Post Thanks / Like

Question Pad question - PFW, alternatives

I`m not gonna lie - I`ve been out of the game for a while. So maybe my question will show my age, or more my lack of keeping up with the progress of the enthusiast industry, but in any case:

I`m sort of curious about what the typical push is for enthusiast in the way of polishing pads nowadays. For a mild-to-moderately swirled/webbed finish, is a purple foamed wool (PFW) pad still a viable option? What I mean, is there some other pad media that`s a lot more effective and/or efficient. PFW would be followed by a foam polish or finish pad, depending. Machine would be a Flex 3401.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad question - PFW, alternatives

I`ve been looking into pads recently, as I`m diving deeper into detailing. I recently picked up a PFW, but haven`t used it.

That is still a viable option, but Lake Country also makes a newer hybrid pad that is supposed to be better

6 Inch Hybrid Power Finish Blue Wool Pad (Single) - LC-HYB-150BW

and product description from Lake Country... Lake Country - Category Products
    Likes JaredPointer, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks JaredPointer thanked for this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    I`m not gonna lie - I`ve been out of the game for a while.

wow look who is back

life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes JaredPointer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    wow look who is back

Well hello yourself, ole buddy!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.
    Likes Poorboy liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Lake Country Purple Foam Wool pads for only very damaged paint carefully, and they work very fast and will finish down pretty good on a Rotary..
    Of course, depending on the paint condition, type, compound, and process, they might need a follow up with a foam pad to get the clarity and gloss at the highest level...

A lot of guys like microfiber pads, but I don`t really care for them...
    They require a lot more maintenance - brushing and air blowing - I hear, and I don`t have time for that in a 1-man shop...
    And then they require follow up with foam anyway, to get the clarity and gloss back, so why not just keep the foam...

I have had great success learning the in`s and outs of the L/C Hydro-Shred line ( there are only 3 pads so it`s easy), and have settled on their Cyan Pad for all around defect removal of about anything with an appropriate strength compound and a Makita, and this combo can knock out anything on automotive paint really well..

I have used a zillion L/Country PFW pads on Airplanes and they work really great there, but it is really hard work and I don`t want to do anymore of those things...
    Dan F
    Thanks JustJesus, JaredPointer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

I have had great success learning the in`s and outs of the L/C Hydro-Shred line ( there are only 3 pads so it`s easy), and have settled on their Cyan Pad for all around defect removal of about anything with an appropriate strength compound and a Makita, and this combo can knock out anything on automotive paint really well..

Dan F
    Dan, any chance you`ve written some of those in`s and outs? Why do you call them Hydro "Shreds" ?? 2nd time I see you say that. Do they work really fast, or something?

Aside from the PFW, I`ve ordered other LC pads including flats, HydroTechs, and Hybrids. Once I`m done with my move (next week) I`ll have time to start playing around with polishing again.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Well hello yourself, ole buddy!

yup .. I`m back too We have started a new chapter in Poorboy`s World in Florida

I still use the PFW for headlights and for metals and they work great ... I am still using VC pads as only my Caddy has enough flat areas to justify a flat pad, all the rest of my vehicles have curves...

We are starting to carry Buff N Shine pads .. microfiber so far , and they are good as stated above, but are a bit more work to keep clean ..
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Dan, any chance you`ve written some of those in`s and outs? Why do you call them Hydro "Shreds" ?? 2nd time I see you say that. Do they work really fast, or something?

Aside from the PFW, I`ve ordered other LC pads including flats, HydroTechs, and Hybrids. Once I`m done with my move (next week) I`ll have time to start playing around with polishing again.
    Hydro Shred because they shred apart after a while. they don`t like rotary abuse especially

the new gen Hydrotech pads I`ve received (I say new gen because the backing looks different than the older ones) - I find they do not shred nearly as easily...If I remember, I will post a pic of a shredded one I have at home

the tangerine one is one of my favorite pads, the cyan is awesome as well.

Brandt K.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

as a side note,, the cyan hand pad + any decent polish is killer on key marks under the door handles!

Brandt K.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Amigo !

From their introduction, way, way, back, they would start to shred if used a lot and they got perhaps too hot, on a Rotary..
    So, I gave them the new name..

