Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Smart people needed

I just tried out my new 5 1/4" pads (pc) and they `seem` to be the perfect match. Now this is all subjective but: the machine seems to have more power under pressure and the throw -seems- to be different. Could the smaller `mass` of these pads have some real effect??

Post Thanks / Like
    On a DA machine, with smaller pads, you have less surface area, therefor less resistance and more power. You have to be careful with *certain* 4" pad/polish combos on the PC, with certain paints, as I know some people that have burned paint. This is why some people claim that when using the PC for correction, 4" pads are the only way to go.

I like the 5.25" pads, because the pressure is more evenly distributed since the backing plate covers the majority of the back of it.
    David Strum
    Charlotte, NC

Finance during the week, finishes on the weekends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I just tried out my new 5 1/4" pads (pc) and they `seem` to be the perfect match. Now this is all subjective but: the machine seems to have more power under pressure and the throw -seems- to be different. Could the smaller `mass` of these pads have some real effect??
    A smaller pad on the PC is going to act more aggressive as it decreases the surface area of the pad (less friction or `grip` on the paint) allowing the machine to operate at a higher speed. With a PC/G110 power is really the limiting factor, and by focusing that power over a smaller, more concentrated area, you effectively increase the working action.

You will notice the pad will spin faster and the machine may oscillate closer to it`s no-load rating. The throw is going to be the same distance regardless as it is a mechanical function of the machine.

I`m glad you are enjoying the smaller pad`s with the PC

Post Thanks / Like
    I started using a PC about 3 years ago with 6.5" pads. When I switched to 5.5" pads, I never went back. Better cut, faster action. And, as an added bonus..... CHEAPER!!!

I`m stocked up on 5.5`s. Love `em!:thumbup:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    I started using a PC about 3 years ago with 6.5" pads. When I switched to 5.5" pads, I never went back. Better cut, faster action. And, as an added bonus..... CHEAPER!!!

I`m stocked up on 5.5`s. Love `em!:thumbup:
    So, what you`re saying is get 5.5`s if you want more cut with the PC or...get the Flex since you have loads of brand new 6.5 & 7.5 pads and don`t want them to go to waste?ut:

Post Thanks / Like
    What smaller pads are you guys using? CCS or flat?
    Ivan Rajic
    LUSTR Auto Detail - Owner
    Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    ivopivo, I ordered the ccs and they are wonderful; as Luster I will not go back to the larger/thicker pads and I don`t think anyone else who tries the fivers will every go back either, and the price advantage is very significant.

Thanks all, I didn`t -think- it was all in my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

5" Balancing weight on a PC kit purchase from CMA.

The PC kit I purchased from CMA came with 6.5" flex backplate and pads.
    However, when I looked at the balancing weight it says to use with 5" pads only.
    Do I have to purchase the correct weight, which in this case would be for 6" pads? I am not sure if the 5" weight is close enough so that is why CMA shipped it installed already on the PC.
    At times I do get lots of vibration, but I don`t know if it is normal or because of the wrong weight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonyn View Post
    The PC kit I purchased from CMA came with 6.5" flex backplate and pads.
    However, when I looked at the balancing weight it says to use with 5" pads only.
    Do I have to purchase the correct weight, which in this case would be for 6" pads? I am not sure if the 5" weight is close enough so that is why CMA shipped it installed already on the PC.
    At times I do get lots of vibration, but I don`t know if it is normal or because of the wrong weight.
    Don`t worry about that, it`s been stated many times online, by myself and others, that you don`t notice a difference in vibration using different counter weights on the PC
    Ivan Rajic
    Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ivopivo View Post
    What smaller pads are you guys using? CCS or flat?
    I prefer the flat pads myself.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
    I prefer the flat pads myself.......
    What`s the best place to buy flat 5-5.5" pads? I still have a few old ones but haven`t really look for newer flat pads to buy in the smaller size
    Ivan Rajic
    Chicago, Illinois

Post Thanks / Like
    Ivan the best place to buy the pads, or anything else for that matter, is right here at proper auto- select the SHOP button up top then the car buffers/polishers tab, then select the dual action link, you`ll see the pad I got under the 5 1/4 CCS section.

I have stopped checking pricing at other sites for similar items-CMA is ALWAYS either the exact same price as the cheapest site, or on more than a few occassions about 5% LESS than the `best` price elsewhere.

Buy just one package of two and see for yourself, what have you got to lose?:smile:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Ivan the best place to buy the pads, or anything else for that matter, is right here at proper auto- select the SHOP button up top then the car buffers/polishers tab, then select the dual action link, you`ll see the pad I got under the 5 1/4 CCS section.

I have stopped checking pricing at other sites for similar items-CMA is ALWAYS either the exact same price as the cheapest site, or on more than a few occassions about 5% LESS than the `best` price elsewhere.

Buy just one package of two and see for yourself, what have you got to lose?:smile:
    I don`t see flat pads... can you post a link?
    Ivan Rajic
    Chicago, Illinois

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ivopivo View Post
    I don`t see flat pads... can you post a link?
    I`m pretty sure the 5.5" flat pads are discontinued.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Link to 5.25 inch CCS pads....http://properautocare.com/5inccstespre.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information