Post Thanks / Like

hand polishing/paint correction in tight spaces

Hi all. I`m looking for some recommendations for bringing back slightly faded red paint on some tight spots around the various grills on my GTI. I`ve tried using some machine polish by hand, but nothing seems to be working well.
    I could take all the grills and trim off and get in there with my DA polisher, but I`m hoping to avoid that.

Example of the area I`m trying to work on:
    [/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hand polishing/paint correction in tight spaces

I usually use Meg`s Ultimate Compound for hand polishing under door handles and other tight areas. It works good and fast. I don`t know how my other polishes would compare because I have always just used that for hand polishing since it works so fast. And it can be bought at any big retail store.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a 3" backing plate and 3" pads for my PC7424 to work a lot of the tight places. There are some areas regardless that will still need to be hand polished. Ultimate compound does work great and I also use Meg D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme for the hand polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Ultimate Compound on the way already, so I`ll give that a try. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Love the GTI.

I purchased and used Poorboy`s Professional Polish for this very reason, and it worked great. It is primarily a chemical polish, so there`s no abrasives to work down. It`s also pad-dependant. I bought a 3" Tangerine pad and used it by hand around my spoiler and deck lid and it worked very well.

That being said, as for a something you can pick up "at the store", I can`t say enough good things about Megs Ultimate Compound, so I can second the previous sugestion. I had UC on-hand, but the Professional Polish was a better choice for me, in this application. Personally, I can`t finish down compounds by hand very well.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are referring to the edges of all those grill openings, there is nothing that can get in there safely except your finger/s...

If you could get a machine in there, it is just too risky to be working and possibly getting close to the edges which always have less paint..

I always use either Meguiars 105 or 101, and it finishes down beautifully, as long as you keep it damp, use a cotton cloth wrapped around your finger/s, and just rub it in straight line motions until the product is gone from the finish...

Take your time, do not take your eyes off the work, be careful especially for the edges... dont be super-hard on this - just finesse it out...

Good luck!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I always use either Meguiars 105 or 101, and it finishes down beautifully, as long as you keep it damp......
    Isn`t Ultimate Compound just a more user-friendly version of 105, and thus wouldn`t need to keep it damp?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Isn`t Ultimate Compound just a more user-friendly version of 105, and thus wouldn`t need to keep it damp?
    I am not sure if Ultimate Compound is a more user friendly version of M105, but as with any compound, (except for Optimum) I have found that if it is kept a little damp, and worked that way, there is less to no chance of getting dust everywhere, and the product will work longer..

This is just what I like to do and to date, have never had anything but great results..

Everyone finds their own "method/s" and refines them continually..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Yes, Ultimate Compound is basically the "consumer" version of M105. It is just a little less aggressive with hardly any dusting issues. I have used UC to correct a lot of vehicles. Its a great product that is readily available at many retail locations.

Post Thanks / Like

a griot`s 3" da works pretty good in tight spots, but I often use a griot`s 3" pad holder when doing it by hand is necessary. white and orange 3" pads should do the trick.
    Griot`s Garage Mini 3 Inch Pad Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I had already picked up some Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound for using on the rest of the car, so I tried using it by hand in these tight spots. Worked beautifully! Now the red on the front bumper matches the rest of the car. Thanks for the suggestions!

The Meg`s UC worked wonders on the rest of the car, too. Love this stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cackleberry View Post
    I had already picked up some Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound for using on the rest of the car, so I tried using it by hand in these tight spots. Worked beautifully! Now the red on the front bumper matches the rest of the car. Thanks for the suggestions!

Great to hear! Also be careful with that bottle. I have broke two bottoms of UC. I don`t know why it is so fragile, I don`t usually toss stuff around but maybe I did with those

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cackleberry View Post

Awesome, glad to hear!

Thread Information