Post Thanks / Like

Anyone use the Rupes LHR 12e for sanding?

I know it`s still a new product, but has anyone had any experience using the 12e for sanding? I have a `59 caddie coming up in a few weeks and I am thinking about placing an order for one.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone use the Rupes LHR 12e for sanding?

I have not. I would think the larger orbit of the Rupes would make it more aggressive than a standard PC DA. I am sure it can work if you are careful and know what you are doing. i think personally I would go with a PC style DA since it is the less aggressive method.

Todd`s Rupes Article: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...polishers.html

Post Thanks / Like

I have, and it works very well.

The larger orbit/stroke does make it cut a lot faster than a PC, but you`re still able to achieve uniform material removal.

Rupes puts such an emphasis on sanding with this machine that they launched the Duetto in this kit:

Rupes LHR 12E Duetto Random Orbital Polisher Deluxe Kit

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wanting to try the sanding discs that came with my duetto kit but kind of nervous to do so but mostly since I have never tried this before. Yet to find a beater that wants to let me experiment.

Brandt K.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Those foamy sanding disc ROCK on a duetto. Both of them mini and 12e. I`ve also used my 15 and 21 for sanding a many time. Just know what your doing because they work really fast. 12e is gonna be more forgiving but still works much faster than small stroke machines. I really like it because it goes so much faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I have been wanting to try the sanding discs that came with my duetto kit but kind of nervous to do so but mostly since I have never tried this before. Yet to find a beater that wants to let me experiment.
    Great idea practicing on a test vehicle first.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback guys. I`m very familiar with sanding with a DA so I think i`ll try out the Duetto. I`ll let you know how it turns out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AtoZDetailing View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I`m very familiar with sanding with a DA so I think i`ll try out the Duetto. I`ll let you know how it turns out!
    It used to be that "small stroke" machines were only used for DA -sanding. By small stroke, I mean less than 5mm orbits (or 3/16ths for us standard unit people). The reason was large stroke machines, because of the longer "curly que" and faster rotation were thought to create pig tails scratches.

However, in recent years we have seen a shift to larger stroke machines, used at lower speeds... Why???

The large stroke (12 mm in this case) does a better job at cleaning the area under the sanding disk. As you sand and remove material, it piles together in that small space between grain of the sandpaper and the paint. A small stroke rubs this built up over the same area quickly, almost burrowing it in. However a larger stroke moves the disk along, as well as allows more of the sanded material to be ejected.

The result? Faster sanding and a more uniform result! The best of both worlds.

I start around speed 3 and move up from there. With the large stroke you don`t want (nor need) a lot of pad rotation. Let the large stroke do the work for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutopiaTech View Post
    Great idea practicing on a test vehicle first.
    Always highly recommended!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    It used to be that "small stroke" machines were only used for DA -sanding. By small stroke, I mean less than 5mm orbits (or 3/16ths for us standard unit people). The reason was large stroke machines, because of the longer "curly que" and faster rotation were thought to create pig tails scratches.

However, in recent years we have seen a shift to larger stroke machines, used at lower speeds... Why???

The large stroke (12 mm in this case) does a better job at cleaning the area under the sanding disk. As you sand and remove material, it piles together in that small space between grain of the sandpaper and the paint. A small stroke rubs this built up over the same area quickly, almost burrowing it in. However a larger stroke moves the disk along, as well as allows more of the sanded material to be ejected.

The result? Faster sanding and a more uniform result! The best of both worlds.

I start around speed 3 and move up from there. With the large stroke you don`t want (nor need) a lot of pad rotation. Let the large stroke do the work for you!!!
    Todd, your never-ending research is why you are considered by most (myself included) to be one of the best, most well rounded detailers on the planet. The fact of the matter is you the research that others are too lazy to do, so you can explain coherently the reasons behind a major shift within the industry, and the underlying technology behind it. Well done, sir, on this, and all the science/tech related work you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radarryan View Post
    Todd, your never-ending research is why you are considered by most (myself included) to be one of the best, most well rounded detailers on the planet. The fact of the matter is you the research that others are too lazy to do, so you can explain coherently the reasons behind a major shift within the industry, and the underlying technology behind it. Well done, sir, on this, and all the science/tech related work you do.

Thank you. I have been very lucky to work with the best teachers in this industry. I cannot take credit for their knowledge but hopefully I do a fair job explaining it!

Thread Information