Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Want to add a 2nd DA polisher

I started out purchasing a PC 7424xp with a 5" and a 3" backing plate. I`ll be the 1st to admit I have a lot, and I mean a lot to learn yet, and it seems this is a good machine to learn on.

I have been thinking about adding a 2nd DA, but I am not sure the best way to go about it.

At most i would guess i will detail 5 cars a year at most, and probably never that many. While i could continue to use the one PC and change backing plates, I think it would just be nice to have the 2nd machine.

I am not interested in a 21MM machine, but a 15mm throw intrigues me. Been looking at Adam`s swirl killer

Option 1: buy a 15MM throw DA and move the PC to a 3" backing plate only. But does a weekend detailer need a 15MM throw?

Option #2: pass on a 15MM and buy a Griots G9 and still convert the PC to a 3" polisher

Option 3: keep the PC with the 5" backing plate and buy a smaller units like the Hriots G8 or the Adam`s SK mini

Any suggestions? I sent plan on making this pur phase until closer spring I have time to get some more funds put back.....I don`t want to spend more than $200 - $225 on a machine though

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Want to add a 2nd DA polisher

I have a boss 15 and a 3” and think its a perfect set up. If you are doing bigger vehicles and hace alot of space to do a long throw is great. This is my 1st polisher.

Was not hard to learn and you will work faster rhan an 8mm. Did a friends car with him and he had the gg6 and i was done my side 15 min faster. I know their are variables but i was try ing to be precise not quick as i wanted to see if the longer throw was indeed faster.

If i had to do again and the boss 15 was $300+ i would’ve just bought g8 and 9. Only 2-5 cars a yeR like you.

Right now though Griots has the boss 15 for $225 and i would jump on that. It’s an awesome polisher with a proven track record. Autopia hasca PM policy so see if they’ll match it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512- I`d go with either Option #1 or Option#2.

I myself would pick the BOSS15 with the PC set up for 3".

FWIW, after some discussions we`ve had here, I contacted Griot`s about trading my BOSS15 for a G9. Short version- the rep thought that was a nutty idea that would amount to a significant DOWNgrade. I asked about "finishing out to the nth degree..like, you`d need a glossmeter to tell what I`m concerned about". He still said the BOSS15 is a superior polisher, PERIOD. There was zero ambiguity on his part.

I can still imagine the G9 finishing out better on very soft paints (not a concern for me), but that`s just *theoretical* and is also strongly based on Mike lambert`s being so over-the-moon about that particular polisher.

With the BOSS15 on sale...that`s what I`d get. But if they discontinue it I dunno how that`d work out over the long term.
    Likes SWETM, Coatings=crack, Stokdgs, KBsToy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would also ask my self about the ergonomics you want from the new polisher and also if it`s your own vehicals. In addition to Coatings=crack mentioned. The longthrow polishers generally speaking is a smoother machine when you polishing when it comes to the DA polishers. G9 seems to be doing a jump up in the holding on the ergonomics on the 8mm-9mm polishers. But it`s basicly the same polisher that you already have but with a lot more power to minimize the stalling on them. You might be able to get the polishing a little faster but the shorter throw is still a shorter throw.

If you do others vehicals and they are generally neglected so you need to be doing a cutting step and finishing polish step. Then you have great time to save with a 15mm longthrow polisher vs your XP polisher. And if you know that most cars is on the harder side of the hardness of the clearcoat a 21mm longthrow polisher would be a benefit and even more if it`s usually bigger vehicals too. Sure you get some extra ghosting from them. But as with a 15mm you get it with this too. So a 3" polisher around the edges is needed anyways IMO. The 15mm longthrow polisher seems to be the sweet spot for least vibrations from the polisher.

If you only do mostly your own vehicals and families and friends where they take care of their vehicals after you have done them. And a 1 step polishing is usually what`s needed. And you feel fine with the time spent you do on the polishing with the XP polisher. Then a G9 polisher could be what you are looking for. Or get a dedicated 3" polisher. The problem I see could be after a while is if you get a good 3" polisher which you mentioned are. Is that you might feel to get a better 5"-6" longthrow polisher or with going with the face of the pads sizes 6"-7" after a while. This might be the case with if you go with a longthrow polisher now too. That you want to get a better 3" polisher later on LOL.

To be honest I would get with a longthrow polisher in your case. As the XP seems to be working decent with a 3" backing plate setup. With the better price on the G15 and G21 and the warranty from GG you have a great polisher for many years to come. I think that they have a new version of them coming out soon on there longthrow polishers. And that`s why they are dropping the prices. Also the other cheaper than Rupes and Flex longthrow polishers is also cheaper than the G15 and G21 too. And what I have heard they have a great quality too like the Max Shine polishers and maybe the Adam`s Swirl Killer longthrows too. So with a price drop they might be needed to be doing as they seems to be in the middle of the price range of the longthrow polishers. So keep your eyes open up if the buzz of a new version of the G15 and G21 is coming or not.

