Post Thanks / Like
    I was applying wax to my Passat yesterday when I noticed a paint chip in the rear where the sheet metal meets the bumper. But it`s not really like a chip. The paint is kinda hanging over the part of the car from where it came off (sorta like when you get a deep cut and the skin is still hanging over the wound).

Anyway, is this something I can take care of myself or am I going to have to take it in to a shop? I don`t want anymore paint to peel off nor do I want rust to accumulate. What do I do?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    In order to properly treat it you will want to break off the hanging piece of paint and sand down the edges of the paint around the chip. Then repaint and sand down again. I`m not that good at it and I know there are a few other guys on the board that can give you proper touch up paint techniques. If you want it fixed permenantly then you either need to do the touch up painting yourself or go to a paint shop and have them do it. There are quick fix things you could do but no true Autopian would ever suggest you just paint over it with some clear coat and wait for it to chip off anyway. Get it fixed right. Someone will see this thread and let you know how to do the repair yourself. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like

Question PorterCable 7424XP Question?

Hey Guys,

Just got a quick question. I have been wanting to buy a PorterCable 7424XP UDM Polisher, and the pads that have chosen to use it the 6Inch Kompressor pads.

Would i have to upgrade the counterweight on this polisher or does it already come with the 6 inch pad weight already installed??

Thanks,
    Viper

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used 6 inch and 5 inch pads using the stock weight with no issues. Also, I think PAC recommends using the 5 inch plate on the 6 in compressor pads so you should be fine. See what the other guys think.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipertwin175 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just got a quick question. I have been wanting to buy a PorterCable 7424XP UDM Polisher, and the pads that have chosen to use it the 6Inch Kompressor pads.

Would i have to upgrade the counterweight on this polisher or does it already come with the 6 inch pad weight already installed??

Thanks,
    Viper
    Hi Vipertwin, there is no need to change the counterweight on the PC for two reasons.

One, the counterweights are designed for quelling vibrations when DA sanding (the PC`s original job). Sanding discs have a much different weight then foam polishing pads, so even using a 6 inch counterweight (designed for a six inch sanding disc) is not going to weighed correctly.

Second, the counterweights have no effect on performance, just vibration. This is important for because of how stiff sanding discs are (backing plates covered with thin sheet of sandpaper). Because foam pads are much much softer, the foam structure absorbs much of the vibration, to the point that you will likely feel zero difference between the counterweights.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Sweet!

Hey Guys,

Viper here, I just want to say thanks for the info. I wish that pac would mention that in the description. This helps alot:notworthy:

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem Vipertwin! Good point about the description.

Thread Information