Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
    Some questions are better left unanswered....X_X
    I just wanted to double check and make sure I havent lost my eyesight or even worse ,my mind!
    I will miss you TID! R.I.P !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    Great job Dave!:
    Im curious what that flesh colored thing is hanging off the deck post in the reflection?
    LMAO My neighbor has a fake cat mounted to the side of the post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the compliments everyone. :biggrin:

Thank you to Dan & Mike for all of the advice. I followed good advice and sound techniques.

Dan,
    The purple foam pad is awesome. Very easy to use and it really cu t my work time way down too. 1 pass, sometimes 2 and I was done. Remembered to spritz w/ water after 105 started to dry and then worked until dry again. Unlike the 5 or 6 with the 8207 yellow pad for 1 little test spot. I did the entire front door and hood faster in less time than I took for the test section. And, the scratch was almost gone. The paint looked pretty good after the PFP. I finished off with 205 on the black pad. I did 2 passes just to make sure it was like glass.

The rotary wasn`t as scary to use as a lot of people seemed to make it seem. :thumbup:

After I finish the paint I need to move on to the plastic/rubber and then tackle the interior. And then it`s on to my wife`s Rogue and maybe my brother in law`s vette.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
    LMAO My neighbor has a fake cat mounted to the side of the post.
    Ok thats it .........I have lost my mind and eyesight ! I thought it was something else entirely!

Im not responsible for anything I say or do anymore.:w00t:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
    Thanks for the compliments everyone. :biggrin:

Thank you to Dan & Mike for all of the advice. I followed good advice and sound techniques.

Dan,
    The purple foam pad is awesome. Very easy to use and it really cu t my work time way down too. 1 pass, sometimes 2 and I was done. Remembered to spritz w/ water after 105 started to dry and then worked until dry again. Unlike the 5 or 6 with the 8207 yellow pad for 1 little test spot. I did the entire front door and hood faster in less time than I took for the test section. And, the scratch was almost gone. The paint looked pretty good after the PFP. I finished off with 205 on the black pad. I did 2 passes just to make sure it was like glass.

The rotary wasn`t as scary to use as a lot of people seemed to make it seem. :thumbup:

After I finish the paint I need to move on to the plastic/rubber and then tackle the interior. And then it`s on to my wife`s Rogue and maybe my brother in law`s vette.
    Your a quick learner but never get too confident or cocky with a rotary. Its very easy to burn an edge with wool and compound and happens in a nano second .Taping the edges is a good idea . Also make sure to clean up compound splatter(doorjams ect...) right away or it can be very hard to do later on .

Also dont try to do too much in one day or you will be very sore the next day ! Happy your doing so well with your first rotary experience!:thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m definitely trying to stay within myself.

I should have stayed with the same routine for the rest of my truck. Did the rest with wool and 105 and then passenger`s side with the 205 and black pad. Thought the wool and rotary looked ok in the garage for the bed and top and then out in the sun I saw the swirls on the parts I didn`t use the 205. Still have a lot to learn.

So, Tuesday I`ll go over those areas with the 205 and then seal the panels.

The wife`s car will be broken down into a few days as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you are off to a great start! Remember that perfection is almost unobtainable on driven cars with our negative consequences.

Either you thin the paint so much that further polishing (required to keep it perfect) will be dangerous or you thin the paint so much that the UV protection (in the 1/5th of the clear-coat) is removed.

Settle on very good and you and your truck will be much happier in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 with Todd above - you have done just awesome right out of the gate; you know what you had before, and what you have now, and the difference is so wide, its even hard to believe, as even your friends at work have already said.

We always want to Detail out a Client`s vehicle so that there is the best possible clarity with the minimum amount of material removed from the paint, so that this can be done over again and again, etc.

You have no doubt, seen these guys, especially the guy who posted above me here, do unbelievable work on certain vehicles, whose owners want and pay for the Ultimate shine, etc., and perhaps dont drive these vehicles enough to need this level of Detailing very often anyway - or in other words, their baby`s are garage queens, show cars, etc..

We, on the other hand, have to use our D/Drivers every day and they sit out, and get hammered and all kinds of stuff, so when we bring them up to the level you just did, we for the most part, call it good, and next time its due, we do it again, hopefully early enough so that all that good work is not entirely gone and the next re-freshening will be easier.

I am sure when you are done, there will be no other truck around that can match the clarity and gloss you put on yours, and once the sun comes out for awhile, you will be blinding people who are crazy enough to look into the paint with the sun reflecting off of it.

Again, congratulations on a job well planned, studied, thought out, and executed !! Yes, it is hard and tedious, we all can agree with that, but the satisfaction you get and improvement and protection you have given your paintwork is totally worth it, don`t you think ?

Glad to help, hope we see and hear from you again, and keep on doing what you are doing so well !! Have lots more experiences, etc., to give you with the other parts, of your vehicle, and look forward to helping you Beautify America - One Car at a Time !

Thanks Proper Auto Care, for being there with the right products for Dave, and for all the help and advice you offered him.
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that the truck can`t be perfect due to the condition when I started. I`m not expecting much from the sides of the bed and tail gate and after this polish and seail I`ll only use the 205 with black pad to touch up maybe twice a year as needed. At least I got it to a good starting point to maintain.

I don`t know if I ever posted that I did this with a Harbor Freight $35 rotary. I`ve read a lot of posts by people stating these rotaries are junk and don`t maintain speed or have the power. I didn`t respond to any of those posts until I had a chance to really get into working with the tool. I`d have to disagree with those comments about the tool. While they probably aren`t as good as a Mikita in durability for the weekend warrior they will do the trick.

What really got me motivated on my truck was a coworker wanted to know why I`m willing to spend so much time on my truck and why I don`t just take it to Zebart and have them seal it. I told him that all they are doing is sealing over the scratches with filler to hide the scratches and they are still there. I also told him I was going to prove to him that polishing and sealing a vehicle will look much better than taking it to a place that doesn`t really care about detailing your vehicle the right way. I can`t wait to show him pictures here at work and in person when we go golfing this Friday.

I plan on placing our new vehicle on a schedule right away so it never gets to the sad state my truck was in. The dealership must have dry toweled the car.

I`ll keep posting my adventures in detailing as I go along. Thanks again to all of you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information