Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont want to be a AMG wannaBE

Well you have a C240 so I was wondering, do you find the engine powerful enough. I dont want to shell out the extra money for the 320 so I was wondering, do you think getting the 6-speed would help? Also, I noticed that on the regular seats that they are half power? I saw switches on it but they didnt work, but it still had a manual back and forth lever. Another thing, how do you find the car overall, I really love the styling and everything but I havent gotten a good chance to drive one. Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Need some advise on Pearl White Paint

I have a job for a pearl white Toyota Solora. The issue is that something was splashed on the hood. Whatever it was is deep in the paint. There are no signs that the hood has ever been painted but when I measured the paint thickness I found the reading are from 150 to 175 microns. I am guessing that when painted the base white is laid down followed by the pearl then the clear in turn giving higher readings. I played with the hood today working my way up to 105 on PFW with my rotary and there is still some staining that remains in the paint. My question is how much clear do I have to play with to try to pull out as much of the stain as I can?
    Thanks

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call me Chad or bring it over for me to look it.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broker99 View Post
    I have a job for a pearl white Toyota Solora. The issue is that something was splashed on the hood. Whatever it was is deep in the paint. There are no signs that the hood has ever been painted but when I measured the paint thickness I found the reading are from 150 to 175 microns. I am guessing that when painted the base white is laid down followed by the pearl then the clear in turn giving higher readings. I played with the hood today working my way up to 105 on PFW with my rotary and there is still some staining that remains in the paint. My question is how much clear do I have to play with to try to pull out as much of the stain as I can?
    Thanks
    There is no way to really know how deep the staining is until you remove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    There is no way to really know how deep the staining is until you remove it.
    I was going to say the same thing. If you could post just a couple of pictures of it, it might give us a better idea of what exactly is going on with it. Does it appear to be something actually spilled or is just bird crap? About the only thing I know that you wont be able to remove would be brake fluid. Pretty much as soon as it hits the paint its through the clear. Just about anything else, might make the clear in that spot thin but shouldnt have gone all the way through it.

You are correct on how they lay the paint down. Its a `tri-coat` system. first is the primer, then white base coat, then pearl, then clear. I`ve shot lots of pearls. They are tough paints to work with in the `during` process and what you are doing now.

I have seen what you are talking about though in factory paint jobs where a panel has a splotchy effect to it. In the end it was just a bad panel spray job from the factory. Not saying this is what you are encountering but it can happen.

Post pictures
    Michael Glissman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information