Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt 20V Li ion Max Cordless DA Sander

Saw this & it caught my interest for a bunch of reasons. First, comes with 5" hook & loop BP. Second, sanding run time is about an hour. Third - I haven`t used this, but own several Milwaukee lithium ion cordless tools and they are quite powerful. Fourth, price is reasonable - $120 for tool only - probably double that for tool, 2 batteries charger.

The 1 hour battery run time means you could polish continually normally by flip flopping between 2 batteries. An hour of paint correction is more than polisher on panel - it`s also cleaning off spent polish, priming pads, inspecting paint, etc...

I didn`t see a spec for throw - I`m guessing it`s likely 5-8mm. OPMs seem a bit high 8-12000.

I dunno - any feedback on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dewalt 20V Li ion Max Cordless DA Sander

Probably great for waxing or sealing. Don`t get your hopes up for any correction work. Id be surprised if it has even 5mm of throw if its anything like my corded dewalt sander. Plus the corded one stalls (loses rotation) quite easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Swanicyouth- You don`t forsee problems with that high speed? Just wondering, thinking how Mike lambert has insisted that he never runs his polishers even close to 6K and that I should consider doing the same. Heh heh, I bet M105 would have one really short work time at 8,000!

Some of the newer cordless tools are indeed very impressive, and I too love my Milwaukee! I bet we will indeed have a good cordless RO/DA pretty soon. Just not sure if that Dewalt is it.

Post Thanks / Like

I basically asked the same question when I started on the forum. I figured out the my da sander was just under a 2mm throw. When looking at new ones, The throw on them is really small. After that research I didn`t see them as a real option. I did use it for doing a set of headlights though. The jags headlights are rather small so I found the short throw as an advantage. That and I can use only one hand. So it made for much easier control on such a tight area.

Post Thanks / Like

The cordless tools are getting good though. I’m a Milwaukee guy. I recently got this as my latest:

Traditional compressors are dinosaurs for DYI guy. This thing is pretty awesome. No stoopid ciggy lighter cords, 100% portable, and stops at preset pressure.

I know Flex has a cordless DA- but I think it’s like $600? That price is insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I know Flex has a cordless DA- but I think it’s like $600? That price is insane.
    I just checked and it`s $567 in the Autopia store (XFE15). I got my Flex 3401 not long after they came out (2007?) and I remember it being about $275...now it`s $436 (same price as the corded version of the XFE15). While I agree that the pricing has become insane, I don`t think $131 is a bad add to go from corded to cordless.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it might work for an AIO machine or a light polish but corded still rules for continuous use duties. I`ve been on the cordless bandwagon for a long time, my first cordless electric trimmer was a Ryobi I got in the late 90`s IIRC. I`ve progressed and have a good investment in the Ryobi One system now. Interestingly enough, I picked up a corded string trimmer for our vacation house (batteries would be dead from sitting most of the time) and was amazed at the power that corded $20 trimmer had.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use a cordless trimmer myself. It’s a Greenworks. Gives me the same basic professional results as a gas one.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information