The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Freezing of products in shipment?

How long would a gallon of Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe and a quart of PB`s Bold N Bright have to be exposed to temperatures in the upper 20s to be damaged?
    It takes about 5 days for an order to reach me from the DC Store and depending on when the order is shipped, it could very easily end up on a truck in the upper Midwest for a day or three.
    It obviously won`t freeze as soon as the temperature drops below freezing, but will the 8 to 12 hours at night be enough to cause a problem? Highs for the day could be from 32 to 45 degrees so the products don`t have a big temperature change to undergo before they reach 32 degrees.
    What is the freezing temperature of those two products?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Freezing of products in shipment?

I can`t say about S&W but last winter I ordered several Meguiar`s items from ADS and it arrived in Marion a nearby city on Friday night and set on the trailer until Monday morning.

When UPS delivered it I used my infrared gun and it showed the surface temperature of the M 135 was 16 degrees and it was solid.

I thought it was ruined but after it thawed I shook it good and tried it and it seems to be fine.

I used it several times last summer on my show car and won so it must have not hurt it much.

To avoid those problems this year I stocked up about a month ago.
    I have enough S&W to easily run me till next fall.

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Charles, Shipping would be faster directly from Poorboys worlds. Usually 2 days, once over the weekend 3 days. Just have Steve send on a monday or tuesday. It froze here last night!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    How long would a gallon of Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe and a quart of PB`s Bold N Bright have to be exposed to temperatures in the upper 20s to be damaged?
    It takes about 5 days for an order to reach me from the DC Store and depending on when the order is shipped, it could very easily end up on a truck in the upper Midwest for a day or three.
    It obviously won`t freeze as soon as the temperature drops below freezing, but will the 8 to 12 hours at night be enough to cause a problem? Highs for the day could be from 32 to 45 degrees so the products don`t have a big temperature change to undergo before they reach 32 degrees.
    What is the freezing temperature of those two products?
    Charles those are both water based products and even if completely frozen would be fine when defrosted ... what we do worry about is the bottle ...plastic with liquids in them become more fragile when frozen, so just make sure you warm them slowly..not by the furnace ...
    On another note... first a moving truck no matter how cold would be literally shaking the product, so freezing is improbable .. the transfer points where they unload and load the trucks are heated ... and again not too many of the trucks would be sitting in one place long enough to freeze ...there would be a better chance of it freezing on the door step after it was delivered if you were not home to receive it.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Steve is correct about not likely to freeze while moving but at my local UPS the area where they unload the semis and put it on the delivery truck has NO heat and if a trailer is dropped their Friday night it will not see any heat until it is in my home.
    I would order in the middle of the week and
    I would give them instructions to ship on a Monday avoiding the weekend layover
    Order enough now to get you through the winter months.

Charles will it get down to freezing in Iowa, man I`m sure glad we don`t have that cold weather here in Northern Indiana

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Steve is correct about not likely to freeze while moving but at my local UPS the area where they unload the semis and put it on the delivery truck has NO heat and if a trailer is dropped their Friday night it will not see any heat until it is in my home.

Charles will it get down to freezing in Iowa, man I`m sure glad we don`t have that cold weather here in Northern Indiana
    yes planning on the delivery day is a good idea
    know when it`s shipping and how many days in transit should help prevent any problems
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post

My thought was to have it ship on Friday since it seems to travel around Florida for a couple of days before it heads North. I am concerned that it might not get delivered by Friday if it ships on a Monday. Then it would be exposed to the temperatures here over the week-end. I have received products that were frozen, but it was when temperatures were colder than they are just yet.
    An extreme low in Iowa would be in the minus 20 to minus 30 range, but the record low is minus 47 degrees in 1996. Wouldn`t the weather in your area be pretty close to the same?

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Charles those are both water based products and even if completely frozen would be fine when defrosted ... what we do worry about is the bottle ...plastic with liquids in them become more fragile when frozen, so just make sure you warm them slowly..not by the furnace ...
    On another note... first a moving truck no matter how cold would be literally shaking the product, so freezing is improbable .. the transfer points where they unload and load the trucks are heated ... and again not too many of the trucks would be sitting in one place long enough to freeze ...there would be a better chance of it freezing on the door step after it was delivered if you were not home to receive it.
    The fact that they are both water based was one reason I thought there could be a good chance of them freezing. I wasn`t sure if the freezing would have any long term effect and you answered that question.
    I will be careful in the thawing process if freezing does happen.

Charles

Thread Information