Post Thanks / Like

Question Meguiars DC1 and No. 83

Hey Guys, I need some help?

I have a tight budget and can`t get the cleaning pads i would like to have. So i have to do it the old fashioned way. By hand!

Could i apply Meguiars No. 83 by hand without having the risk of creating more swirl marks, the same go for Deep crystal system paint cleaner?

Any help would be appreciated! :thumbup:

Vipertwin175

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can use #83 by hand but it`s a very hard job by hand and the deep crystal cleaner also can be done by hand but if your going to do your work by hand, try getting Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound and also Meguiar`s Swirl X products ( We do carry them here at PAC ) and also some foam applicators to work them in. These products will work very well by hand, the only part is you put the muscle in it. Just take your time ( Like one panel a time ). Also how`s the finish on the car your working on? If your don`t a compound then the Swirl X will work for you. I know more folks will post and maybe come with more recommendations for you Vipertwin175.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipertwin175 View Post
    Hey Guys, I need some help?

I have a tight budget and can`t get the cleaning pads i would like to have. So i have to do it the old fashioned way. By hand!

Could i apply Meguiars No. 83 by hand without having the risk of creating more swirl marks, the same go for Deep crystal system paint cleaner?

Any help would be appreciated! :thumbup:

Vipertwin175
    Hey Viper, there is something to be said for doing it the old way! I recently did a detail on a very rare exotic that was designed to maintain the `Patina` or originality of the car. A client of mine spent mucho deynaro on getting his `63 Z06 Stingray restored to factory specs, including spraying the car with lacquer and mimicking the factory over spray, orange peel, and finish.

The interesting part of this detail is he wanted it too look exactly how it would have in `63, so using modern aluminum oxide polishes would burnish the paint to too high of a gloss. I ended up using water and corn starch to rub the paint out, then finished with Meguiar`s M07 and corn starch, rubbed by hand. This is how it was done in the old days, so I was able to accurately mimic the finish of the paint, which appeared fairly swirl free, but didn`t have the mind blowing gloss we are accustomed to seeing. A top coat Meguiar`s old M16 finished the detail in nostalgic order.

As far as M83 by hand, I personally wouldn`t. You will probably be able to remove `some` defects with it, but I think you will end up inducing a little micro marring into the paint in the process. DC1 can be used by hand, but would serve little to no benefit the actual polishing process. If I remember reading correctly on MOL, DC1 does have some abrasives, but they are so gentle and so fine, that they do little more then clean the paint. They are not aggressive enough to remove even faint marring.

If you can spring for it, I would try getting a consumer sized bottle of Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound or Meguiar`s SwirlX. I think you will get far better results, far faster, and far easier. The better resulting finish and the hours it could save you may make it worth picking up.

You can get it here (PAC of course) or in most automotive stores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Ultimate Compound and SwirlX work great by hand, plus they are cheaper than M83.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like

Question Thanks Guys

Hey Guys:

Thanks to all of whom that have been answering my posts! :clap:

But still have a few quick questions? I own a 04 Mountaineer, It does have swirl marks but they are very faintly to see, you can only see them in sunlight of when you are very close to the paint from like 3ft away and it does show signs of paint contamination?

I am just looking for the safest route possible without the risk of creating and kind of micromarring or swirl marks.

My dad uses that 3M Rubbing Compound and i hate that stuff:cursing: it does nothing but cause micromarring and swirl marks!

Would Meguiars Ultimate Compound, like some of you have mentioned solve my problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipertwin175 View Post
    Hey Guys:

Thanks to all of whom that have been answering my posts! :clap:

But still have a few quick questions? I own a 04 Mountaineer, It does have swirl marks but they are very faintly to see, you can only see them in sunlight of when you are very close to the paint from like 3ft away and it does show signs of paint contamination?

I am just looking for the safest route possible without the risk of creating and kind of micromarring or swirl marks.

My dad uses that 3M Rubbing Compound and i hate that stuff:cursing: it does nothing but cause micromarring and swirl marks!

Would Meguiars Ultimate Compound, like some of you have mentioned solve my problems?

Start off with a good wash and clay bar, then proceed to do test spots with SwirlX and Ultimate Compound. If the SwirlX is not strong enough, then you may need Ultimate Compound. Make sure you do a test spot first before doing the entire vechile. Also be sure to put a coat of wax on the paint to protect your hard work.

Best of luck.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Thread Information