secret to maintaining Black is careful washing and use of a QD once you get it looking good be very careful with your cleaning and you will enjoy your Black car. I LOVE BLACK
    I never got the knack of proper polishing. I am hoping to get there this time. For whatever reason, I see buffer trails and still have spider swirls.

I am going to hit it really hard once again.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I never got the knack of proper polishing. I am hoping to get there this time. For whatever reason, I see buffer trails and still have spider swirls.

I am going to hit it really hard once again.

Jeff
    Sounds like you are using a rotary if that is the case try using a PC for finishing.
    Do you have PB-PP for you finishing polish.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    ...my vette, it has a few very minor scratches from using a QD on it.

The secret to maintaining Black is careful washing and use of a QD once you get it looking good ...
    As a picker of nits ... am I missing something?

JSFM35X, check out this thread from a fellow black car owner and see how he managed to resolve what he thought was an overhwhelming problem fairly simply.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/poo...black-g37.html
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mr. Clean;310509]As a picker of nits ... am I missing something?[/QUOTE ]Yea you probably missed the part where I said that I had not polished it in 3 years

I think that when you can go 3 years without polishing a Black car that is pretty good, and this is on a show car that must be flawless.
    If you know how to get more mileage from washing without polishing please share your secret with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,

You are great for remembering. I am on the mend. My wrist is at 75% and my shoulder is getting better every day but still torn. I will not be pitching anytime soon! It sucks getting old, I used to heal so fast!

I hope to see you again at the PB deatail weekend. Is there a date yet? I hope it is after JUNE 26th. HINT HINT. That is when my boys leave for summer camp. Before that I am hard pressed to escape for the day.

How have you been? I saw your posts and your new ride..very sweet.

Speak to you soon.

Jeff

Yeah I`ll be at detail weekend. I got out of black car syndrome too.
    Prolly till the next car.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Jeff!
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 9D4E420 View Post
    Welcome back Jeff!
    Hey bud, how are you doing? Still got the MB perfected! Man the day I saw you wet sanding that thing I though I was going to die. it was perfect already!

Hope to see you soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey bud, how are you doing? Still got the MB perfected! Man the day I saw you wet sanding that thing I though I was going to die. it was perfect already!

Hope to see you soon.
    I`m doing really good. The shop has been very busy the last month. Yeah the MB is perfected still. That`s funny you remember the wetsanding. I`ll be at the PB detail weekend I`m sure I`ll see you there. Good luck with your paint I`m sure you will get the polishing down
    Kurt

Thread Information