Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blue tape ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    In addition to what`s been mentioned above, I like to mask off any black rubber pieces that are close to paint. I hate it when my pad goes a little wide on the pass and rubs the edge of that stuff. There`s now black gunk on my pad!
    Not to mention the unsightly permanent damage to the trim

Will you be using an orbital or rotary :toetap05:

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, Todd had a video on how to properly tape somewhere to make efficient and clean. Maybe he can add it to the TID library.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    One other point, Camaro.mom... If you haven`t bought your tape yet, it doesn`t have to be blue. Go by a Sherwin-Williams paint store and buy their Painter`s Tape. It`s not blue, but it works great and it`s half the price of the 3M blue!ut:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Not to mention the unsightly permanent damage to the trim

Will you be using an orbital or rotary :toetap05:
    I`ll be using an orbital

TOGWT
    Painter?s Tape (Masking Tape):

When to use masking tape;

1. To avoid discolouring the trim with synthetic polishes
    2. Avoid soiling the pad when going over black trim. The dirt from the rubber gets pulled into the pad.
    3. Avoid polish residue built up along the seams of the trim.
    4. Tape edges of paint as to not polish too far since paint is usually thinner on the edges.
    5. Also, tape paint seams to avoid residue in the jams.
    6. Use masking tape to protect from ?burning? trim (rubber, vinyl or metal); around windows, badges, light surrounds etc, can also be used to mask panel edges to avoid thinning the paint surface

Use one hand to hold the roll taut and to guide the piece as your press it into place with your other hand. Scotch? 3M Painter`s Tapes are the most versatile in the Scotch? masking tape line. The low adhesion levels make them suitable for use on both coated and non-coated surfaces and are specially designed for safe use on delicate or smooth surfaces such as glass and painted metal, even on freshly painted surfaces.

These tapes are also UV and sunlight resistant, making them ideal for use on glass surfaces, without leaving any sticky residue. Tape sizes available 0.75 to 2-inch

3M Scotch? Performance Masking Tape Green- highly conformable, provides the best adhesive transfer resistance, hugs curves, contours and provides outstanding paint lines. Goes on quickly and easily, sticks at a touch and stays put. This tape has excellent conformability, Transfer resistance, and is resistant to bleed through, also has better UV resistance than traditional masking tapes.

3M`s Scotch? Safe-Release TM Blue Painters` Masking Tape, this tape removes cleanly from a paint film or glass surface without adhesive transfer or surface damage for up to 14 days - even when exposed to direct sunlight. It is a medium adhesion tape with a flexible crepe backing allows for exceptional conformability to semi-smooth surfaces.

Tape residue removal ? use a safe solvent that does not contain any harmful components (heptanes or xylene or hydrocarbon aliphatic solvents) 3M? Adhesive and Wax Remover, that simply emulsifies and dissolves the residue. It is important not to leave a solvent based chemical on the paint finish longer than is necessary. Simply apply to the affected area, allow sufficient dwell time, and carefully wipe off, you may have to apply it three or four times allowing plenty of "dwell time" between applications.

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Chances are you`ll learn something and advance your knowledge of detailing if you read any of these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro.mom View Post
    I`ll be using an orbital
    Well, I have no experience with an orbital But, as already stated I wouldn`t think they would be powerfull enough to burn the edges...I may be wrong

I would tapeup the trim/doorhandles/headlights/emblems and any vents that may be on your vehicle

I am a bit assbackwards as I started on a rotary and have never felt the need to use an orbital. However, I am leaning more and more towards purchasing one this Summer to see if they live up to the hype :wizard:

Let us know how it turns out :Snowman:

Post Thanks / Like
    How and What to Tape

I hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll use an the porter cable orbital. Do I need to remove the tape in between the steps of polish and final paint protection?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll use an the porter cable orbital. Do I need to remove the tape in between the steps of polish and final paint protection?
    This one I can answer with full confidence > NO

The tape will also protect you from getting your Last Step Polish all over the trim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of your advice. I love this site. Can`t wait until it warms up here in Pittsburgh to start using all of my new stuff!

What is the lowest temperature that a car could be detailed in??

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of your advice. I love this site. Can`t wait until it warms up here in Pittsburgh to start using all of my new stuff!

What is the lowest temperature that a car could be detailed in??
    This should be intresting :soldier:

If your working outdoors and the Sun is hitting the paint I think 42 degrees will work. The actual temp of the paint would be much higher :spy:

If your working in a climate control atmosphere, I beleive around 55 degrees would be sufficent :wizard:

Good question camaro.mom. I`m intrested to see what others have to say :toetap05:

Post Thanks / Like
    For WASHING... I`ve used ONR down to 25 degrees if it`s sunny.

Polishing, about 50 degrees is always my rule of thumb. I`m not saying you can`t polish below 50, that`s just a comfortable temp to work in.

Lowest? Low 40`s if it`s sunny and not windy. (Flash got it right!)ancing Dot:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information