Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Body shops about to be very busy!

I couldn`t believe what I was reading. Found this on another forum and had to bring it to everyone`s attention.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._a_pro-gearbox

I can`t wait to get that first phone call to correct someone`s mistake. I will have to tell them there is nothing I can do and that they just cost themselves 5 times the money of a detail by a pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Body shops about to be very busy!

I nominate Todd to write to the "Backfires" section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Lord...
    This is hack job 101. It was probably writen in the 80`s lol. Its bad enough to call it "wheeling out a car", but to describe it as basically melting the paint, and to wax often to keep the swirl marks out rather than going on to explain the use of polish and foam pads? Surly to God the writers or editors of Car and Driver know to follow with polish. This is terrible advise all around.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the first laugh of the day....man im not as advanced as some of you but that article has the worst advice i have ever read!...almost as bad as someone telling someone mix some beach sand with some lotion and it makes a excellent compound! wow just wow :facepalm:

Post Thanks / Like

My god...! There is not a shred of good advice there, except maybe not to use bath towels.
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Please some write in to C&D....Then post the response.
    Jeff
    Immaculate Reflections Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... So thats why the paint is slighter thinner after polishing. Its melting and the clear that does not move into the swirls must be evaporating into the ozone.

Sadly, I fear for the people who will actually use this and try this on their car.

The before and after pictures are not even that much different....
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reality33 View Post
    Sadly, I fear for the people who will actually use this and try this on their car.
    I`ll submit invoices to Car & Driver for corrections I do as a result of owners trying this method.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice article. I`ll be sure to follow that on my next job

Now I bet a ton of people will try this because they read it in the magazine and it must be true. No wonder I see so many bad looking cars on the road

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the middle of compounding a dark blue Caravan today when I read this. I almost swirled the daylights out of it, greased up the tires real sloppy like, and took a couple pics to send in to them thanking them for the article

Post Thanks / Like

That`s the second time I have heard the "melting the paint" explanation. I just started dating a girl who explained to me that she took her truck to a car wash to remove what I call AZ pin stripes. Basically her black Tacoma got some scratching from bushes when she went camping. I asked her where she took it and she said "car wash". OK? Can I see it. Actually the guys did a pretty good job. She asked me if her paint was now thinner and I said yes but its hard to say how much without measuring it. Anyway, she said they told her that polishing it melts the paint and "moves" it. WTF does that mean. I just kept quite. I mean the truck looks good so they didn`t screw it up too badly. She is now concerned about oxidation because of the diminished clear coat. (If we get serious) I will offer to protect the paint. I know, nice guy right? I`m waiting to see where we go.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TID10 View Post
    That`s the second time I have heard the "melting the paint" explanation. I just started dating a girl who explained to me that she took her truck to a car wash to remove what I call AZ pin stripes. Basically her black Tacoma got some scratching from bushes when she went camping. I asked her where she took it and she said "car wash". OK? Can I see it. Actually the guys did a pretty good job. She asked me if her paint was now thinner and I said yes but its hard to say how much without measuring it. Anyway, she said they told her that polishing it melts the paint and "moves" it. WTF does that mean. I just kept quite. I mean the truck looks good so they didn`t screw it up too badly. She is now concerned about oxidation because of the diminished clear coat. (If we get serious) I will offer to protect the paint. I know, nice guy right? I`m waiting to see where we go.....
    Oxidation shouldn`t be an issue any time soon. It would take a lot, and I mean A LOT of polishing to remove so much clear that the truck oxidizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Oxidation shouldn`t be an issue any time soon. It would take a lot, and I mean A LOT of polishing to remove so much clear that the truck oxidizes.

Ya, I wish I had seen the truck before she took it in. She just said it was the whole side and some were deep. I think the truck looks good. She came up with the thin clear coat idea on her own. I really didn`t feed her any ideas. She said her last car oxidized, I think it was just age not a polish job. She will be fine with the truck I think. If she is going to take the truck off road more I would like to Opti Coat it.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Body shops about to be very busy!

.very surprised......never thought about the pad cleaning technique..

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly this is a good article for 99% of the people who polish paint (and probably a far better technique then what most of them use now). If i told you the horror stories of how we polished paint when I was in high school it would be scary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information