Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!:hurray:

Thanks for taking the time to write that, Todd. Not only did you answer my question, you explained it in a way that kept me from having to ask 17 additional ones. That was such a detailed, informative reply. I`ve spent most of my time at a different forum, and while helpful, I sort of slept on this one. Seems like a change may be in the air for me!

Thanks again, that was awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
    Wow!:hurray:

Thanks for taking the time to write that, Todd. Not only did you answer my question, you explained it in a way that kept me from having to ask 17 additional ones. That was such a detailed, informative reply. I`ve spent most of my time at a different forum, and while helpful, I sort of slept on this one. Seems like a change may be in the air for me!

Thanks again, that was awesome!
    My pleasure Mike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post

Speed is not necessary (and almost unwanted) when final polishing your paint with a random orbital style machine polisher. There are at least 3 separate reasons why this may be the case.

First , reducing pressure (which is necessary to allow the pad to rotate faster) is will reduce the amount of motion the machine can transfer to the paint, through the pad. The way an orbital works is by mimicking the way you polish by hand if you where `waxing on`. If you place your hand on a sponge (like a dishwashing sponge) and do little hand circles (wax on/wax off) you will notice that the top of the sponge (where you are touching it) moves with your hand/ the part of the sponge touching the counter will not move at all. The sponge will jiggle on itself like a bowl of Jell-O. If you press a little harder on the sponge you will (not hard, but firm) be able to slide the sponge across the counter top with your hand.

We want to the orbital motion of the DA to transfer in full to the paint, so even when final polishing, we want to use enough pressure to take of the slack in the pad, and cause it to lightly polish the paint.

Secondly, when you increase the pad`s rotational speed (by reducing pressure) on an orbital, you cause it to create a tighter patter of curly cue`s across the paint. This is a little harder to conceptualize, but as the Random Orbital works, it orbits and rotates at the same time. This causes the pad to move across the paint in a unique, curly cue pattern. The faster the rotation of the paint, the sharper the turn of the curly cue. Instead of looking like curly cue the pattern more resembles a V. This sharp turn of the pad is like digging your heel into the ground and pivoting 270 degrees. Only in the case of polishing paint it is an abrasive particle that has attached itself to the polishing pad.

The difference between slow pad speed (gray) and fast pad speed (red) is illustrated in my quick sketch below.

Thirdly, reducing pressure causes the pad to engage the paint unevenly. As the pad jiggles around (in our sponge example above) different areas of the pad are pressed into the paint with greater force then other areas. These areas are constantly changing. You see the true secret of creating gloss to level the paint as smooth as possible by `cutting` it evenly. Reducing pressure is like wet sanding with a block vs. with your finger tips. A sanding block evenly disturbs the force across the entire sure resulting in a smooth finish. Sanding with your fingertips, however, will cause gouging and a very uneven surface. The same theory applies in creating a smooth, high gloss, `jeweled` paint finish.

I wish I could take credit for the above, but I am fortunate to know DA polishing wizard Kevin Brown, who has patiently tutored me on DA polishing and has taken my skill with the tool to a much higher level. For a long time many detailer`s conceded that a Random Orbital Polisher couldn`t create the same gloss as a rotary polisher (which very evenly applies pressure to the paint and creates a very level surface). I was solidly in that boat as well, guilty of disagreeing with people who said they could get a great finish with a Random Orbital.

However since listening to Kevin I feel I can get as good, if not a better finish with a Random Orbital. I know of many high end detailers, all who built their reputations with the gloss they could create with a rotary, who know almost all finish exclusively with a Random Orbital. :thumbs:

When finishing polishing with a Random Orbital I would encourage you to try this technique.

Begin polishing as normal, using firm pressure and speed 4-5. By firm pressure I don`t me hard, but rather enough to compress the foam fully, allowing it to transfer the motion of the machine completely, and engage the paint evenly. It will take a little experience, so play around with.

After a couple of passes (enough to notice a change in the appearance in the polishing film on the paint) reduce speed (not pressure) to about 3.5 and make 1-2 more passes over the area. You make have to reduce pressure slightly (to keep the pad`s rotational speed the same) but should still be pressing the pad firmly across the paint. You do not want fast rotational speed for the reasons above.
    That`s it.

While I truly understand that most people, myself included, were taught different finishing techniques for a random orbital and many people have gotten great results doing it a variety of way, I have found that reducing pressure has reduced the gloss that I can get. Results may vary, but it may be worth trying.

As far as pad selection, the softer the pad you use, the harder you will have to press the pad in compress it. I find on all but the softest paint`s, a Lake Country white foam will produce the most even, high gloss finish. You can do a section side by side with a softer pad (black for example) and see if you notice any difference in appearance (good or bad). Because of the infinite variables in detailing, and because of personal preference, the best advice I could give is try a couple different combinations and techniques and find what works best for you!

Todd, I do beleive this is your most imformative post to date. Even someone with A.D.D.(Me) can understand what your saying

I will give you 5 stars for this gem :wizard:

Hey, where in hades in Kevin? He hasn`t called me or anything. I am starting to get my feeling hurt. He is such a heartbreaker :Snowman:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    ...I will give you 5 stars for this gem :wizard: ...
    +5 More! Thanks, Todd. :clap:

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information