Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

harbor freight or snap-on?

Im a hobbist detailer and Im looking at getting a rotary buffer(i have used them before and also have a beater i can get more practice on before it hits the wifes car) I have a friend who works for snap-on as the snap on tool guy(drives around the big truck) and can get a steal of a deal on a buffer, but also harbor freight has this 7 in. 10 Amp Variable Speed Polisher

or this 7" Electronic Polisher

the second one starts out at 1000 rpm, which is a little high, but I still think it will work.

its hard to beat a 40-50 dollar bufer... even if it lasts two polishes i think its worth it., but is worth it in the long run to get one that (should) last forever?

the snap on one starts out at 200 rpm and has a variable trigger as well I dont think any of these do.

Anyone used any of these polishers or any of their predicessors?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: harbor freight or snap-on?

You don`t get what you don`t pay for. A better question is, what makes you think that you need a rotary? Are you doing some pretty serious correction on some pretty hammered cars? I don`t know of anyone here that uses a Snap-On rotary buffer but that doesn`t necessarily mean that there`s anything wrong with it. It couldn`t be worse than Harbor Freight. Why not a FLEX 3401 instead? You`ll have that for quite a long time and it doesn`t require as much experimentation as a rotary. It will finish down better too if you are relatively inexperienced with a rotary.

- Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Just get a Rupes 15 or a Flex 3401, you won`t beat the speed, quality and most of all the ergnomics of those machines. If your on budget the griots garage 3rd gen 6 inch DA is your machine. Forget snap on or HF, an I wouldn`t waste my time with a rotor unless your doing serious corrective work where time is paramount.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not familiar with a snap on polisher but if its anything like their hand tools in terms of quality I would get it (for the right price). I`ve heard good things about the harbor freight polisher as being a great tool. Just skeptical of a polisher that costs $40.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is a good deal gonna run you for a snap on polisher? I can`t imagine it`ll be very cheap. That may have some influence on your decision considering I have heard from many people about how their makita rotary polisher has lasted them years and years. Also having just picked one up myself the build quality is very very nice. And IMO you can`t beat the $200 price tag for a tool that`ll last a very very long time.

Depending on what you would end up paying for the snap on you may want to look at other options for a polisher based upon what you get for your money. Nothing against snap on, but I always like to see what the professionals with years and years of experience reach for when they need to polish. And I don`t really see anyone using snap on polishers too much

Post Thanks / Like

I do have some pretty heavy corrective work to do, and want to get more skilled at using a rotary, thats not to say im relativley inexperienced, but im no pro either. I dont want a random orbit as it cant get as deep as i want or need, and I would consider the flex xc3401vrg but i can get the snap on for less than half that. My buddy can get me one for less that a makita rotary. thats such a steal I dont know if i can pass it up. I deffinetely want to stick with a rotary.

thank you for all your quick replies. I dont want to sould like im rude or anything, I really do appreciate your advice

Post Thanks / Like

I have been around the detailing forums since 2008 and on a few Facebook detailing groups for a couple years now and you are the first person I have ever heard say anything about a Snap On rotary polisher, that says a lot to me. The big ones I see people using and gravitating towards is the Makita 9227C, Dewalt (not sure on model) and the Flex rotary. Many of the people that use these daily usually pick one of those three for a reason. I am also on a Facebook mechanics group and can tell you that Snap On is basically referred to as the rape train by every one of them.... but they still buy it. I have thought about going rotary for many years, my pick would definitely be the Makita, but the longer I wait, the less I see a need for a rotary. If I was a shop owner, doing this as my main source of income, or did a lot of fiberglass / gel coat then yes, a rotary would be essential. However, being a hobbyist I see little to no real need for a rotary especially with tools like the Flex and Rupes. I have done full correction with my Griot`s 6" from trashed paint to perfection and also as bad as full wet sanding to perfection and never had an issue. I probably could have saved a little time here and there if I had (and was skilled) with a rotary, but that little time in the grand scheme of things just isn`t worth it to me.

Post Thanks / Like

You may be surprised as to how good of correction work you can do with a random orbit polisher with today`s pads and compounds.

I understand your desire to learn the rotary as its a skill I want to learn as well so I won`t try to talk you out of it.

Do your research on this snap on polisher. Honestly the way I see it, aside from some having well balanced parts smooth operation and considering build quality, all rotary polishers do pretty much the same thing. Although you could make the same comparison between a Honda civic and a Cadillac. Ones just more refined than the other.

