Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Updated Flex review

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman View Post
    I haven`t called anybody yet. I`m waiting patiently for Edge to finish theirs and then I`ll just make the switch. I don`t like velcro pads and can`t wait to get back to the finest pads in the land.
    Maybe I will just do the same...in the mean time I still have the rotary and the PC...still bums me out that like you $300 will be just sitting there.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the ETA time is for the Edge adapter...that way I can still reuse my Edge pads from the PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slvrlgt06 View Post
    I wonder what the ETA time is for the Edge adapter...that way I can still reuse my Edge pads from the PC.
    I talked to them and they told me hopefully over the summer time...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like what ever this material is, came un glued and was probably rubbing against the gears, the friction caused smoke...

not sure if it can run without this piece, but it runs with out the backing plate, leading me to believe this felt piece is just not properly designed.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

See, you`ve got the same problem I`ve got. That felt piece is supposed to be attached to the machine itself. You`ll notice a spot in the housing where it goes. That track melted into the backing plate is not a good sign though. That is the same thing mine did, only it didn`t pull the felt out.

Post Thanks / Like

See, mine got displaced a bit, but it stayed in the housing. I stopped it as it started to pull it loose, so that may be the only difference between our machines at this point. My backing plate is just as grooved as yours is.

Post Thanks / Like

See, you`ve got the same problem I`ve got. That felt piece is supposed to be attached to the machine itself. You`ll notice a spot in the housing where it goes. That track melted into the backing plate is not a good sign though. That is the same thing mine did, only it didn`t pull the felt out.
    yeah I think the felt was rubbing against the gears and caused the smoke...I am not sure what the purpose of the felt is, other then maybe to prevent dust from getting into the gears...I may try it without the felt piece...can`t hurt...I think...

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I just called Powerhouse Distribution and explained the problem. They said this is pretty common. One of the reasons for it is that Flex sends the tools without lubricating that felt strip in there. They have started adding some oil to that before sending them out and that seems to be solving the problem. All they need is the serial number and date code off your machine and they put in a warranty claim and send out a new backing plate. That is what I`m doing as soon as I get home and we`ll see how it works. I`ve heard they send a new backing plate and felt ring as well. Hopefully this sorts out the problem. 1-888-809-4749 and I spoke with Ben. They seem to be pretty familiar with the problem and they didn`t give me any greif about needing a replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

I just called Powerhouse Distribution and explained the problem. They said this is pretty common. One of the reasons for it is that Flex sends the tools without lubricating that felt strip in there. They have started adding some oil to that before sending them out and that seems to be solving the problem. All they need is the serial number and date code off your machine and they put in a warranty claim and send out a new backing plate. That is what I`m doing as soon as I get home and we`ll see how it works. I`ve heard they send a new backing plate and felt ring as well. Hopefully this sorts out the problem. 1-888-809-4749 and I spoke with Ben. They seem to be pretty familiar with the problem and they didn`t give me any greif about needing a replacement.
    now is that the people who distribute it, or where you bought it...meaning can I call them???

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

They are the US distributors of the Flex tools, so they are the ones to contact when there is a warranty claim. I bought it from somewhere totally seperate, but since they are the entry point, they are the ones to contact when things go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

They are the US distributors of the Flex tools, so they are the ones to contact when there is a warranty claim. I bought it from somewhere totally seperate, but since they are the entry point, they are the ones to contact when things go wrong.
    excellent thanks!!!

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

So, would you suggest going ahead and getting one? That is, of course, if someone is on the edge looking to get one? Does this seem like a minor problem?
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    So, would you suggest going ahead and getting one? That is, of course, if someone is on the edge looking to get one? Does this seem like a minor problem?
    I would wait on one, make sure whatever they are sending out right now is addressed...I am going to give it a go later to see how it runs without it...I plan on calling them tomorrow for a replacement backing plate.

I know you said you were in the market, but like I said this is only my opinion but it seems to me a few people have had this problem, just on this board alone...either wait and see if they fix it, or wait till the alternative edge adapter comes out...

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Edge adapter is going to solve a lot of problems. The reason for this happening on the units that I`ve seen it is unequal pressure on the edge of the backing plate causing it to rub. The Edge 2000 system would mount in the center and be connected directly to the gear. There would be no pressure on the edges to worry about. This kind of thing wouldn`t happen with that system. It doesn`t happen on all of the Flex units out there either, so it is probably just luck of the draw. Autogeek wouldn`t sell them like hotcakes if there were some major defect to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Edge adapter is going to solve a lot of problems. The reason for this happening on the units that I`ve seen it is unequal pressure on the edge of the backing plate causing it to rub. The Edge 2000 system would mount in the center and be connected directly to the gear. There would be no pressure on the edges to worry about. This kind of thing wouldn`t happen with that system. It doesn`t happen on all of the Flex units out there either, so it is probably just luck of the draw. Autogeek wouldn`t sell them like hotcakes if there were some major defect to them.
    true...there is bound to be a bad few in a group, but if it was my pc I wouldn`t be as upset because it cost a third of the price...for me its just hold out till the edge adapter is ready...

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information