Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscarora Dave View Post
    Thanks Bill, how many hours does it take you using a DA and the Surbuf pads?
    Loaded question there Dave ^#(^ I`ve had my Surbufs for about a month now and sad to report I have not yet mastered these things yet. I really gotta to find the time to do this :soldier:

Another thing is you should ask your customer of his satifaction level is at this point. If he isa wanting to go to the next level then in my opinion I would go with Rotary and Wool. Then follow down with the DA. Remind your customer that with each level there will be a certain amount of clear removed. Which in turn leaves that much less wiggle room for future corrections :-?

On a side note...I`m watching Trouble take a dump out my window. That always gets a chuckle or two out of me for sure :-B

Post Thanks / Like
    OK I made some progress today. I did the M-105 step today and it`s coming around. I can only work on it when the shop is open so I only got 5 actual polishing hours in today. I`ll go back in the morning to do the M-205 step and hopefully get the LSP on it. Here`s a couple of pics of today`s progress.

Thanks to all of you that helped me out with your thoughts and suggestions. I put the wool pad out of my vocabulary for this job and went with a foam polishing pad instead. Wool would have been working backwards is what I found out after a test section with the foam pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscarora Dave View Post
    Thanks Bill, how many hours does it take you using a DA and the Surbuf pads?

I depends on how bad the paint is... for light swirls, I`ve done C5/C6 Corvettes in 4-5 hours. For BAD swirls, it may take 10-12 hours.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool I may know your Problem....and can help

Sir, you have to at least tape off all your edges...2inches. then some one with experience should block the car out with 2000 wet snd paper. clean wrm water and soap in bucket. with soft block. then repeat same thing in a cross hatching motion with 3000 da paper with the soft block....this will take day then the next day for (wool) then white foam pad, with compound, then after car tape removed....do not touch with rag.... go right to the black foam pad polish ......your compound should be 3m also call me at Rocco`s collision repair in Philadelphia pa.....215 756-3888 my name is Alfred Morrell.:driving:

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had fantastic luck with the Surbuf Pads and M105 as well. It`s very quick as well and easy to finish off. Just watch those sharp edges!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill is 100% correct. The Corvette`s have a very hard clear. Takes quite a bit of work to get the small scratches out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of my business is C5 or C6 corvettes. I find I get awesome results with the Menzerna Ceramic polishes. I use the 106fa and/or 085rd for my finishing polish and 3m Medium Compound Perfect It III for the initial correction. I am mostly using my rotary and the Flex 3401 and find even the really bad finishes like you are working on come out very nice with like 90% of the swirls and RIDS removed. It usually takes me 8 to 10 hours for a full correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    I`ve done many of these and I`ve had the best luck on late model rock-hard Corvette clearcoat, with Surbuf pads/105 (with Griot`s DA) for the initial cut. Then I follow up with M205 on a white pad to remove the hazing created by the Surbuf.

Looks like you have a good start!

I also specialize in these plastic beasts and am a owner of one also, so I have done many, as Luster had mentioned above, this combo works great , I also have found that Corvettes respond very well to the new MEG DA- Microfiber system, I have had success with removing at least 75% of correction the first pass, I also use the Griots machine (more torques and able to add more pressure while not bogging over the PC).

As far as a paint guage for Composites, expect to pay upwards around the $1500.00 range for a quality composit depth guage, your working on a C5 corvette, looks like a Z06, so were talking 2001 to 2004, The clear is a Harder then the previous year corvettes , but a little mor forgiven then the new C6 standard corvette, then step up to the new ZR1 Clear which alone costs GM in the area of $10,000 a quart, in that ball park, Im sure Luster can elaborate on that,hehe.

In a nutshell, I have very seldom had to use a rotory on a Corvette, have had to wet sand a few, but like others have mentioned , practice, practice.

MEG 105/205 should be sufficiant, but then again, has the car been repainted and re cleared at one time, questions that the owner should be asked if they know.

www.gkpaintcorrection.co if you want to check out picks of some of the vettes that I have completed,

GLTaking picture
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

***1996 DRM LT4 11k original miles****
    2010 NCCC Concours 1st place C4 modified, scored 98.5/100.

G&K Paint Correction Team

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Loaded question there Dave ^#(^ I`ve had my Surbufs for about a month now and sad to report I have not yet mastered these things yet. I really gotta to find the time to do this :soldier:

Another thing is you should ask your customer of his satifaction level is at this point. If he isa wanting to go to the next level then in my opinion I would go with Rotary and Wool. Then follow down with the DA. Remind your customer that with each level there will be a certain amount of clear removed. Which in turn leaves that much less wiggle room for future corrections :-?

On a side note...I`m watching Trouble take a dump out my window. That always gets a chuckle or two out of me for sure :-B
    I have always been wanting to ask how many corrections can you do in a car? I know it all depends on how think is it and how much clear you removed per correction.

What is there to do when there`s no more clear??

No more corrections can`t be done??

"You can help create your own luck, you can make things happen through hard work and intelligence."- Donald J. Trump

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information