Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on older 6" griots

Those familiar with the older generation griots (10925 - non standard backing plate). how does this older griots compare to the newer griots or pc?

I got a "good deal" on a griots until I found out there was more than one generation. Now I`m trying to determine if I should just dump it or would it be acceptable for light correction and wax/sealant work?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on older 6" griots

Ive heard pretty bad things about the older machines. However, the new generation units are power houses and have a lifetime warranty. I have the 6 and 3 inch models and love both of them. If you have an older model and it works good, use it until it dies then spring for a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

The old one is junk. Only good as a wax applicator.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lornek8 View Post
    Those familiar with the older generation griots (10925 - non standard backing plate). how does this older griots compare to the newer griots or pc?

I got a "good deal" on a griots until I found out there was more than one generation. Now I`m trying to determine if I should just dump it or would it be acceptable for light correction and wax/sealant work?
    The older unit has a 3/16" stroke, the new one has the standard 5/16th stroke. The stroke, also known as the throw, is the distance that spindle is offset from the center of the motor.

Perhaps a simple way to explain the difference is using the Earth and the sun. The Earth orbits around the sun, at an average distance of 93,000,000 miles. So technically, the Earth has a stroke of 93,000,000 miles.

With a DA polisher, a longer stroke offers two benefits

• 1, the pad is traveling a further distance per orbit, so it is traveling at a higher rate of speed. This equals more friction on the paint`s surface, or more polishing power.
    • 2, the increased inertia from the increased whipping motion will impart more centrifugal force on the pad, making it want to spin faster/harder. This increases polishing power as well.

On the flip side, a longer stroke can possibly increase the risk of creating pig-tail like scratches if you are using your DA to sand.

By using the first generation Griot`s, you are giving up some polishing power to the newest DA polishers (including the Griot`s which all offer a 5/16th stroke). Whether or not it is worth it to upgrade really depends on your goals and your budget.

Thread Information