Post Thanks / Like

Flex?, 205 finishing??

I got my shipment of maguiars 105, 205, flex da, and some ccs pads. I don`t have much time right now to post, but really love the combo. I have a few quick questions.

What pads are best for finishing with 205 on black?

My flex has a little wobble, is this because my pad is slightly off center?

105, 205, and flex users please post. Thanks

PS. paint correction never been so easy! At least not for me. Just removed pretty #### swirls with flex 105 and orange ccs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex?, 205 finishing??

OK, I just got back from dinner with my girl, and dinner was great, and the wine has me feeling nice.

I polished a section of a 2002 red Honda odyssey, and the finish was flawless under the halogens. I just did a section on a black Lexus LS 450 and 205 left a very and I mean very little swirls, or marring, did i not have enough product on the pad?

I use about 15 lbs on pressure for a few passes and about 5 or so to finish up.
    I used flex on speed 4.2 with pressure and about 3.8 to finish. I used CCS black pad to finish. Thanks

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have very little experience with the 205 as it has not impressed me enough to continue using it. All I can tell you is your method of application sounds like it is not the reason for this slight marring.

I`m guessing one of two things. Contamination was introduced to the pad or surface somehow or the paint finish simply doesn`t like 205. I have run into paint jobs that would not finish out well with the 105 or 205 no matter how much finessing I did with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the CSS foam, not to crazy about the design i would like it without pocket holes, and some rounded edges. As I am polishing the CSS black pad also seems too soft, and as if it is losing it`s shape. I noticed after my final polishing step, my pad looked dry in the center and just very minimal product on edges. but there was still polish on the surface. don`t know if this is normal.

How many passes do you do with 205? After 105?

I did not count passes but is it possible i did to many? I am so use to diminishing abrasives.

I did not have a halogen to really inspect the surfaceof the blk lexus, left my halogen home. I used a weak flashlight and then the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

With all the experience here, I`m sure someone could give me a hand.

I am new to the Meguiars 105, 205 and I can`t believe the results with my first use. I know there is a way for me to finish out nice with 205. I guess I`ll just have to give it a few goes. I may try a little distilled water mist. on the pad for my final light passes.

I tried to upload pics on to my sisters PC, but I don`t know where they went. I am not familiar with this windows media or what ever it is.

I put my SD card into the printer and a menu came up, so i pressed save. A program opens up and I created a detailing folder and saved them there. Now can`t find them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the lack of response on this. The CCS pads shouldn`t be causing the problem especially with 205 because it does not need breaking down. Unless of course you have used the pad with a different product before you might get residuals that were caught up in the pad.

As far as how many passes. If you`re having to go over the area more than a couple of times at each stage of polishing to get results then you should probably step up to something more aggressive. None of your polishing stages should require more than 1 or 2 passes especially your final finishing stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Troy, I spread 205 evenly onto the CCS black pad. Then I spread at about speed 3. for two passes with very little pressure. Then I apply about 15lb for about 3 passes, depending on defect. I then lighten up to 5 lbs for about another 3 passes. I keep the PC moving very slowly, almost as slow as if an ant were walking across the finish.
    Should I be moving a little faster with 205?
    Maybe finishing out with just weight on the machine?
    Or could it be I need a little more wetness, by adding a spray of water or QD to pad, for my last 2 light passes.

Does this sound right? Or make any sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Troy, I ziplock my pads and label them with product name. Thanks for all the help.
    It just seems I have to get a technique for finishing out the 205.

Post Thanks / Like

Rather than try to work the 205 some long drawn out way, why don`t you just use something else that will finish easier and better. I`ve already said that 205 does not finish well sometimes for me and it`s not because I`m not using it right. You have seen first hand how a product will perform well on one finish but not another.

I guess my point is don`t be so stubborn with trying to get the 205 to finish out well on your Lexus. There are plenty of products that would probably do a better job in that particular case. In my case, I used it on a re-painted car and had to go back with Four Star`s LCC to get it to finish out for me. The good news is what the 205 left behind went away nice and easy so I wasn`t too upset about it.

Post Thanks / Like

well I got a little time, to post some pics. So here goes, now remember this is my first time using, 105 205 so here goes. I am not the best photographer, but i gave it a shot.

This is a shot of the damage!

This is a shot of the quarter panel, as you could see 205 alone was not enough, But still did a pretty nice job!

This is a section of the trunk before.

This is the section of the trunk after 105 and 205. It looks good, but just not perfect!

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you I would be happy with that. Perfection isn`t always attainable or even advisable with daily drivers. Not only will you remove paint unnecessarily but you will drive yourself crazy trying to maintain it.

The quarter panel looks like it`s not a finishing problem. It looks like you just have some deeper marring that needs to be polished out before finishing.

Post Thanks / Like

well thanks for your help and advice troy. I know what your saying, and I totally agree, Sometimes I think i have OCD. It`s makes me feel good when people comment and say wow that looks great! But at the same time I know it`s not quite as nice as it could be.

Thanks Again

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll post again when I get a chance to do a few cars entirely.

Is there a post about manufacturers and paint hardness?

Thread Information