Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bead baby bead!

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

bead baby bead!

Had to post this. It just rained here for like 15 minutes. I went out for a smoke and had to take a pic. Here is the beading action of a certain new, soon to be available paste wax....one week old not washed since applied.

Sorry if it is a little dark.. I didn`t want to use a flash as that would have washed it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Boss_429
    This wouldn`t happen to be that "Natty Bumppo with the Muppets in a Green VW Canister Carnauba" would it?

Got BASS...Will travel!!! MetalSludge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks awesome. I got a question for either of you 2. While at the Carlisle All Truck Nationals there was a guy inside the main building selling some kind of Banana wax from florida. I watched his presentation and during it he said you dont want a wax that makes water bead you want a wax that is slick and smooth so the water runs off and not bead. Is there any truth to this? As I always thought you wanted it to bead till I heard this. He had a car hood in there and He waxed a section with some kind of wax in a plain bottle and another section with his wax the generic bottle beaded real well and his the water ran off and was bone dry in a second. What gives with this?
    Tommy
    2002 Ford Ranger
    I wanna go fishing now!!!!

Boss_429
    MetalSlude,

Natty may have a different view on this, but here`s mine:

I would have to say that a product that sheets water is indeed better for paint surface than one that beads. Right off the bat, one can see that it will help prevent hard water spots, which also contain contaminants. Now, I would say this is somewhat helpful for those people who don`t maintain there vehciles on a regular basis. For most people that come to forums like this, it`s not a big concern.

I would suspect that products like Meguiar`s Gold Class (and other Meguiar`s waxes) are actually formulated NOT to bead water, but to sheet it. I`ve talked to the good people at Meguiar`s, and they assure me that there is protection their after the beading is gone. I`ll take them at the word.

In the end, I don`t care if a product beads, or sheets, as long as I can tell that it`s still protecting, and looks GOOD! The nice part about having a product that beads is..................... it`s easy to tell if it`s still protecting! Plus, it looks really cool!

Keep in mind, this is just my "un-scientific opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s all about the COOL...:rockin :bass :mohawk :band :beer
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes sense re: the sheeting vs. beading. I just love to look at those little beads though.
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta love those beads Natty! I almost took a pic of mine with polish w/carnauba untouched for about a month yesterday. We had a huge rainstorm(actually everyday for past week).

My take on the bead vs sheeting is about the same as Boss, for most of us it really doesn`t matter. We just want the paint to be protected and look great. Keep this in mind though, just because a product beads like crazy doesn`t mean that it is a good protector, it just means it has been formulated to have a high surface tension. Conversly, if a product that is designed to sheet does not bead obviously it is still protecting. I think if I lived in Florida where it rained everyday, I would probably want something that sheeted. For now, I think I like to see small, tight beads of water, it lets me know when to reapply(if it ever gets that far).

Boss_429
    EBP,

Come on.............. take a picture! I want to see how that new camera works!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    EBP,

Come on.............. take a picture! I want to see how that new camera works!
    It stopped raining..........for 2 hours anyway:jump Did you see my thread that I dedicated to Natty in mainstreet? All the pics were taken with the camera, I am really liking it so far.

Boss_429
    Yep, it looks good, but we need some "paint pics"! :hot

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    Yep, it looks good, but we need some "paint pics"! :hot
    It was my uncle`s truck and I could only do the interior because of rain He is going to trade it in today for a Ford excursion......BLACK:bigscream I guess I will be busy cleaning it............or should I turn it down?:cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    It was my uncle`s truck and I could only do the interior because of rain He is going to trade it in today for a Ford excursion......BLACK:bigscream I guess I will be busy cleaning it............or should I turn it down?:cool
    Geez..detailing something the size of a darn school bus PLUS in black. Walk away, no wait....RUN away form that one:car
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like
    I may just have to tell him to kiss my:moon: :lol These new smileys :rockin

Post Thanks / Like
    NICE PIC BRO!!!
    :wow

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s exactly how my truck looks now. I applied my most recent coat of EX on Aug 6 and the beading is exactly as Natty has shown.

I don`t necessairly take that to mean that I`m getting fantastic protection or anything. I mean, hell...I just don`t know that beadint in an indication of anything really remarkable but it sure ain`t a bad thing either and I think it does show that the product is still there after a month.

So I`m pretty happy with the EX. Great shine and it`s still there after a month. Not bad for a truck that gets Sprayed and Wiped EVERY day!
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information