Post Thanks / Like

Looking to add my first DA to my arsenal

Before I begin I`ll just say ive watched numerous "how to choose" polisher videos over the internet, along with reviews of PC GG and flex. I still cannot choose and I`m looking for advice based on my situation...

Im a detail manager at a used car/SAAB dealer(still waiting for new to arrive). Ive been in the industry for going on 7 years now and have been using my rotary dewalt almost every day. Ive work with a number of rotary`s in the past but the dewalt I bought personally. My company purchased the cyclo about a year ago and I use it on and off. Just find it really odd to use because of working with a rotary for so long.

I`m looking for a DA for primarily polishing as I have my dewalt to do any heavy work I come across. I mainly work with higher end: Benz,bmw, audi, volvos(to name a few)usually in the 25-60k range used. I also do corrections on many other makes and models aswel.

I have no budget for this DA. I will purchase from my own pocket but my company will pay for all consumables.

If you guys can shoot me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to add my first DA to my arsenal

Well, how long can you wait? The new Ruples that came out at SEMA will be here before you know it, and if the price is right, say $200 or under, then we have the biggest game changer since M150/205 came out.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

For current available choices I would lean towards the Griot`s HD machine. It is considerably stronger than one would expect and has a heavy duty 16 gauge 25` cord. Since you are coughing up for it the lifetime warranty is certainly something to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually compound with the DeWalt and do everything else with the Griots. I`ve torn up 3 of them and the company has stood behind them and replaced them quickly with no questions asked. It has tons of power and is a really capable machine. The 3rd generation that you get now is even better than the 2nd because it has a nice rubber grip and the switch and speed control has been moved to a more comfortable place. Its no Rupes, but for the price its unbeatable imo. I would highly suggest using a 5 in backing plate with it though.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the griots DA and I really like that you can purchase both the 6in(I`d swap to 5in) and the smaller 3in in one package. My thing really is in don`t mind spending money, if its money well spent. I was looking a rupes 15/21es and find it nice that the 3in mini in coming soon!

Is it really worth spending the money on a rupes or flex hybrid In that case? Are the results/operation function really noticible? I`ll be using this machine daily and I always aim for as close to perfection as I can for higher end deliverys or showroom pieces.

Thanks for all the input so far guys, really appreciate it!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The Texas and Illinois men are spot on and here is why I would also agree with them.

The Griot machine has been around a few years and even though they sometimes blow up, the company here in WA., has stood behind them and I have never, ever, heard anyone saying they were denied a replacement.

The Griot machine has power, and can use smaller backing plates and corresponding foam or microfiber pads easily..

The Rupes is the darling of 2013 and looks like it has everything going for it.
    It has been improved by a very notable Detailer/Research maniac/great guy, who added a washer behind the Backing Plate, to allow it to spin freely, and this has apparently made the Rupes even better, because as we all know, it is pad rotation that makes the Detailing World go round, right ?

I have and use only rotary power for everything and can do this swirl and hologram free all the time. I also hate the vibration that you get from some random orbitals, so more incentive to get the Rotary and do it right the first time..

I also have one of the original Flex 3401VRG machines and it hardly gets used at all but if I ever run across something that needs less pad rotation (for whatever reason), I will put this machine on the paintwork..

Also have a Meguiars G110v2 random orbital with a 3" backing plate that I use only for polishing glass that has water spots, etc.. I like this machine because it is small and can be used with one hand easily..

Again, its all about pad rotation - and making it swirl/hologram-free... you use a Rotary, so you know how good that works...

You can think about the proven, Griots workhorse with a Lifetime Warranty, the Flex machine which is made by the same company that makes machines for polishing stones, and is german made pretty darn bulletproof, and has forced pad rotation, or the new Italian kid on the block, which is making some really nice paintwork corrections too, especially with the washer mod, but no reliability track record yet because its so new...

I know, Im not really helping...

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggo99 View Post
    Well, how long can you wait? The new Ruples that came out at SEMA will be here before you know it, and if the price is right, say $200 or under, then we have the biggest game changer since M150/205 came out.
    Price will be more than 200 for just the machine, to my understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Pad rotation isn`t as important as some would have you believe on a DA. The new Rupes are awesome polishers (the Duetto 12 and Mini 75).

The Griot`s DAs are nice, and powerful.

The Meguiar`s are nice, and comfortable.

However, Porter Cable (as well as the FLEX and the RUPES) is made by actual tool manufacturers. We sell more Porter Cables then the other polishers combined, and they are, by far, our least returned machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get a Griots 6" because of its price, power, and versatility. You can use any pad on it under 6.5". The Rupes Bigfeet are great on flat panels, but you will need another machine for smaller areas. Also, when I`m flip flopping between the Griots and the Rupes I appreciate the power the Griots has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I would get a Griots 6" because of its price, power, and versatility. You can use any pad on it under 6.5". The Rupes Bigfeet are great on flat panels, but you will need another machine for smaller areas. Also, when I`m flip flopping between the Griots and the Rupes I appreciate the power the Griots has.
    +1 and you can`t beat the Lifetime Warranty.

Thread Information