Post Thanks / Like

Question Natty`s Red or Blue, what to do?

oooh, the UPS guy delivered my fresh jar of Natty`s Red whilst i was finishing the xD yesterday. Already was using Natty`s Blue on that one, so...

Now left to detail is the `09 Corolla (same paint as the xD, Magnetic Gray with LOTS of silver metal flakes), and the `08 tC (Black Sand Pearl - also loaded with metal flakes, but multi-colored, not just silver.)
    I wonder if the red will really look that different on the Corolla? and what would y`all suggest on the tC? last coat on that is the blue.
    (darnit - i still have not figured out how to capture the flakes in a photo)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Natty`s Red or Blue, what to do?

The NR will give you a much wetter look than the blue...its the one that I use for all my cars...however if your in an area that is real hot...once you are done, rinse the car with cold water so that you harden the oils in the wax...I find this keeps the car from getting that hazing look.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

ah, i do recall reading your thread about that. is that what you finally concluded? hot sun, fresh wax and engine heat=hazing? is that more a prob with the red instead of blue?
    it`s been hotter`n blazes here all summer and the tC is always out, no shade whatsoever, and hazing from the nattys blue is one thing i can say i havent noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

so, NB is a "deeper" shine? NR is "wetter"? seems that the NB does "mute" the flakes just a bit - i only used PB Pro Polish on the hood after that kid plunked his hand on it, and the flakes really popped out. but once i put the NB on they seemed a little less bright. maybe it was just perception...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 08tC View Post
    ah, i do recall reading your thread about that. is that what you finally concluded? hot sun, fresh wax and engine heat=hazing? is that more a prob with the red instead of blue?
    it`s been hotter`n blazes here all summer and the tC is always out, no shade whatsoever, and hazing from the nattys blue is one thing i can say i havent noticed.
    I have only noticed this hazing with the red..and only really on jet black or non-metallic colors...thats not saying that is not on the lighter colors just not as visible...The way I worked around this was the cold water rinse...seemed to work...the other way that has worked real well was to use a sealant and stop at that...sealants are higher temp and didn`t show the hazing..maybe because they have less oils...don`t really know why for usre
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I would use the NR, but that`s just my opinion. I think it doesnt mute the flakes as much as the NB. The red is a wet look like Beemerboy said but I feel it is also pretty clear to let the flakes pop through.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I`m in the oppisite camp here I love PcW Blue and Natty`s Blue on my surbaru and it really makes the metal flake pop...

So much that steve even made a comment about just how much it poped..

Post Thanks / Like

Driver side of the car with Blue and Passenger side with red???

Post Thanks / Like

Driver side of the car with Blue and Passenger side with red???
    i washed it a while ago and was sooo pizzed about all the water spots - they just dont go away! on the whole darn car, incl windows & door trim. but i noticed it was worse on the side towards the sun. i always park head-in and seem to wash the car in late afternoon when the sun is beating down on the drivers side. the pass side just doesnt seem to be spotted quite as bad.
    so, i turned it around, that side cooled off in like 5 minutes, i used PBPro Polish on just the drivers front fender panel, then a thin coat of NR. wow - PP took off the spots and the NR looks great!
    now i can`t wait to clay it - i can feel all kinds of grit as i wipe it when using QD. and hopefully a full polish will get rid of the micromarring that i see all over it.

now how the heck do i clean these damn windows?? water spots, and smearing driving me crazy! is it just outgassing because the car is new? that would explain the iinside, but what about outside??

Post Thanks / Like

Distilled vinegar is good for water spots. Put a rag in the vinegar ring out and let it sit on the water spot for a minute or so.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, i tried diluted vinegar on the xD yesterday, didnt work very well. has always been a good way to do windows. but these water spots are evil.

Put a rag in the vinegar ring out and let it sit on the water spot for a minute or so.
    maybe it does have to be straight vinegar. this will be a tedious process tho - the whole roof on the tC is glass!

Post Thanks / Like

I like to put a coat of blue first. Then red after that.
    Blue for depth, then red for wetness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I have only noticed this hazing with the red..and only really on jet black or non-metallic colors...
    You know what is really odd Beemerboy?, I only have that problem with the blue, I got my jar of red and gave it a try (great stuff by the way Steve ) and it does not haze up on me at all. Go figure

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and another thing that really impressed me, I had to take a short trip to Iowa this week, right before I left I left I put on a coat of red on over a the existing nattys blue, along the way there and back I picked up quite the bug collection on my hood and front end, that night I got home and pulled out the pressure washer, every single bug was gone with no trace at all. I have never had another product perform like that.

Thread Information