Post Thanks / Like

Smile Meg 205 & rotary

Hi
    I used Meg 205/rotary with CG black pad and after 2 passes at speed 600 rpm the products was a little bit hard to remove. I added QD and it was ok. Is that due to my speed is too low but also I worked for 3 passes and it was the same. Any advice.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meg 205 & rotary

I never use 205 with a rotary, but that`s just me....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mohebmhanna View Post
    Hi
    I used Meg 205/rotary with CG black pad and after 2 passes at speed 600 rpm the products was a little bit hard to remove. I added QD and it was ok. Is that due to my speed is too low but also I worked for 3 passes and it was the same. Any advice.
    There is not enough information you provided to give you any feedback..

"Used M205, Rotary, C/G black pad"

What is your total experience level with a Rotary in months/years?
    What kind of car? Year, Make.. ?
    Color of paint?
    Was the car washed and clay`d ?
    What is the condition of the paint after this step?
    Was the pad clean before use?
    Was the clean pad primed before use?
    How much M205 did you put on the pad?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan,
    here is the information:
    5 years
    BMW 2008 535i
    Color of paint?
    Jetblack
    Yes
    very smooth
    Yes
    No
    6 dots and the polish has been spread over 2x2 at speed 600 for one pass.

Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

from my experience bmw tend to have tacky paint and the polish sticks no matter how many passes or how much product was used.
    www.facebook.com/Ultimatecardetailingoc Please Like my FB if you like my work

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars 205 is one of those polishes that are really good at not being grabby. In fact, M205 tends to be one of the easier polishes to remove. What was put on the paint before hand? What polishes have you used previously? I tend to think there might be something going on with the surface of your car.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mohebmhanna View Post
    Hi Dan,
    here is the information:
    5 years
    BMW 2008 535i
    Color of paint?
    Jetblack
    Yes
    very smooth
    Yes
    No
    6 dots and the polish has been spread over 2x2 at speed 600 for one pass.

Thanks for your help
    mohebmhanna,

Great info !
    Appears you may know your way around a Rotary - this is great because I have been using Rotaries for over 40 years and have seen about everything in automotive paint shops, and my Detailing business..

I didnt get what kind of pad you are using - brand - type - size ..

I have personally had a few Bimmers in Jet Black (my favorite color), and Detailed probably over 100 more of Jet Black alone, and way, way, more other colors of Black.

Jet Black, as you know, is soft - probably the softest paint in the BMW line, and it has to be treated nicely or of course, it will show everything that is not so nice..

As the Guru of Detailing has already stated above, Meguiars 205 is really easy to use and remove and this is spot on in my experiences as well..

Not sure how much pressure you put on the Rotary, or how much defects the paint has, but I never have an issue putting a medium pressure on the rotary while working the product at speeds not exceeding around 1100rpm..

I have to watch how much heat is generated on this color and heating it up will certainly make it more apt to become sort of sticky...

This is again, another reason, why I never liked to go super high rpms on any paint with a Rotary; prefer to bring up the heat if any, very slowly and also a bonus is you get more working time with the product and pad, and this always helps the end result in my experiences..

So, you need to be doing this Jet Black in the shade at minimum, better still, inside to keep as much dust, pollen, etc., off of your work..

No flying out at 1000 rpm`s etc., right off the bat, start at the lowest, work the product around your target area, and make as many passes as you feel you need, (because you are really watching the paint here), stop, and take a look...

Personally I have never used Meguiars 205 on any Jet Black paint to start, because usually, they have more defects that require a little more cut from something in the Menzerna line, or even the Sonax line, to get the defects out quickly and with as little removal of clearcoat as possible..

I would also use only 5" or so pads on this 5 Series (and actually on about everything I do, except for big huge things like Vans, Airplanes, etc..

I like the smaller pads because there is for me, better control, and while it may take a little longer over a big long hood, roof, or decklid, I still like the result I get from a smaller pad.. You just need a few of them to properly complete the job... I might use 5-6 pads on a 535 in your color..

Im only referring to Foam pads in all the above; I have some microfibers, but have not fully integrated something that to me, looks like more work, than what I already have perfected...

Hope this helps you out ! There is nothing better than a beautifully compounded, polished, and finished Jet Black BMW !!!

I have a couple of extremely ruined Jet Black M5`s of the E39 variety on my website if you want to take a look..... Or I can send you some Before and After pics if it will help...

Good luck ! You are at the absolute best place for good, solid, honest, feedback and product support !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great information you provided.
    I would like to ask few questions regarding BMW jet black.
    1- if the paint has swirls "not much" - what products ( 2 stages) you recommend.

2- if the paint has swirls (very noticeable) what products ( 2 stages) you recommend

Could you please pointed out to me what Menzerna products/pads. Also, do you recommend to perform the correction ( first stage) using DA with MF cutting pads and in this case perhaps I could use Meg 105 or 100. Next, Meg 205 with LC crimson. Or Menzerna SI/LC Tangerine and follow up with Menzerna SF4500/LC crimson (all 5.5 pads)

Thanks much
    Moheb

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Todd
    To answer your questions the last product was Meg`s ultimate wax and when I washed the car during the dry process I used Meg`s GC QD to prevent more swirls induced to the paint.

Thanks

Thread Information