Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help selecting DA package polishes; question on waxing with a DA

Ordered the polishes and pads today:

Optimum Compound II, Optimum Polish II and Poli Seal. Two MF bonnets, and 12 LC flat 5.5" pads - 1 yellow, 3 orange 3 white, 3 black, 2 blue.

I think this should be plenty to get me started. The optimum products were all 8 oz sizes. So if I want to try something else, I won`t have tons of unused product sitting around

Thanks for all the help! Once my polisher comes in I will be all set.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bill1975- I`ll be interested to hear which pads (white/black/blue) you like for certain tasks. FWIW, I never touch LC Yellows any more, preferring MF Cutting Disks...but Gee, NOW I say so after you bought the yellow!
    Likes Bill1975 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Originally, I planned on having 3 orange, 3 white, 3 black, and 3 blue. But, since I have noticed a few isolated deep scratches, I figured it wouldn`t hurt to have the yellow pad. Since I have no idea which combination of pad and product will work for me, I wanted to make sure all my bases were covered. I am not sure if the black or blue will be best for a finishing pad to apply wax. I couldn`t decide so I purchased both, but 6 finishing pads might be overkill for now, so I opted to replace one of the blue pads with a yellow one and have all my bases covered.

Since I have no prior experience with polishing, my thinking was this:

1 yellow pad for compounding one or two areas with deep scratches if the orange pad won`t work (I`m assuming the paint on my 2013 VW GTI is just as hard as that on my 2004 VW Passat.)

3 orange pads if I ever have a lot of heavy marring over the whole car. Can use with a polish or compound

3 white pads. I am assuming this is a good "general use" pad to use with the Optimum Polish II, or another product like Meguiars 205. Maybe even an AIO like Poli-Seal. The car as a whole is not really that badly swirled and this combo might give me the most overall improvement.

3 black pads - I can use these to apply wax, or finish with Poli-Seal after polishing.

2 blue pads - For waxing

A package of two reversible MF bonnets - for removing and buffing out wax or another LSP. It occurred to me, after I ordered, that after polishing, the residual polish will have to be removed, but for now I have enough MF towels that I can do that by hand.

This covers the complete range of LC`s basic flat pads. If I used the thin pads, or the CCS pads I would have even more options, but from what I read here, best to start with flat pads. Auto-Geek offers a 12 pad package - 12 5.5" LC flat pads for $65. Seemed like a good deal. Maybe it`s overkill, but I don`t want to get half way through and run out of pads, or have to stop to clean them.

Of course, once I actually get all this stuff and start learning how to use it, everything could change....

Post Thanks / Like

Bill1975- OK, see how that goes.

I myself, and I`m *NOT* saying you need to expect this, would want a lot more correction pads than that, and I`d use a small MF Cutting Disk for any trouble spots instead of the yellow. Just keep that in the back of your mind as you see how things go.

Just FWIW, with three orange pads I`d probably plan to get...oh, I dunno...like maybe the hood and front fenders done in one go, but again, that`s just me.

I never reverse the MF bonnets lest I contaminate the underlying pad or get bits of pad foam stuck to the MF and then press those against the paint (I usually use firm cutting pads or wool ones for backing MF bonnets).

And yeah, I usually use Polishing Pads like those (almost certainly *have* used those, just don`t recall) for AIOs. As long as the pads don`t have any cut in-and-of themselves they oughta be OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive my ignorance here boys- all these years I`ve ever used orange and white lake country lads. Orange to polish. White to finish. The red and black pads are for what, a final third polish just to flatten paint out ?

Can someone also tells us (working with a pc) at what speeds to run:

1. Orange pad+cutting compound
    2.white pad w/finishing compound
    3. Red or black pad w/final compound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlc95 View Post
    I have had a few people approach me about putting together a starter kit.

For polishing paint I usually set them up with the following:
    Meguiar`s Gold Class Car Wash
    Meguiar`s Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound
    Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish
    Meguiar`s Ultimate Liquid Wax
    2 - 5.5" Red Buff and Shine Pads (wax)
    4 - 5.5" Blue Buff and Shine Pads (polish)
    4 - 5.5" Green Buff and Shine Pads (compound)
    4 - 5.5" Buff and Shine Microfiber Cutting Pads (heavy compounding)
    5" Buff and Shine plate
    Porter Cable 7424xp
    12 Meguiar`s Supreme Shine Microfiber towels

Would you mind dumbing this down for me and tell me what pad to use with each product and in which order?

Experienced only menz products and 205/105 twins. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Would you mind dumbing this down for me and tell me what pad to use with each product and in which order?

Experienced only menz products and 205/105 twins. Thanks in advance!

1. Compound - Green pad/Ultimate Compound
    2. Finish polishing - Blue pad/Ultimate Polish
    3. Sealant application - Red pad/ultimate wax.

If the green pad isn`t removing the defects adequately, in a timely manner, I`ll switch to a microfiber cutting pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey OP- for what it`s worth, here is the recommended menzerna package by my local detail supplier. The guy has always been straight up and has saved me hundreds of dollars just by being upfront and telling me what not to buy.

Likes Bill1975 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty similar to what I was looking at. Although I was looking at the heavy cut 400 compound, medium cut polish, and the 3500 super finish. I guess the heavy cut 400 would probably be a little too aggressive? It was a little confusing because it seems that they changed the naming scheme for their products although with the way they are currently numbered it makes it easier to compare. I might check that out after using the optimum products I purchased. I got three 8-ounce bottles for $30. 1 compound, one polish, and Poli seal. Seems like a pretty good deal and I can always buy something else if I don`t like it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Forgive my ignorance here boys- all these years I`ve ever used orange and white lake country lads. Orange to polish. White to finish. The red and black pads are for what, a final third polish just to flatten paint out ?

Can someone also tells us (working with a pc) at what speeds to run:

1. Orange pad+cutting compound
    2.white pad w/finishing compound
    3. Red or black pad w/final compound

3. Black and red can be used for ultra fine polishing. However they`re typically used for machine application of sealants/waxes.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never had good experiences using extra-soft pads like the Black/Red for polishing. I don`t even like them with AIOs.

The Menzerna products have Diminishing Abrasives, right? I`d just wondering about that vs. the Non-Diminishing ones in M105/M205/etc. I`d expect most people to have a decided preference for one or the other (I like the NON-Diminishing myself).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1975 View Post
    This is pretty similar to what I was looking at. Although I was looking at the heavy cut 400 compound, medium cut polish, and the 3500 super finish. I guess the heavy cut 400 would probably be a little too aggressive? It was a little confusing because it seems that they changed the naming scheme for their products although with the way they are currently numbered it makes it easier to compare. I might check that out after using the optimum products I purchased. I got three 8-ounce bottles for $30. 1 compound, one polish, and Poli seal. Seems like a pretty good deal and I can always buy something else if I don`t like it
    Yes. You would have to work for NASA or the nsa to decipher menzerna products. 85rd this or final polish version this. Just a nightmare. I`m a big fan of the new labels

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got everything in, now I just need some time to try everything out. Too busy this weekend, and, if I`m polishing at my apartment complex, will likely need another extension cord...
    Likes danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I would bring this post back up if anyone is looking for paint correction tips. I recently used chemical guys products on my 2012 black 4Runner with great results.

Link Removed. You may bring info to this site, you may not solicit Autopia members to your detailing site.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information