Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time with Rotory. No micro marring?

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    ..2400 RPM is a bit high IMO for most of today polishes/compounds. I`m usually no more than 1800, usually closer to 1500 and even lower for final finish passes.
    Interesting, things have changed since the final time I ran the Rotaries (well, maybe not for the final finishing, but generally..).

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we used to run them at 3000rpm back in the early 90`s. That was volume/body shop work though. Today it`s work smarter, not harder.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I tried yalls suggestions and didn`t see anything. Damn white is so bright in direct sun didn`t help, but lm going to look again a little later. With what Dan said about my products I probably didn`t get anything to crazy.
    I have found the darker the surroundings the better I can see swirls. I have had the best luck in the garage at night with halogen lights or 5000K led. Turn off the other lights and the true condition of even white is evident.
    I have used LED light bulbs on a photo stand, and recently picked up the Astro Pneumatic version of the Scan Grip flood light, which is great to work with.
    Likes Stokdgs, bodidly22 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    I have found the darker the surroundings the better I can see swirls..Turn off the other lights and the true condition of even white is evident..
    Yes, exactly! That`s basically how I inspect everything, and not just vehicles, for marring.

For major defects, especially on lighter colors, I`ll go about it differently, but those are flaws that I can readily see, and I`ll still switch back to "dark environment/point-source lighting" once I`ve made some significant progress. Seeing flaws that`re so bad that they`re *texture* issues is just different, at least for me.

Post Thanks / Like

First time with Rotory. No micro marring?

Thanks for the tips guys. I took the rotary to my wife’s dark metallic blue Tahoe last weekend and it looked great to me afterwards. I’ll never use my DA again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I took the rotary to my wife’s dark metallic blue Tahoe last weekend and it looked great to me afterwards. I’ll never use my DA again.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, that your a young fella. One thing I learned a long time ago is NEVER SAY NEVER
    or always

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish View Post
    It is not impossible to finish down with a rotary.
    Of course its not- its done thousands of times a day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt, that your a young fella. One thing I learned a long time ago is NEVER SAY NEVER
    or always
    I use to do that... take things to literally. Now days no one will hold you to a never or always. In fact they want to hear a never and always to give themselves warm fuzzies about what you said.

These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Much as I like incandescent lighting for inspections, it won`t show rotary-induced holograms unless they`re really awful. THAT is the challenge with a rotary- avoiding those, especially the really light ones that are murder to spot. Only one of my LEDs is good for spotting those, and it`s not as good as the SunGun. Natural sunlight is good, but I`ve had to *really* mess around moving the vehicle so the sun hits it *JUST RIGHT* while a competent assistant does the inspecting. My wife and I have spent *HOURS* over the course of several days (only had brief periods when the sun was just right) chasing holograms that most people would probably never see, but neither she nor I wanted to drive it until they were 100% gone.

Dozerboy- None of the above means that you didn`t get it right! If so, congrats! If not, eh..just DA/RO `em away under the right lighting.
    Wow, wish I could get my wife to be anti-hologram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Wow, wish I could get my wife to be anti-hologram.
    Heh heh, it actually strikes me as weird that some here don`t get their families all on-board with the Autopian Standards thing...Accumulatorette went from zero to full-Autopian in no time as soon as we discussed the whole thing.

Eh, we just married the right people in each other. We basically have the exact same values, including simply "doing everything in Life properly." Most cosmetic imperfections, especially holograms/swirls/"the usual marring" are the result of doing something improperly, and we both try to never do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh...even *I* will agree that it`s not impossible to finish out perfectly via rotary! I just can`t do it every time on b/c paint and saw (past tense, sold the rotaries ) no point in trying.

Post Thanks / Like

It was no big deal for me to pick up a DA or a Cyclo and perfect my polishing job after I used a rotary. Standard procedure for me.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    It was no big deal for me to pick up a DA or a Cyclo and perfect my polishing job after I used a rotary. Standard procedure for me.
    That`s what I did before today`s [stuff], but doing it with a V1.0 PC was so time-inefficient it was like torture whenever the Cyclo couldn`t handle the contours.

And I`ll note that for some reason the holograms on that Yukon XLD ("Granite metallic") were simply *MURDER* to get out..and that was after we managed to spot `em. By the time we finished that one, and then that e36 M3 (oh what was that paint called?!? Coppery metallic..Byzanz or somesuch, yeah, that`s it) was hard too, literally; the hardest paint I`ve *EVER* worked, much harder than (get this)...white ss Imron!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information