Post Thanks / Like

should i prime surbuf pads?

was wondering whats the best way to go with these pads...if i need to prime them first or not...thanks..and if theres any special technique with them as well

thanks
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: should i prime surbuf pads?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
    was wondering whats the best way to go with these pads...if i need to prime them first or not...thanks..and if theres any special technique with them as well

thanks
    jeff
    Hi Jeff, thanks for posting this to the forum!

For maximum performance with the Surbuf pads there are a couple of things that will work best, in my experience.

• Use them with a non-diminishing abrasives compound such as Meguiar`s M105, M86 (So1o), or Optimum Hyper Compound Spray.
    • Prime the pads on first use by adding product to the face of the pad and spreading with your thumbs. Add more product to cover the bare spots. Allow the pad to sit for 5-10 minutes. Then clean the pad with compressed air or a nylon pad brush such as the Pad Reconditioning Brush.
    • Unlike other pads, which require some pressure, you want to let the fibers of the surbuf whisk across the paint. When using 6.5 inch or larger pads the weight of the machine will be sufficient. When using 5.5 inch pads you may need to lift slightly. Because there is no pressure you want to use speed 4 or 5 to avoid excessive pad rotation which will pull the fingers outward (centrifugal force) and cause them to lay flat.
    • Clean the pad after EVERY section, again by pad brush or compressed air. Once you have primed the pad (first step) you only need to add three small drops of product for each additional section.
    • When the pads become saturated and matted it is time to switch to a fresh pad until the previous can be washed and dried.
    • Keep in mind that the Surbuf pads will leave a haze on the paint requiriing final polishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Hi Jeff, thanks for posting this to the forum!

For maximum performance with the Surbuf pads there are a couple of things that will work best, in my experience.

• Use them with a non-diminishing abrasives compound such as Meguiar`s M105, M86 (So1o), or Optimum Hyper Compound Spray.
    • Prime the pads on first use by adding product to the face of the pad and spreading with your thumbs. Add more product to cover the bare spots. Allow the pad to sit for 5-10 minutes. Then clean the pad with compressed air or a nylon pad brush such as the Pad Reconditioning Brush.
    • Unlike other pads, which require some pressure, you want to let the fibers of the surbuf whisk across the paint. When using 6.5 inch or larger pads the weight of the machine will be sufficient. When using 5.5 inch pads you may need to lift slightly. Because there is no pressure you want to use speed 4 or 5 to avoid excessive pad rotation which will pull the fingers outward (centrifugal force) and cause them to lay flat.
    • Clean the pad after EVERY section, again by pad brush or compressed air. Once you have primed the pad (first step) you only need to add three small drops of product for each additional section.
    • When the pads become saturated and matted it is time to switch to a fresh pad until the previous can be washed and dried.
    • Keep in mind that the Surbuf pads will leave a haze on the paint requiriing final polishing.
    thanks todd. appreciate the answer..i didnt know most od that stuff..and will come in handy! :thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like

thanks todd. appreciate the answer..i didnt know most od that stuff..and will come in handy! :thumbup:
    My pleasure!

Post Thanks / Like

It has been my expierence that the 6.5`s perform the best. Actually it was Kevin "SurbufDaddy" Brown who recommended this to me, and as usual he was spot on

Todd has a very nice article on these also but I can`t find it at the moment

If you can spring for it get 6 pads and change them out instead of using air. If not, just be sure the hairs are as straight up as possible before proceeding

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember that to prime all pads prior to use.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a backing plate..but it doesnt cover the whole pad for the 6.5..is there a bigger one..or will that plate be fine?

Post Thanks / Like

i have a backing plate..but it doesnt cover the whole pad for the 6.5..is there a bigger one..or will that plate be fine?
    You want the backing plate to cover as much of the pad as possible with a small lip for safety. If you use a 5 inch backing plate on a 6.5 inch Surbuff, you are only using 5 inches of the Surbuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    You want the backing plate to cover as much of the pad as possible with a small lip for safety. If you use a 5 inch backing plate on a 6.5 inch Surbuff, you are only using 5 inches of the Surbuff.
    thanks todd. ima order the plate from u guys tonite..

Thread Information