Post Thanks / Like

Buffing Pads Maintenance

How do the pro`s keep their buffing pads clean? I appreciate the importance of preventing cross contamination when applying products and accept the pad collection required to maintain our daily drivers. Can I clean them in the same solution? What solution? Opinons welcome - thanks!

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EclecTech View Post
    How do the pro`s keep their buffing pads clean? I appreciate the importance of preventing cross contamination when applying products and accept the pad collection required to maintain our daily drivers. Can I clean them in the same solution? What solution? Opinons welcome - thanks!

Jack
    Hi Jack, I like using Meguiar`s Super Degreaser.

I fill up two buckets with water. First I will soak a pad in one bucket and make sure it fully saturated, massaging the pad while under the water, and trying to release any residue. Then I will spray the pad throughly with diluted (10:1) Super Degreaser. Once the pad is throughly misted, massage the pad with your hands working the diluted solution through the pad.

Then soak the pad back in the first bucket and massage again under water. It should release a cloud of residue. Keep massaging the pad under the water until no more residue comes out. Then pull the pad out of the first bucket and squeeze most water out. Place the pad in the second bucket and massage again to make sure that it rinses clean and no residue is left.

Spin on a rotary to dry. It sounds very time consuming but actually goes pretty quick once you get the hand of it.

Dunk in bucket one, massage quickly.
    Spray with degreaser and massage.
    Re-dunk in bucket one, and massage out residue.
    Wring out
    Dunk in bucket two, massage.
    Spin dry.

I`ll do a little write up, time permitting One of the benefits of the Meguiar`s is that 13.95 buys you (after diluting) 11 gallons of pad cleaner!!! Not to mention the Meguiar`s is phenomenal for cleaning engines!

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think about that citrus pad cleaner powder?
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Snappy Clean pad cleaner at PAC works well and smells pretty good. I`m assuming this is the stuff you`re referring to? Only have used it a few times, but haven`t noticed any delamination issues or other problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    I throw my pads in a clean bucket of car wash solution/water until I`m done for the day. Then I rinse them thoroughly, then use Murphy`s Oil Soap to get any residual polish out of them. This has worked well for me, with no signs of wear and tear. The last time I lost a pad was when I caught it on the the license plate bracket. Oops.

-Mike

Thread Information