Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not had any problems with my duster. I only let about 1/2 inch of the bottom of strands touch my paint. I NEVER rub the duster over the surface, I very lightly glide the duster over the surface.

I know how the scratches occur though. I have see some people at car shows actually using them like scrub brushes and trying to remove dirt from the finish, needless to say Scratch City!!

I agree with Brad`s logic, if used properly they are a great tool, but if used improperly, watch out!!

Post Thanks / Like
    is treated with "Kid Gloves" I`ve never had an issue with mine. It`s not rocket science either. You don`t use pressure when using it. I let it just touch the surface and move it across.

Ripsnort you`ll do more damage with your Boar`s hair washing brush...

If you want to be really auto-minded, get one for the Bimmer and keep the other for the truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    hook, a simple but brilliant idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey JazzyJack, I posted awhile back that you guys WERE correct about the boar`s hair brush, I took it back to Griots and they confirmed they could see the micro scratches from the brush (Used it very lightly, two-bucket method). Got my $70 bucks back, ordered a Porter cable to buff out the micros scratches...theres not alot of them, but to the keen eye and right sunlight, you can see them.

I might add, my car goes from garage to garage, home and work. As I mentioned earlier, after I buff everything out, I will use the duster (granted the weather holds up) for 5 days and report my findings.

Thks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    ZV makes a good point that my cars are pretty "babied". I have, however, used the Duster on several darker colored cars I have owned and under some less than ideal conditions.

I don`t dispute that microscopically, the duster will cause scratches or marring. <strong class=`bbc`>Everything[/b] that touches your paint causes scratches. Microfiber, dusters even <strong class=`bbc`>wind[/b] causes scratches. It`s the ones visible to the naked eye we worry about most.

It just comes down to technique and good judgement, I think.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like

Can I use an ELU as a polisher?

I was cleaning out one of my tool cabinets and ran across an ELU 2717 7"/9" (Black & Decker) polisher. It is variable speed with an 8amp motor.

Can I use this as a polisher? It looks a lot like the Makita 9227 but has a straight handle on the side versus a handle across the top.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not familiar with that machine. I even did a Google search and couldn`t find one. Does it say the word "polisher" on it?
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats an ELU?

Can you remove the backing plate?

Got a Pic?

There ^ I answered your question with 3 more. Hope this helps :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I can gather ELU was the original producer, bought by Black & Decker it was for a time sold under the name ELU (Black & Decker). Yes, under the model number it does say "sander/polisher".

Here`s a picture of the current model B&D makes and sells under the Dewalt name:

The main difference is my older model has a larger motor and a heavy duty metal body versus the plastic Dewalt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you put another backing plate on that model? If not, you could still use it with an old style wool pad I suppose

I had a metal cased Black-n-Decker once. My forearms had never been so big. That thing musta weighed 25 lb`s :doh:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MB Fan View Post
    From what I can gather ELU was the original producer, bought by Black & Decker it was for a time sold under the name ELU (Black & Decker). Yes, under the model number it does say "sander/polisher".

Here`s a picture of the current model B&D makes and sells under the Dewalt name:

The main difference is my older model has a larger motor and a heavy duty metal body versus the plastic Dewalt.
    If it looks like that picture and it says "polisher", then yes, I don`t see why you couldn`t use it.

I have an old hood in my garage that I use to practice on. I`d highly recommend something like that. (Or maybe one of your kids beaters!):wink:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wikipedia says:

ELU, a German tool producer now part of DeWalt
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Can you put another backing plate on that model? If not, you could still use it with an old style wool pad I suppose

I had a metal cased Black-n-Decker once. My forearms had never been so big. That thing musta weighed 25 lb`s :doh:
    Yes, I think I can put another backing plate on it - it has a threaded 5/8" spindle. Speed control is 0 - 3,000 RPM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MB Fan View Post
    Yes, I think I can put another backing plate on it - it has a threaded 5/8" spindle. Speed control is 0 - 3,000 RPM.
    Well then, looks like you found a buried treasure :Gift:

As little as you will be using a rotary. I think this one will be fine. And the price is just right ancing Dot:

Be carefull with that thing. Street Dreams has a new video that may be very usefull for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Well then, looks like you found a buried treasure :Gift:

As little as you will be using a rotary. I think this one will be fine. And the price is just right ancing Dot:

Be carefull with that thing. Street Dreams has a new video that may be very usefull for you
    Actually it was Street Dream`s video that made me realize, "hey I`ve got a machine in the garage that looks like that one!" :w00t:

Here`s a pic...

I guess my next step is to call PAC and get the right backing plate. Then maybe do some extra curls with a dumbbell so I guess used to heaving this thing around!

Thanks all for your advice - much appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information