Post Thanks / Like

still have swirls

i have a 07 victory jackpot that is black and the paint is getting swirls in it,so i got the wet-ice over fire reference shine kit.Well i go though the steps in my back garage (good time to do it cause of the rain).got done an the bike looked smooth as a babys but ,it looked great.BBBUUUTTT!! when the rain stoped an i got the bike out,there they were SWIRLS i almost cried LOL.
    when i did the polish i didnt use any pressure just let the pc do it thing.maybe thats where i messed up?any help would be great thanks guys

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maddestmax View Post
    i have a 07 victory jackpot that is black and the paint is getting swirls in it,so i got the wet-ice over fire reference shine kit.Well i go though the steps in my back garage (good time to do it cause of the rain).got done an the bike looked smooth as a babys but ,it looked great.BBBUUUTTT!! when the rain stoped an i got the bike out,there they were SWIRLS i almost cried LOL.
    when i did the polish i didnt use any pressure just let the pc do it thing.maybe thats where i messed up?any help would be great thanks guys
    You have to use some pressure on it with your PC, That should work but If that doesn`t work then you need to move up to a orange pad with maybe some PO83 Super Intensive Polish. That should help in removing those nasty swirls.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

TOGWT
    Machine pressure- apply enough pressure (approx 15 pounds force; 20 pounds force will stall the motor) foam pads should be compressed approx 50%) so that the pad still oscillates at full speed, but by applying any more the machine begins to stall, and then back off the pressure very slightly

Factors that affect foam - compression, tensile strength, density, velocity; are some of the factors that affect a foams abrasive (cutting) ability, these factors all affect the flexibility of the foam under pressure and torque

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, you have to apply at least 15 pounds of pressure and you have to work the polish in. If you apply for just a few seconds and wipe you`ll have swirl marks. When using a PC it usually takes 3 to 5 minutes to work the polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maddestmax View Post
    I`m glad you noticed the Blackfire difference in shine, as the reference shine kit is designed to deliver! What is more incredible is you didn`t remove the swirl marks and still have such a smooth, deep look.

The Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish is a very mild polish, that will remove very light (ultra fine) swirls, but it will struggle on deeper and heavier swirl marks.

One of the reasons we always recommend doing a small test section first, before applying to any process to the rest of your car or bike, is so that you can check the results before investing your valuable time.

When you polish you are going to use pressure on the head of the porter cable, about 10-15 lbs. Enough to slow the pad but not stall it (on sharp curves it will stall because of the all friction is focused on one small spot). Use slow over lapping passes and move the machine slowly across the paint, about 1-3 inches per second.

After working on your technique, if you notice that the GEP removing all of the swirls it is because they are too deep. You might consider moving up to a slightly more aggressive polish and pad combination, such as Menzerna Intensive Polish and an Orange Lake Country Power Pad. This is a more aggressive combination that will do a very good job at removing moderate to light swirl marks.

Use very little Menzerna Intensive Polish (maybe two dime sized drops) on the Orange Pad. Work at speed 5, with moderate pressure, in slow, over lapping passes. It might take 2 to 3 minutes to work in the polish (it will begin to turn slightly clear).

Inspect the section in the sun. If it looks good (swirls are remove, you might notice a faint `haze` in the paint) then proceed to the Blackfire Gloss Enchaining Polish step with the white pad.

Make sure you are using a QUALITY microfiber to remove the polish and wax so that you are not creating new swirls marks that look similar to the old ones just removed.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    was thinking of getting the KBM1 kit,do you think this will solve my problems?
    i also think most of my swirls an the long deeper marks are from the microfiber
    clothes i have .been getting them from wal-mart i cant feel them with my finger,but sure can see"m. black paint sure does tell on a person lol

Thread Information