Thread: Cyclo question

Post Thanks / Like

Cyclo question

I have had one of these `cult` machines for about twenty years or so. Recently I read that the new models are equipped with a different anti vibration feature.
    The Company quoted me approximately $125 dollars to refit my machine with the new system and I am hoping that someone can give me some idea of what to expect.

Its an interesting product-made by men for men, current conducting all aluminum enclosure!, bullet proof in construction and materials and if they would give it a speed control or variable trigger it would be the finest da on the planet.

Now all you Flex boys can stop laughing-can YOU put brushes on your machine and do carpets or cloth seats?:p

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the post I just made on some of the other boards. I think it depends on what you want out of the machine. For me it was worth it, anything to help my arthritis not flare up is worth the money.

So I decided to update my Cyclo with the new VES counter weights, I was first going to attempt the upgrade myself but after watching the video on Cylco`s site I decided it was more involved then I wanted to deal with. I contacted the cyclo office and spoke with Erik Jeffries I told him that I had purchased the new counter weights and wanted to have them installed by the factory. He explained to me that that was not a problem and upon discovering that I exclusively use the edge 2000 pad system, suggested that I might want to simply return the new counter weights as there may not be a large improvement with the edge pads. I was delighted to have a company try to save me money rather then take it, even after our conversation I decided to go ahead with the upgrade and sent my machine in.

I received my machine back within a weeks time and was pleasantly surprised to see that the good people at Cyclo had not only fitted the new counter weights but also upgraded my cord to the new improved model.

So I slapped a set of pads on and went to town on my test hood, did the VES counter weights improve the machine? Yes, vibration is slightly less then before. Was the upgrade necessary? No, just as Erik informed since I was already using the edge pads there was little need to spend the money for the VES.

Conclusions; while the VES is a nice upgrade to the Cyclo machine, it isn`t really necessary for those using the edge pads on an old machine but it is a nice update to the cyclo machine for anyone looking to purchase a new unit. Better yet it`s backed by a very honest and customer conscientious company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug, never-ever thought I would get exactly the info I was looking for, thank you.
    As you have done, I also am going to go to the double sided pads. Based on both your comments and those from the factory, I will wait and try the pads first.
    I also found the procedure for a diy upfit something that I did not want to try myself, and as you, I can only say great things about Cyclo Toolmakers.

Appreciate the post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad I could be of assistance. I really do love my cyclo with the edge pad system, this VES is just icing on the cake for me. The only other thing I am hoping they make is a set of the brushes that will work with the quick connect, it would just be so much easier to change them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question Doug-others, I have not use the Cyclo for correction. The machine has a minimum speed of 2800, I think, is this too fast for compounding, final polishing?

I ask, because it seems that 1000 rpms is the most often recommended speed I see for compounding.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally use the cyclo for 90% of all my paint correction/polishing. I have been using it for years and have had some awesome results, the right pad and product combo it produces a a great finish. The reason I switched to the cyclo as my primary machine from the rotary was simply a marketing thing when I did it over 5 years ago. Too many customers where hearing machine polish and thinking that was the cause of those nasty hologram`s they saw on there`s and other`s cars that had been detailed by others. I choose to market myself by showing prospective customers the different machine "cyclo" and explained how this machine was in capable of creating those nasty holograms. In the beginning I would still use my rotary as the main defect correction machine and then finish with the cyclo, until I decided to try the cyclo as my main machine and only break out the rotary when needed. So for the last 3 years the cyclo has seen many more hours then the rotary and I have gained alot of customers due to the different approach to paint polishing. I am confident I can provide 95% paint correction with the cyclo and most of the time I feel pushing that last 5% can create more problems down the road when the customers brings back the car with more damage and wants more correction then over time clear coat failure comes into play.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Doug,
    I found a local guy that sells Cyclo`s and he gave me a really great deal. Now, if I could just a few more $ and I`ll pony up and order it. Based on your comments and a few others - I`m getting the edge pads too.

What compounds and polishes do you find work best?

Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like
    Jimmy, I think posting the price is ok as CMA is not a Cyclo dealer, while looking for the ves upgrade I came across a dealer who is selling the machine for $236 how good of a deal have you seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    Hey Doug,
    I found a local guy that sells Cyclo`s and he gave me a really great deal. Now, if I could just a few more $ and I`ll pony up and order it. Based on your comments and a few others - I`m getting the edge pads too.

What compounds and polishes do you find work best?

Jimmy
    I paid close to $300 when I originally bought it but that was years ago. I`d gladly pay that much again for the quality of the machine is worth it. As for what compounds and polishes work best I have been along time user of Menzerna stuff and had great success with Power Compound and surbuf pads followed by Intensive with orange pads, completed with Final Polish on darker cars.

Recently I`ve been trying some different product combo`s and right now I think some of the new meg`s stuff is taking the edge on ease of use and results with the Cyclo. I just did a 8 hour long test session strictly testing products on some test panels I have in the shop. The results amazed even myself. I plan to do a very through write up some time in the future but I can say Meg`s Ultimate Compound and Swirlx did the same job as the three step Menzerna I listed above. Being that these are OTC products I honestly didn`t expect much out of them I was thinking they were along the lines of the old scratchx and colorx which weren`t bad products but where obviously geared to the uneducated consumer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in a little financial bind at present - had to have the septic system redone at my home and I`m waiting on the final bill before I decide to buy, but darn it - I sure want one! I am turning 50 this year and I think I`ll see if the family wants to give me my present a bit early....

Post Thanks / Like
    Junebug, I would spend the money on either a Makita or Flex rather than a Cyclo. While the Cyclo is an outstanding product in terms of material, construction, durability and Company support it does lack a speed control which I think is a severe limitation.

Don`t get me wrong I like having and using the machine but your money would be better spent with one of the above products-as for me it will be the Makita d/a.

Having said this I cannot imagine anyone not being 1000% happy with one of these machines-hard to explain, but for me everytime I look at, hold and use mine it warps me back to when American products were, if not THE best at least they were made by people who wanted them to be.

With a speed controller this would be the worlds finest d/a, period!

Thread Information