I have a big cabinet full of all colors of flat pads and as pad technology improved, I found that with these L/C Hydro-Shreds, I could pretty much knock out anything with just the Cyan pad alone and still get great clarity and gloss from just the 1 pad...

You have to experiment with the compounds and polishes and find what works best for that paintwork in that temp and humidity, that day..

I have always preferred Menzerna over all the others because they work nicely and break down and are gone without a lot of issues... And it helps that they have been making these things for longer than anyone else, so they just might know by experiences what works best...

The only other company I have found that is newer and also works great is Optimum - their Hyper-Polish is especially nice and since it is non-diminishing, it will work until you decide to stop because the finish is at the level you want and the gloss is outstanding...

There are as you well know, a whole lot more new products out there and some older, very well established products already here.. Just try a few out and see what you and your machine, pads, and process relate to the best and keep at it until you decide you want to try something else..

I am just sharing with you what as worked really well on hundreds of vehicles over a decade, mostly German, some exotics, many American and Asian, a few British using the Cyan and sometimes Tangerine pads for correction...

To be fair though, they replaced the shredded ones for a long time, and by then, I just quit worrying about and refined my process to include this -

--- Keep the pad moist but not wet..
    --- I spray a pad conditioner on it, rub it in a little with 1 finger to get it hopefully equal across the surface..
    --- I keep just enough perhaps more than most, of the compound or polish on the pad so it doesn`t dry up too soon and stop the process it needs to finish cleaning and bringing back the gloss to the surface..
    --- I initially use a lot of downward pressure on the Rotary to get all the things acquainted with each other and then as I am moving it across that spot, look at it and see how it is going... Is it clearing up and the finish is smooth and glossy? Stop there.. If not, continue on until the products are gone or almost gone..
    --- For a Random Orbital, you need as much Pad Rotation as possible, so I would run it full speed and slow it down as the process cleans and polishes good.
    --- For my Makita, I rarely use more than 1,000 - 1,200 rpm and prefer to stay on the low side, just use more pressure and let all the stuff work until it`s gone..

Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I`m one of those microfiber pad lovers. If you haven`t tried them give them a try. I use Meguires pads and whatever polish suits the paint. The Meg`s microfiber cutting pads work great on abused paint and I especially like Meg`s microfiber finishing pads used with CarPro Essence prior to using a coating product to cut down on prep time. If you have been away for awhile you have to get up to speed with all the coating options. Welcome back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Amigo !

From their introduction, way, way, back, they would start to shred if used a lot and they got perhaps too hot, on a Rotary..
    So, I gave them the new name..

I have a big cabinet full of all colors of flat pads and as pad technology improved, I found that with these L/C Hydro-Shreds, I could pretty much knock out anything with just the Cyan pad alone and still get great clarity and gloss from just the 1 pad...

You have to experiment with the compounds and polishes and find what works best for that paintwork in that temp and humidity, that day..

I have always preferred Menzerna over all the others because they work nicely and break down and are gone without a lot of issues... And it helps that they have been making these things for longer than anyone else, so they just might know by experiences what works best...

Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Hydro-Shred!! Now it makes sense. hehe.

That`s some good info right there. Sounds like that Cyan pad is good stuff. I have a set of the three, so I`ll be testing it out. Well, like you said, experiment. I have tried a few, including Menzerna, and have about 4-5 samples of other compound/polish sets I`ll be trying out soon (expect a review in the upcoming months).

I`m adding your post into my notepad for future reference. Like I said, good info. And, I`m actually already practicing some of the things you`ve mentioned. Yay me! I also have more pads (variety) coming, along with another machine to add to my other machine I just recently received. (both are Flex). I want to try different things out and see what I end up liking. Plus, good to have variety of "tools" for the variety platforms (paint systems) I`ll be working on.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I`m one of those microfiber pad lovers. If you haven`t tried them give them a try. I use Meguires pads and whatever polish suits the paint. The Meg`s microfiber cutting pads work great on abused paint and I especially like Meg`s microfiber finishing pads used with CarPro Essence ...
    I found myself liking Megs cut discs for some situations! And funny you mentioned it, but my last order included Essence and Megs MF Finishing discs (both will be new experience for me).

So it wasn`t entirely a thread jack! The posts are good and have info related to the OP.

Thanks guys!

Thread Information