Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a meeting in Irvine yesterday, and when it was finished I stopped by the Detailing Depot in Costa Mesa.

While I was in the store, a Meguiar`s sales representative pulled up and parked in the space right next to me. The Meguiar`s truck was a black Ford Expedition with "Meguiar`s" decals all over it.

Interestingly, the Meguiar`s truck looked great...but mine looked better!

Seriously, though, the Meguiar`s truck was extremely well-detailed, but it was nothing exceptional. I thought that a truck from a detailing products company might emit an otherworldly glow or something, but it didn`t. Most of our vehicles look just as good.

I was glad to see that most Autopians are achieving results just as good as those achieved by the professonals.
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at Detailing Depot last weekend buying stuff. Owner is a real nice guy. Bought a bunch of stuff for my PC.

I`ll bet that Meguiars truck has mega miles on it. It`s pretty tough to keep a vehicle looking "otherwordly" when it being driven 3000 mile a month. I`ll bet ya $10 they don`t wash their own vehicles; prolly got mobile detailers or customers taking care of those things. Don`t forget the reps job is to sell product, not to wash trucks. They can hire someone to do that.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe any car can look amazing with the proper care.....

My 1996 Z-28 was bought new in 1996 and was an outdoor, non garaged daily commuter. I drove 150 miles a day round trip for work and put about 35-40K miles a year on it. These were hard NJ turnpike miles. It did have it`s share of stone chips in the hood, but from 10 feet away it looked amazing..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Best thing about Detailing Depot is that they offer free detailing seminars on location by Meguiar`s people. It`s interesting stuff, the courses vary and are free! They last about 2.5 hours each. Next time you`re at Detailing Depot, ask them about the course schedule.

BTW, I`m located about 2 mins from Detailing Depot...next time you guys head there, drop me a line!

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailing Depot? I`ve seen it a few times, but never thought about stopping. Sounds interesting! :up

Heres the site btw, www.detailingdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    They also have a maroon van I seen around town. Nothing special. Looks like maybe they take it to a car wash every other day. I don`t think it is their "show vehicle". I`m sure if there is a promo somewhere they would pack the heavy artillary. probably just their running around cehicles.

TBone

Post Thanks / Like

Rotary Backing Plate question

Can I use a 5 inch backing plate with 6.5 inch pads? Is the plate too small to be affective?
    Joshua 1:9- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be affraid, nor dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBumper View Post
    Can I use a 5 inch backing plate with 6.5 inch pads? Is the plate too small to be affective?
    Yes, it will a little too small for use and you won`t get the most use of the pad.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a 6" bp.

Post Thanks / Like

Because of the action of a rotary it is will work okay. The outer edges of the pad attached to a rotary are going to move at a fairly quick pace in a curved line, so the action is transfered to the outer edge. You will loose some cutting power, but the net effect wouldn`t be as bad as using too small of a backing plate on a DA (a five inch plate with six.five inch pads for example).

A DA is constantly changing directions, so it needs the firm attachment to fully transfer it`s motion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I`m glad to hear that I`ll be able to use the one I have right now. Just out of curiosity, which backing plates do you like and should I get a 6" plate? I was going to get a Lake Country plate, but read that they started failing on people while they were polishing. That would be no bueno.
    Joshua 1:9- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be affraid, nor dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Meguiars W66 backing plate .Angelo turned me onto that one .
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post

+1 with Adam and Angelo. The first time I used it, I was hooked. I heart the W66, plus it makes polishing so much easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post

+1 with Adam and Angelo. The first time I used it, I was hooked. I heart the W66, plus it makes polishing so much easier.
    I agree with them. The w66 is a great bp for your rotary to acomodate 6.5 pads. Asphault pointed me in that direction and it was one of the best purchases I made

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    I agree with them. The w66 is a great bp for your rotary to acomodate 6.5 pads. Asphault pointed me in that direction and it was one of the best purchases I made
    I`m currently using W68. But curious about W66. Curious how those 2 BP compares each other. Anybody have experience with both BP, please chime in.
    Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information