Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Question Meg`s new W7207 shedding foam

I started using a brand-new W7207 cutting pad last night with some #105. The weird thing is that the pad started shedding! After about two pases on the third section of the hood (I work 1/4 of the hood at a time), I noticed a dust of what turned out to be particles of burgandy-colored foam from the pad. Hmm. It got worse with each pass and I finally had to start using my California Duster to remove the pad crumbles before starting a new section with the polisher. I did notice that the dust was mostly adjacent to whatever area that I was working - like it was being thrown off from the back side of the pad. Half the hood would be covered.

The polishing surface of the pad still looks fine. It appears that the particles may be coming from the back side; from the recessed area around the white velcro attachment pad. Could the issue be that I was using my new Griot`s polisher with a 6" backing plate, and it`s a 7" pad? I never got above speed 5 and I was polishing a flat hood - so I did not tilt the polisher one way or another. Or, maybe the backing plate is larger than the velcro area on the Megs pad - I think it is slightly larger.

Note: about 15 minutes in, I set the polisher down and it tipped over, letting the pad hit the garage floor. I pulled the pad and washed it - letting it dry completely before starting again. I thought the washing might have taken care of any loose particles, but it kept shedding.

I`ve never had this shedding happen with either Griot`s or Lake Country pads, so I strongly suspect operator error - I doubt if Meg`s pads are defective. Still, I`ll likely switch to an LC pad when I start in again tonight.

Any feedback appreciated - as always.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try calling Meguiar`s customer service. If my guess is correct they would be willing to send you another pad.

Paul S

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get them?
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the pads direct from Meguiar`s when I got my bottles of #105 & #205 - they had a sale at the time that I could not resist. I have not had a chance to call their customer service number. I probably won`t use their pads again even if I got another one. With the back being recessed, there is just not that much pad between plate and paint. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    OOPS - I went back over my recent invoices of things I bought and I got the Meguiar`s pads on a pick-3 deal from Proper Auto Care. Order #166292 on 9/4/09. I had just not got around to using any of them until this week. I also got some purple foamed wool pads before I found out that they are not suited for a random orbital polisher. Not too bright. :smile:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information