Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Another stupid Question

For picking the best products when they say for light and dark colors... Is Red considered a light or dark color?

I`ve thought of the dark colors as green, black, blue, purples, etc. Light colors have been white, silver, gray, tan, gold.

My gut tells me it falls in the dark colors but I`ve been known to be wrong before.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another stupid Question

Not a stupid question at all. If you`re talking wax............ and Glaze...........

I personally would reat it as a "dark" color and use black hole and natty`s blue and red.

But lets wait for the kahuna of karnuba to chime in.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello itguy. Welcome to DC.

As an it guy (can I assume that safely enough?), you know the old adage...the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

As for choosing products for light vs dark colored paints there always seems to be just a bit more for consideration than just the color and there`s nothing that is black and white (oops there`s a pun). Enough...IMO red can be treated as either a dark or light color. That is red can look good bathed in a nice carnauba or shine in a "bright" sealant. Prep the paint well and choose your poison.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle states their wax looks best on dark colors like Black or Red so that tells you where they place your Red.

I say go with what gives you the look that you want.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`d also say it is very subjective ... if you like a deep wet look, then go with products geared towards dark colors, if you like a bright , clean look, then treat it as a light color. there is no right or wrong, it`s all personal preference
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to keep in mind is that some "dark color products" tend to mute the metalic. I also believe that perfecting the polishing process has as much of an impact on the final results as the LSP
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again. So I guess my first instinct that Red is a dark color was right. And I picked well when I ordered Nattys Red. Never had a red car before (wife`s call on the color since I got the car I wanted) so it`s all new to me.

I put the first coats of anything other than what the dealer used on the car this weekend - polish with sealant and a coat of Nattys Red. The car looks outstanding and has that deep wet look that I love. Plan to keep it up with Qd+ about every week.

Thanks again - I`ve got a bit to learn but it`s fun for me to put on the headphones and go out and clean the cars up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a metalic red Silverado and use Nattys Red on it as well ... Best look yet!
    Process: Polish with SSR-2 , SSR-1 two coats of Poorboys EX-P and then many coats of Nattys Red. Gotta love it

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan. I haven`t yet tried Natty`s Red (love the Natty`s Blue), it would seem to be a natural on red paint.

How long before someone chimes in with the suggestion of a Red/White/Blue combo?
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well on my yoda i do a white red combo.. gotta pop the metallic and then have the wet look of the red
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itguy09 View Post
    I put the first coats of anything other than what the dealer used on the car this weekend - polish with sealant and a coat of Nattys Red. The car looks outstanding and has that deep wet look that I love.
    Pics requested/required.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimwallace View Post
    I have a metalic red Silverado and use Nattys Red on it as well ... Best look yet!
    Process: Polish with SSR-2 , SSR-1 two coats of Poorboys EX-P and then many coats of Nattys Red. Gotta love it
    I like EX-P on metallic paints as well. On Mrs. Clean`s Silver Reflex coated VW NB TS I did 3 seperate applications of EX-P, last Fall, and left it at that.
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I like EX-P on metallic paints as well. On Mrs. Clean`s Silver Reflex coated VW NB TS I did 3 seperate applications of EX-P, last Fall, and left it at that.
    I like that look as well on light metalics or top it with Nattys White.
    It is something about the wet look of Red that I cannot resist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Pics requested/required.
    Will be coming tomorrow when there is more light. Just spray and Wiped it and added a quick shot of a Quick Detail product - not Poorboys as I want to finish that up before breaking out the good stuff!

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itguy09 View Post
    Will be coming tomorrow when there is more light. Just spray and Wiped it and added a quick shot of a Quick Detail product - not Poorboys as I want to finish that up before breaking out the good stuff!
    Do you have Spray & Gloss? That will look very very nice on a finely polished red car!!! If I were to use a glaze on a red car, I would probably opt for white diamond. I just preffer a really bright red. I have probably detailed 100 cars so far and I have yet to get my polishers on a true red car. I can`t wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information