Post Thanks / Like

Does SSR2 need to be followed up with SSR1?

Simple question for you Poorboy`s junkies. I`m going to polish my car this week. I`ve only had it for a few months, but I gotta tell ya... the `05 Legacy paint is pretty fragile stuff. I don`t really have much in the way of visual swirls, but I can definitely see some really light surface scratches. Apparantly even microfiber is too abrasive for this sucker. I`m thinking that some of the surface stuff I`m seeing might just be in the sealant or wax. I`m going to hit it with a red Meguiar`s pad and either SSR2 or SSR1 that vern was kind enough to send me. If I start with SSR2 (Hey, I enjoy using a canon to kill a mosquito sometimes. At least I`m not grabbing the DACP right off the bat.) then will I need to follow up with SSR1? I haven`t really used either one of these products on anything that I can gauge effectiveness, so this will be my first time with Poorboy`s products on a dark car. How effective is SSR1 all by itself? These are really minor marks on really soft paint. Should I skip the SSR2 and just use the girly pink stuff? Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does SSR2 need to be followed up with SSR1?

If you are going to use a burgundy Megs pad you may have to follow up with some SSR1 but I would probably say to use the yellow Megs pad (polishing) with the SSR2. If the paint is as soft as you say the SSR2 will be enough and with the polishing pad you`ll be ready to go right to a sealant.
    Seeking Donations: Recently Diagnosed With Terminal Senioritis.

Post Thanks / Like

I can get out very minor marring with SSR1/polish pad and a lot of patience. Isn`t that red Meg`s pad pretty harsh? If the paint is as soft as you say it is, you might could get by trying SSR1 on a polishing pad instead of a cut pad. In my limited experience with SSR2, I didn`t think it was all too aggressive - meaning I don`t think it does a whole lot more than SSR1. But I haven`t used it much, so take that into account.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. I`ll grab a softer pad and start with the SSR1 and see how that works out. For some reason when I think "swirl removal" I always reach for the cutting pad. I`ve never worked on paint this soft though. I need to take it somewhere and get it measured to see if somehow Subaru has screwed everybody with a shoddy paint job. They can have the car back if I`m going to continue to have issues with it. Its a blast to drive, but so is a BMW 330xi. I`d pay extra not to have to worry about my paint peeling off in 3 years or something.

Boss_429

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    Should I skip the SSR2 and just use the girly pink stuff?
    Jngrbrdman,

I love that line!

Anyhow, my son has an 04 Outback, so I know what your talking about with the "Subie" paint. Anyhow, I would make one pass with the SSR2 and a polishing pad... you`ll know right away where you need to go (or stay) at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

I used my rotory and an LC tufted polishing pad on my Black Impala SS this past weekend. I pulled it out after the SSR2 and I could have gone straight to EX.......but that wouldnt have been very DC of me, so I jumped down to a lighter polish (not SSR1 this time, as I was trying out a new product).
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Girly only my offsprings...and not really there either

I would actually try a different approach ..I would hit it with SSR1 and a finishing pad and blast away 5-6 on the PC...especially if you are not going after swirls and you want minor paint defects removed with a really brite shine
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Way2SSlow
    I used my rotory and an LC tufted polishing pad on my Black Impala SS this past weekend. I pulled it out after the SSR2 and I could have gone straight to EX.......but that wouldnt have been very DC of me, so I jumped down to a lighter polish (not SSR1 this time, as I was trying out a new product).
    I`ll be sticking with SSR1 from here on out.

Steve, do you think SSR1 on a finishing pad would remove any haze? Think it would be worth a try to polish out the car (SSR2 or 2.5 and then down to 1 on a polishing pad) then make one additional pass of SSR1 on a finishing pad?
    ~werd to yo mutha~
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like

WOW.. not to get off track here but the two subbies i have done My own and a Black leg had HARD clear. but they do seem to chip easy. I have problems with my hood where their are feint scrachtes that i just can seem to get out I did the big O step down from a cutting pad to polishing pad to finishing pad and VM at the end it took me an hour to do the hood with a rotary and they were still there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    Girly only my offsprings...and not really there either

I would actually try a different approach ..I would hit it with SSR1 and a finishing pad and blast away 5-6 on the PC...especially if you are not going after swirls and you want minor paint defects removed with a really brite shine
    Yeah? You think that would work beter than SSR2 on a tamer PC speed? What if there are a few minor swirls? Would the SSR1 do the job on those if the PC was bumped up pretty high and I worked the product in for a few minutes?

Post Thanks / Like

Just used the 2.5 on my Topaz Blue BMW 2 weeks ago. I did the whole car with 2.5 on an orange pad, and was following up with 1 on a white LC pad when I I noticed some swirls still present on the vertical panels under bright lights :ticked. I guess I didnt work the orange pad long enough. I broke out a Yellow pad, and hit the car again with the 2.5 which not only got rid of the swirls, but it suprisingly enough, left me with a finish that was ready for the LSP. I went straight to AIO & SG and skipped another pass with SSR1. It really didint need it, and the finish looks

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    Yeah? You think that would work beter than SSR2 on a tamer PC speed? What if there are a few minor swirls? Would the SSR1 do the job on those if the PC was bumped up pretty high and I worked the product in for a few minutes?
    As you know every vehicle is different and everyones version of a swirl or scratch is different too. I would try the SSR1 first and give it a few passes especially if you think your cc is very fragile, if you find it`s not as fragile as you thought, then you can always get more aggressive with it.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

I'll bet I can wax that. Leyland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All I know is that pink and blue make a sweet shade of purple, and everything purple is good. Mix them together and see what you get? My life partner has used Poorboy`s SSRs before and he says that its good stuff. I`m sure you can get it detaled right if you just get in there and do it.
    Rainbow Detailing
    ...need a wax?

Thread Information