I went head in and got me a cheap 21mm knockoff polisher for $80 LOL. But got remembered on very soon that I needed to be haveing a complement 3" polisher. So got the Shinemate EX603 mini polisher which is the ones that makes the Adam`s Swirl Killer Mini polisher. Now I`m haveing a 3" polisher with a high quality and a cheapo longthrow polisher that I feel like to upgrade. I like the effectiveness from the 21mm longthrow polisher I have now even if I need to be very casious on the technique to keep the pad spinning with what I have now. Should I go with a 15mm longthrow polisher and maybe feel like a downgrade in the performance or just go with a better 21mm. I don`t mind the ghosting from them as it nice to get around the edges first with the 3" polisher and then have a safety zone for the longthrow polisher. It`s not easy decisions LOL.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A lot to digress and think about from all these comments...another wrinkle to throw in to the mix for me is this. With the 2 young boys we are quickly out growing our 12 Fusion as our family vehicle. Its paid off this year...in a few months actually. We originally leased it back in 2012 after we got married....my beloved 99 ranger blew up on me on the way home from work one evening....and my wife de ided it was time for her to have a new car. Crazy thing about this is when we got the car she lived 1 minute from work...then before we had our first son we moved back to our hometown and she was fortunate enough to not have to go back to work full time as of yet...we learned to live within our means...we know we need to get a bigger vehicle...but we aren`t until this one is paid off...I actually just realized how long we have been paying on this vehicle....but in a few months we have a car we fully own, that has less than 50K miles, and is still in very very good condition.

Once that is paid we have decided we will be getting an SUV with 3rd row seating....so that being said a 15MM throw is probably in my best interest. I don`t see too many SUV`s that don`t have large, flat panels right now....and we will most likely buy used.

I also want a truck, but holy cow the prices on one is ridiculous...around here even a used is way too much.

So I`m thinking a 15MM is the way to go for now...and yes eventually a better mini polisher, but that can wait

The thread about the $99 polisher from Dr color chip...does anyone know if that polisher can use a lake country backing plate? But when using a 15mm throw do you want a 6" BP or a 5" BP?

Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m gonna devils advocate it here and say get the 21 and plow right through corners and be happy with 60% correction in every corner or edge but 110% correction straight down the middle of the panel LSP ready

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    A lot to digress and think about from all these comments...another wrinkle to throw in to the mix for me is this. With the 2 young boys we are quickly out growing our 12 Fusion as our family vehicle. Its paid off this year...in a few months actually. We originally leased it back in 2012 after we got married....my beloved 99 ranger blew up on me on the way home from work one evening....and my wife de ided it was time for her to have a new car. Crazy thing about this is when we got the car she lived 1 minute from work...then before we had our first son we moved back to our hometown and she was fortunate enough to not have to go back to work full time as of yet...we learned to live within our means...we know we need to get a bigger vehicle...but we aren`t until this one is paid off...I actually just realized how long we have been paying on this vehicle....but in a few months we have a car we fully own, that has less than 50K miles, and is still in very very good condition.

Once that is paid we have decided we will be getting an SUV with 3rd row seating....so that being said a 15MM throw is probably in my best interest. I don`t see too many SUV`s that don`t have large, flat panels right now....and we will most likely buy used.

I also want a truck, but holy cow the prices on one is ridiculous...around here even a used is way too much.

So I`m thinking a 15MM is the way to go for now...and yes eventually a better mini polisher, but that can wait

The thread about the $99 polisher from Dr color chip...does anyone know if that polisher can use a lake country backing plate? But when using a 15mm throw do you want a 6" BP or a 5" BP?

I’d personally stay away from that polisher. If not wanting to pay for a Rupes or even the griots on sale. I’d look at the Maxshine M15. You can get for a good price. But if price is the Case id fo with the G9. Life time warranty and reliability trump long throw

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PC and did your option 2 by turning it into a 3" or 4"? when I bought a Flex 3401 years ago. I now await a Flex cordless PXE80

The machine I use 80% of the time...... Griots cordless. Love the freedom. Travels well when visiting family & doing a morning detail. Great for "spreading" your favorite "juice"!

Post Thanks / Like

HI

I think Harbor Freight has a new company for polishers, maybe take a look at this one

Want to add a 2nd DA polisher-64528_w3.jpg

good price.
    Want to add a 2nd DA polisher-processed-2-.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny, KBsToy liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post

AStouffer512 --

If that Dr. Colorchip is advertised as a Random Orbital Machine, then it will probably take any screw-on Backing Plate, including the Lake Country Backing Plate which is just another universal backing plate for Random Orbitals..
    Just look at the picture of the Dr. ColorChip machine and see if it looks like your Porter Cable backing plate..

Any Company selling a regular random orbital machine would be nuts to make a special size screw for the backing plate, it would cost them more money..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

AStouffer512 - I just looked all over the web and I don`t even see a Dr. ColorChip Random Orbital anything...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any experience with the Adams swirl killer polishers?

The option to pay over time seems nice

Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t tried the SK or SK pro. I have their SK mini wich is their 3”. It’s a solid machine built by same company who makes their 15 and 21mm also.

In all honesty though the griots are better machines. The g8 is smoother, which isnt the main kicker its quieter.... winner for me. I did consider the SK for the price difference but with the sale..... put it on a card.

I went down the same exact process your going tbrough. If the rupes isnt worth it to you and you dont want a forced rotation.... boss 15 seemed to be the best rated option. Just buy it and try it. 180 day money back gaurantee

Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Really your best machine is a Griot15, works awesome & the ergonomics is great. Uses 5.5`` pads. Griots m/f pads work great w/ quality compounds/polishes. The 15mm throw w/ less costly 5.5`` pads....

Post Thanks / Like

Get a cheap rotary and play around with it. If you like it get the flex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    Get a cheap rotary and play around with it. If you like it get the flex
    That`s an interesting suggestion! I`d think the two completely, 100% different with regard to smoothness...like, rotaries are SMOOOOOTH but the Flex 3401 has some, uhm..."recoil" to it that some here (not me!) simply hate. I`m always noting how some rotary guys think that *any* RO/DA is a vibration monster and that makes me think they`d *really* hate the Flex 3401.

Not that I know how other people think about this stuff so it`s not like I`m arguing with you, just scratching my head and wondering about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information