Post Thanks / Like

Best pads for SSR1 and SSR2

Hello,
    i tried buffing out my 2000k camry (burgandy) hood with the PB SSR1 with blue propel pad with poor results, i probably will need to order either green, yellow or orange pad. I also have propel 4`` pad kit and i use the yellow pad with it, but still couldn`t buff out the scratches. My question is which is the best color pad to use with the ssr1 and 2 ?

thanks
    dirt diggler

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best pads for SSR1 and SSR2

how deep are your scratches? I probably would have started with SSR2.5 and a polishing pad, as SSR1 is more of a finishing polish and SSR2 is for light scratches. I`m not familiar with the propel line of pads and maybe someone who is will chime in. I`m a believer in Lake Country VC (variable contact) pads and find I get the best results with them and the SSR`s
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

You are using at right pad for the product (blue propel is a polishing pad). The thing is are you using the right product for the job.
    Depending on how severe the marks are that you are trying to remove, you may want to step up to SSR 2.5 and try that with a polishing pad to see if that gives you the results you want. Even then it may take more than 1 pass.

Diggler, try to refer to the type of pad rather than the color, different manuf use different colors for the same type of pad.
    Maybe this link will help Manuf pad colors

Didn`t mean to hijack your thread

Good luck

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Using a propel pad chart that jaybs95 made up..http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14489... the list from most aggressive to least is: orange, yellow, green, blue, and grey.

I personally like the orange pad for use with SSR2.5. It has made quick work of the marring that has been on all of my vehicles. Follow up with SSR1 and a blue pad to clean up the finish before I have used a sealant or a carnuaba
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all,
    I will try what i have now which is a 4`` orange propel and ssr2 fir the scratches. I will order a ssr2.5 and a larger orange pad this week along with teh exp sealant.

dirt diggler

Post Thanks / Like

The orange pad is the most aggressive, you may want to wait and try using SSR 2.5 with a polishing pad or a lite cut pad before using a cutting pad w/ SSR 2.
    I only use a cutting pad on rather sever marks. You only said that you were trying to remove scratches, how deep are they? Can you catch them with your fingernail?
    By using a cutting pad you will most likely have to go over the area again with the polishing pad to remove marks left from the cutting pad.

Remember to use the least aggressive combo first.

Good luck and Happy Holidays
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jay,
    The scratches are apparent when you look down, i can feel the scratch when running my fingernails across, but doesn`t catch, it might have polished them down to round the grooves.
    i will order the ssr2.5. do you think that megs scratch ex may help, ?

thanks
    dirt diggler

Post Thanks / Like

If you have Meg`s Scratch X give it a try. It cannot hurt. I feel that if it was not done with what you have already tried the scratch X will not do the job.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CWCAD, if you have the ScratchX give it a try, but I wouldn`t go out of my way to pick it up to try. It is also a product that was designed to be used by hand, and that requires genuine rubbing.
    Since you have a machine go with either SSR 2.5 or a slighty more agressive pad

JMHO
    Good Luck
    "J"

P.S.
    Pics might help to give a better understanding of what you are trying to get out

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again.
    I placed an order at Autogeek for the ssr2.5, lc orange pad and ex-p sealant.
    Thanks again. There`s a sticky about 2.5 use which i will read during lunch time.

fran
    dirt diggler

Thread Information