I`d say go for it. I`m sure it has some kind of warranty. Only issue I`d have would be if it has a non standard spindle. I believe the standard is 5/8-11. If its not what basically every rotary uses (even the harbor freight uses it) I would pass. Only because when you want to get different backing plates your options could be very limited based on what may be available
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I dont want a random orbit as it cant get as deep as i want or need

thank you for all your quick replies. I dont want to sould like im rude or anything, I really do appreciate your advice
    Hate to break it to you but things have changed, I can tell you I cut just as deep if not more then a rotary. Keep in mind I have a flex Pe-14-2 which is the Ferrari of rotary polishers. My Rupes cut faster an better then even the Flex PE and 3401 did. This was all done with a Rupes 21 + MF pads using the Kevin Brown Method.

Type II waterspots. These are shots from the Acura TL-S (The worst I`ve ever seen) an are YEARS old. Removed with the first pass an finished with 2 the second... The car literally changed color from a dull black to midnight blue metallic. The owner didn`t know the car was blue!

Slicing in, you see the haze through the light trails a little.

Here is the haze or as I like to call it light scarring. This was from 1 single pass...

Finished down with a second pass of 205, light pressure, Yellow for soft paint, Green rupes pad for normal clears.

Post Thanks / Like

Well,I do have more respect for random orbitals now. I still want a rotary, but wouldn`t turn one away if I found a smoking deal on one anymore. I`ll check on the threads on the snap on but I`ll probably go harbor freight until I get a flex or equivalent Orbital. Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

What about the harbor freight da polisher? It`s like $50

You can tackle quite a bit nowadays with meguiars mf pads and the newer compounds available

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, tell you what, get me a deal on some snap on stuff and I will send you a flex!

In alkl seriousness, I don`t know anyone using the snap on unit, if you have a link, I would look for you. But I can tell you, its the operator more than the machine. Trust me on that, you need a good enough machine. If you plan on using it 1x a year the HF will most likely do the job. If you want a better quality DA, get a Griots Gaarage 6", Flex or a Rupes unit. Your technique can make and or all look great or awful. That`s the beauty of detailing. It is the man and his machine, never the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Im a hobbist detailer and Im looking at getting a rotary buffer(i have used them before and also have a beater i can get more practice on before it hits the wifes car) I have a friend who works for snap-on as the snap on tool guy(drives around the big truck) and can get a steal of a deal on a buffer, but also harbor freight has this 7 in. 10 Amp Variable Speed Polisher

or this 7" Electronic Polisher

the second one starts out at 1000 rpm, which is a little high, but I still think it will work.

its hard to beat a 40-50 dollar bufer... even if it lasts two polishes i think its worth it., but is worth it in the long run to get one that (should) last forever?

the snap on one starts out at 200 rpm and has a variable trigger as well I dont think any of these do.

Anyone used any of these polishers or any of their predicessors?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a snap on buffer & it is a beast. Of you can get one cheap, do It. I have done a lot of heave correction with it and never had a problem. I would try to look at the Makita first. For the price, it might be a better deal & a little more versital

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Harbor Freight and a wool pad to do my 32` RV with no problems. I did not get the all electronic but opted for the one with the speed dial. It did approx. 960 square feet. I was using the air polisher but it was bogging down on the oxidation parts and really slowing things down. I have not tried it on paint yet but I do not foresee any problems.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had a couple Harbor Freight rotaries. Decent machines for the money, and they will last a while as long as your not running them every day like I was. They are much lighter than the Snap On machine. I`ve used Snap On buffers, and they are nice but pretty heavy. The old school guys will remember Sioux tools. The Snap On rotary is a rebranded Sioux. Now the Blue Point polisher they have is really nice, and priced competitively. It`s fairly light, built well, and is comfortable to run. I use a DeWalt 849x, and purchased it from Snap On because he offered me a great warranty with it. I paid a little more than I would have by ordering it online, but I needed it fast, and he had it on the truck. Turned out to be the best rotary I`ve ever ran, Snap On included.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    I`ve had a couple Harbor Freight rotaries. Decent machines for the money, and they will last a while as long as your not running them every day like I was. They are much lighter than the Snap On machine. I`ve used Snap On buffers, and they are nice but pretty heavy. The old school guys will remember Sioux tools. The Snap On rotary is a rebranded Sioux. Now the Blue Point polisher they have is really nice, and priced competitively. It`s fairly light, built well, and is comfortable to run. I use a DeWalt 849x, and purchased it from Snap On because he offered me a great warranty with it. I paid a little more than I would have by ordering it online, but I needed it fast, and he had it on the truck. Turned out to be the best rotary I`ve ever ran, Snap On included.
    If I remember right, the blue point is an air polisher?

I`ll talk to my friend to see if he has that dewalt or check the internet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information