Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

I`m picking up a new car at the weekend (black VW Polo G40!).

The car is about ten years old, and although the paintwork is generally ok (it hasn`t faded, and there`s no bad stone-chipping at the front etc), it is swirl`d up pretty bad.

I`ve just got my PC7336, and I`ve got some PPCL lying around here. Will these work quite well together in removing some of the swirls?

What`s the procedure I should go through for applying the PPCL with the buffer...? I`ve got several foam pads that came with it, but that is all. Will these do?

Thanks!

-andy-

Post Thanks / Like
    PPCL is very light as far as abrasives go. If the swirls are bad you might want to try Meguiars #9 SMR or 3M SMR.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy

How or where did you get a PC from? Roughly how much does one cost?

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowe,

I ordered mine from Coastal Tools in the US. I don`t really know if you can get them here - I`m sure you could get something similar, but I`m lazy and couldn`t be bothered to do the research.

I think it was about $110, with another $40 shipping.

I also had to pay Ă‚£25 import duty when it came into the UK...

Probably a lot to pay - but then I guess, if you consider its the same as the Meguiars PC which they sell for over $200, its a little easier to accept.

Anyway, at least I now have a tool that is well known and recommended on here, so can get tips off everyone

-andy-

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowes $109.00 for PC 7336
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 4 3/8 backing plate??????

Would the cutting ability be different with the 4 3/8 backing plate and 5.5 inch pads compared to the 5.5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads on the Flex 3401. I was thinking about purchasing the 4 3/8 backing plate and was also wondering if people are using the 4 inch foam pads with the 4 3/8 backing plate with good results. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Time2Shine --

In my experience with the Smaller Flex backing plate for the 3401VRG, I use it with 5" pads and it works very well, since this is the intended size of pad it was made for. You will be amazed at how much easier it is to control this Flex with the 5" pad. I also noticed right away I get better rotation out of the smaller 5" pad too.

My Lake Country 4" pads are all too small in diameter for this backing plate, and I would venture to guess all 4" pads will be too small for it.

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be a threadjacker but I looked all over for 5" pads and could not find any.

I also wanted to switch to the 4 3/8 backing plate but could not find a Lake Country pad that was 5"??

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys --
    I am so sorry for referring to the pads as 5" when they are really 5.5", please forgive me..
    They work fine; you have to center them yourself, but its not hard. I would rather have a foam gap out in front and not the hard backing plate out there, in case you get too close to something that you dont want to touch..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update, wondering if the 5.5" pads are really that much smaller than the 6.5" pad??

While doing a search for 5" pads I found that the Chemical Guys sell Lake Country 5.25" pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Lazzman --

I just measured a very old design Lake Country White Pad purchased from TID years ago and its roughly 5.5" in diameter, and a new Lake Country Hydro-"Shred" Cyan Pad and its also roughly 5.5" in diameter.

Both these pads tend to be just shy of 5.5" but very close, and its hard to run a tape across a rounded beveled edge, so lets just say they are right at 5.5" give or take a 16th..

I then measured a 6.5" pad and yes, they are going to be at least 15/16 - 1" larger in diameter..

Have you looked at Lake Country`s website to see if they offer 5.25" pads? That might be more ideal for the 4-3/8" Flex Backing Plate, but in any case, the aforementioned pads above work great for my Flex when I use it.

If I need to go smaller like 3" and 4" , I have backing plates for my Rotary for both those sizes, and use the smaller Meguiars G110V2 with a 4" backing plate when I dont want to use a Rotary, like when I see the correction is going to be easy to remove rather quickly with the Random Orbital.

Good luck with this,
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like
    If I need to go smaller like 3" and 4" , I have backing plates for my Rotary for both those sizes, and use the smaller Meguiars G110V2 with a 4" backing plate when I dont want to use a Rotary, like when I see the correction is going to be easy to remove rather quickly with the Random Orbital.

This is my dilemma, i would like to have another machine whether it be a rotary or DA that i can use those smaller 3" and 4" pads. I currently own a 3401 and that`s it, so i`m leaning more towards a rotary. Maybe the new Flex PE14-2 or the Makita 9227 which is a lot cheaper in price compared to the flex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Guys --
    I am so sorry for referring to the pads as 5" when they are really 5.5", please forgive me..
    They work fine; you have to center them yourself, but its not hard. I would rather have a foam gap out in front and not the hard backing plate out there, in case you get too close to something that you dont want to touch..

Dan F
    I hear you on that one. I am using the 5.5" backing plate and a 5.5" pad and got to close to the hard plastic hanging over my bed rail and chewed up some of the foam on the backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me try this again -

I just found a 3" backing plate that has adapters for a normal Random Orbital - its a Meguiars S3BP I think, and it shows a bag of adapters including one or more that will fit a normal random orbital, but of course not a Flex, which has to have that geared and different connection backing plate. It looks like this backing plate is intended to be used with their little sanding disks (with an additional pad on top of this one), but it looks pretty darn easy to chuck on a 3" foam pad and go to work..

So, if you decide on getting another Random Orbital, like the Meguiars G110V2, the Griot, Porter Cable, then this 3" plate and a 4" plate will work just fine.

On the Rotary idea, I have both Makita 9227C and the new Flex PE14-250 and the Flex is smaller in length, lighter, has everything the Makita has, Except, it only runs to 2100 rpm vs the Makita`s 3000 rpm. This is only important if you like to dry your washed pads on the machine..

The new Flex likes to run hotter if you stay at lower speeds, so this may or may not be a good thing for you. I have not had it do anything wrong, but when it gets really hot I usually stop and let it cool down. Im always using a 12awg extension cord, so its not because of using too small an electrical cord either, its the nature of the machine - for me, anyway.

The Makita9227C will run all day and barely get that hot, but it IS bigger, bulkier, and not able to get into smaller areas because of its size, so then you have to see about getting extensions for the backing plate, (which I use), and then have to cover them with foam, etc., so they dont accidently nick something if you get too close..

So depending on your immediate needs, future needs, what you see yourself doing in your business, how quickly can you pay the price of the new tools back, etc.., you can mull this around awhile, ok ?
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information