Post Thanks / Like

Different pads with different polishes

I know that using a more aggressive polish and then a less aggressive polish would give you an ideal result. Just like increasing the grit of your sandpaper. I imagine the same is with the pad. But where I get confused is putting a polish on a pad that doesn`t necessarily match the aggressiveness of the polish.

Say for example, I used M205 with a lake country flat orange, or yellow pad. Or I used M105 with a flat black lake country pad.

Could a pad replace a polish? Again, lets say I was using m205 to remove 3000 grit sanding marks with a flat lake country green or white pad on a DA. Would probably take a while to remove those defects. M105 would probably be more appropriate. But what if the M205 was put on a more aggressive pad, such as a LC Yellow or Orange, would it have a similar result to M105 on a flat white pad?

The question isn`t as easy to write out as I thought but I hope it makes sense. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Different pads with different polishes

You can change the aggressiveness of the product by changing pads. For example Griots boss system,you can use any product with any of the pads. M205 on a microfiber pad works great. Yi just need to do a test spot and see what works.
    Thanks agtjamesb007 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

[Disclaimer- The following might not apply to the newer Long-Throw polishers like the GG Boss and Rupes as it is based on my experience with other systems. Also, I have not addressed MF/wool pads nor polishing Technique (which certainly factors in).]

IME it`s generally better to use a more aggressive PRODUCT with a gentle pad than the other way around. Various tweaks can affect how a product behaves, but IMO pads are subject to fewer possible influences; pads behave the way they behave and there`s not a lot to be done about it.

I see no reason to use a mild product with a pad that`s so harsh as to leave micromarring (e.g., LC Yellow) even though it might work. Similarly, I can`t finish out 100% with harsh products like M105 even when used with a mild pad, but don`t care as I`d never plan to do that anyhow (Yeah, I`ve discussed these topics with Kevin/Theal/others.) The Conventional Combinations simply work best for me.

Consider the variables for Pads and Products and what those variables can mean functionally-speaking and make your decisions based on the likely effects. Some examples are (and this is not exhaustive):

(Foam) Pads:

-Pore size
    -Pad thickness
    -Pad firmness
    -Harshness/cut of the foam
    -Texture/topography of the foam
    -Differing effects of using pad wet/dry (I suspect this isn`t very relevant these days)

Products:

-Diminishing/non abrasive type
    -"Sharpness" of the abrasive (e.g., IME M205 is sharp, HD Polish seems less sharp; both are Finishing Polishes)
    -Work/flash time (and how it might be altered)
    -Amount of product normally used (KBM vs. "a few dots")
    -Amount/nature of Polishing Oils

Considering the likely interplay of those factors should give you a basis for expectations, which may/not pan out when you try various combos but will at least get you into the right ballpark. With a little practice you`ll soon learn which combos work best/worst for *you*. But going far outside the lines doesn`t make sense to me...just because you can get something to work that doesn`t mean it`s a good idea.
    Likes PRND[S], felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using harsh pads with lighter polishes for several years.
    It is not always ideal but the one gain is that a lighter, more lubricated polish will allow the pad to work better and not clump or clog up and finish with no marring or far lighter marring and a nicer finish than if a stronger polish or compound was used
    The buffing pad aficionado
    Likes agtjamesb007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s one example - wool with jewelling polish! For correcting

Post Thanks / Like

You absolutely could do that.

I remember using M105 on LC Tangerine Hydrotechs, and experiencing complete defect removal, with a great finish.

However, generally speaking I tend to use my finishing polishes on any of my pads, from cutting microfiber to soft foam finishing. Conversely I tend to reserve my more aggressive compounds to pair with my aggressive pads.

It`s just a personal thing to me.

Say I typically use a blue Buff and Shine pad to polish using M205. My normal inclination is NOT to use that pad with M105. However, their green pad, whic I typically do my cutting with, I will also use M205.

Probably my OCD....?

Post Thanks / Like

I used Meg`s 205 on an orange LC pad on my Trans Am the last time I polished it. 205 w a white pad wasn`t cutting it. Because I like working w 205 so much (and hated how much 105 dusted on me) I stepped up to the orange pad just to simply avoid moving to Megs 105. Worked great and finished LSP ready. It wasn`t a combination I would have ever thought of using but I just sort of tried it out as I was working. As Mike Lambert said - you just need to test out different combinations to see what works in each particular instance.

Post Thanks / Like

105 has stoddard solvent in it, a low grade ingredient I think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailology Oz View Post
    105 has stoddard solvent in it..
    Huh, doesn`t smell like it so that never occurred to me. Learn something every day around here!

Thread Information