Post Thanks / Like

Question Using a MF bonnet?

Hey everyone,

I was approached by my neighbor to do a paint correction job on his turbo 91 fastback. Since he has had it, it is a trailer/garage queen, but he is the umpteenth owner, and the body has been repainted an unknown number of times. There is severe oxidation on the rear bumper and wing in addition to what I strongly suspect is clear coat failure at various points around the body. Anyways, on to my question. Since this is kind of short notice (he needs it done before Sunday for a show), I do not have time to order the CCS orange pad that I want (I have the white, grey, and blue). Now, my (kind of) local pep boys has a "5-6 inch microfiber bonnet"; can I use this to cut through the oxidation? If yes, how do I use a bonnet? My common sense tells me to put it over a pad (white one since it is the most firm in my collection).

As far as products/tools, I will be using Meg`s UC for the oxidation and UP all around, with my gv110v2. After an IPA wipedown, I will apply a layer of 845 (love this stuff!! Spreads like butter).

Sorry for being long-winded. Thanks for reading.
    Slate Metallic 2015 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.8L CVT

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using a MF bonnet?

Quote Originally Posted by alexxxx89 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I was approached by my neighbor to do a paint correction job on his turbo 91 fastback. Since he has had it, it is a trailer/garage queen, but he is the umpteenth owner, and the body has been repainted an unknown number of times. There is severe oxidation on the rear bumper and wing in addition to what I strongly suspect is clear coat failure at various points around the body. Anyways, on to my question. Since this is kind of short notice (he needs it done before Sunday for a show), I do not have time to order the CCS orange pad that I want (I have the white, grey, and blue). Now, my (kind of) local pep boys has a "5-6 inch microfiber bonnet"; can I use this to cut through the oxidation? If yes, how do I use a bonnet? My common sense tells me to put it over a pad (white one since it is the most firm in my collection).

As far as products/tools, I will be using Meg`s UC for the oxidation and UP all around, with my gv110v2. After an IPA wipedown, I will apply a layer of 845 (love this stuff!! Spreads like butter).

Sorry for being long-winded. Thanks for reading.
    I have done that with AIO`s and it has worked very well. Not sure how it would work with UC though...
    Regards,
    <TED>

Post Thanks / Like

I have used microfiber bonnets for removing product but never for applying it. I am not sure how this would work. I think that I would try the white pads that you have with the UC. They won`t cut as much as the orange but should still do decently with the UC as it cuts pretty well itself.

If you decide to use the bonnets - use them over a firm foam pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies so far. I am operating with the thought process that MF bonnets should cut like MF pads. I am getting the feeling however that I am incorrect...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I too have only ever used the MF bonnets for sealant/wax removal. I`m not sure how you`d get them to stay on on speeds faster than 3 or 4 on your DA.

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave up on the bonnet idea and just went for it with the UC and white pad for the oxidation. It went pretty good.

This is the worst of the oxi.

This is after the second to last pass.

The pad got like this 3 or 4 times. Without a paint thickness gauge, I did not want to press my luck. I`ll snap a pick tomorrow of the deck lid with the KAIO, PBWD, and 2 layers of 845 I applied after compounding. The owner was stoked with the results and he can`t wait to see the rest of the car finished.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great !

Glad you decided to ditch the factory/etc., bonnet and use something you are more familiar with. See how good it turned out ?

My concern with an unknown bonnet type thing is you dont really know what kind of microfiber is on there, and is it good for correcting, polishing, both, or neither...

If I used microfiber, I would always want to buy the pads that were made of correcting and then the ones made for polishing/finishing...

Great work !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Using a MF bonnet?

Not totally sure with how to proceed with these CC problems. Probably just gonna tape over it and let it be.

This is the roof. You can see that the paint isn`t all bad. I`ll probably just KAIO, glaze and 845 everywhere after doing spot corrections.

Post Thanks / Like

Using a MF bonnet?

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Looks great !

Glad you decided to ditch the factory/etc., bonnet and use something you are more familiar with. See how good it turned out ?

My concern with an unknown bonnet type thing is you dont really know what kind of microfiber is on there, and is it good for correcting, polishing, both, or neither...

If I used microfiber, I would always want to buy the pads that were made of correcting and then the ones made for polishing/finishing...

Great work !
    Dan F

I appreciate that Dan.

I let my imagination get the best of me and thought that the oxidation was wayyy worse than it actually was. Also, I managed to find a specialty place locally that carries all kinds of products from auto geek/pbma, really everything I have been eyeing at the autopia store (iron x, nano skin sponge) with a minimal markup.

I`m excited for the next couple of days.

She`s a bad bad girl

Thread Information