Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonus Pads or LC pads..which to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    People have different interpretations of size on Lake Country Pads. What LC calls a 6.5" pad, CMA and other sites call a 7.5" pad. Some measure the back of the pad while others measure the front.

The "Standard" Curved Edge Variable Contact (Advanced) pad is a 6.5" pad. You will find this at most LC vendors. They are available in Yellow, orange, green, white, black and blue.
    Scott,

Your post confused me, so I did some checking. It looks like Lake Country makes multiple pads for different retailers. Based on what I can see and read, they are NOT the same pads.

CMA (www.properautocare.com) - Check out this link:
    http://www.properautocare.com/mafopaloatla.html

About 1/3 of the way down is the "6-1/2 inch VC Pad with Polish Pocket". I think this is the old pad. Note that it does NOT have the blue "Constant Pressure" foam backing.

About 3/4 of the way down the page is the "6 inch Constant Pressure Pad". This is the pad that I`ve been referring to. Note that it DOES have the Constant Pressure backing. It has a polish pocket in the center. It only comes in yellow, orange, white, black and red. But not blue and green. (Note that the orange pad is listed separately.)

Below the 6" pads are the "7-1/2 inch, Advanced Constant Pressure Pad". This is the other pad that I`ve been referring to. Again, it DOES have the Constant Pressure backing and has a polish pocket. It has a contour similar to the "Variable Contour" pad (which is the older pad, I believe). It only comes in yellow, orange, white, black and red. But not blue and green.

www.topoftheline.com:
    http://www.topoftheline.com/porter-cable-polisher.html

It appears that these folks are offering the LC 7.5" NON-constant pressure "variable DEPTH" pads. They do NOT have the "constant pressure" blue foam backing. These come in the yellow, orange, white, blue, green and black. But not red.

They also offer the 6.5" FLAT pads. These are NOT the same as CMA`s 6" pressure pads with polish pocket. They come in orange, black and white.

At Lake Country site:

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foampads.html

You will find different information. You can see that the LC folks don`t show the CMA pads. They do show the Premimum Auto Car pads, but refer to the 7.5" pads as the "Variable Contact" pads, not "Variable Depth" (Top of the line). These don`t have the blue "constant pressure" backing of CMA pads (which are made by LC).

Then at http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html:

They offer the 6.5" and 7.5" "Variable Contact" pads. These do NOT have the "Constant Pressure" foam backing. The do however look like some of the other pads offered by Top of the line. But, they have different colors!

It`s a confusing place out there. I was hoping to offer clarity here, but I think I`ve added to the confusion. :ticked

But, what I can see is that the CMA pads are 1) LC Pads and 2) curved and 3) have a blue "constant pressure" backing. Therefore, they ARE different from the LC pads offered by other vendors. Better? Maybe. (I like them) I don`t really know. But they ARE different!

We havin` fun yet? :huh

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan,

These pads sure are confusing!

You could also request literature and a price list from LC`s site. Helped me better understand their offering at the time which seems to have expanded substantially in about a year`s time. I also ordered some stuff from them I just couldn`t find elsewhere.

I believe those constant pressure pads , CMA ones, are in the same sort of situation as the Sonus pads, made to spec by LC but sold only through their exclusive vendors.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Confusion is all too common among pads. You have many different companies mkaing them and even more companies selling them. Lake Country makes pads for Top of the Line, CMA, me and many other Vendors. The new Constant Pressure Pads are a CMA exclusive. You will not find them on the LC website.

I`ll use Top of the Line as an example here. They sell what they call Lake Country Polisher Pads 7.5" for $9.95. They measure the outside of the pad. These are really the Lake Country 6.5" Variable Contour Curved Edge Pads.

In the rotary pad section, they sell Lake Country 8.5" pads. In reality, these are Lake Country 7.5 inch pads.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Dano,
    Go with the Sonus pad...not as confusing for you and a great product.
    I was in a similar sistuation back in August not knowing which one to go with but opted for the Sonus and have no regrets.

Best wishes to you.
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have any experience with any other pads and am a relative noobe myself, but I got the Sonus pads and they have been just fine. No complaints. I like the small black velcro because it is just about an eighth of an inch bigger all around than the backing plate which makes it easy to judge centering it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgc2
    Dano,
    Go with the Sonus pad...not as confusing for you and a great product.
    I was in a similar sistuation back in August not knowing which one to go with but opted for the Sonus and have no regrets.

Best wishes to you.
    Regards,
    Well I may try the Sonus pads, but I have a complete set of 6" AND 7.5" LC pads from CMA. (I believe you were thinking of another poster.) For example, in the 7.5" pads, I have 1 each of the yellow, orange, and black pads and 2 each of the white and red pads. (Lots of pads.) I`m very happy with the 7.5" LC pads.

I`ve been watching Sonus and Edge. Each have a following, have their unique benefits, and seem like very good quality. I may order a pad or two from them just for "grins" to try them out.

Best regards,

Dan.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

On a previous post in this thread, someone theorized that LC makes almost all the foam pads on the market. Does anyone know for a fact that someone else besides LC is making foam pads & not just relabelling LC pads?

Apparently, LC makes the 6.5" flat pads for TOL and LC makes the 7.5" Variable Contact Constant pressure pads for CMA. Seems like no one else carries these specific size pads.

Someone said that Sonus pads could be proprietary pads that LC makes for Autopia which (in another DC thread or Autopia) markets the Sonus line as their own line of products.

If these points are true, then the difference between all these pads is the attaching system (Edge) and size .... nothing more.

Is this a possibility?
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

I`m pretty sure The Edge and other companies like Buff &Shine and SM Arnold make their own. I believe Meguiars denied LC makes their pads, IIRC they said they make their own :dunno

Post Thanks / Like

Sonus pads are not made by Lake Country. I know the name, but can`t think of them right now. I like the Edge foam too and will be giving them a workout tomorrow when I get my car ready for winter.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Scott,
    I`m very curious about that, definitely post again if you remember. I understand there`s supposed to be 4"/Cyclo pads from Sonus coming out. Really looking forward!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYV6Coupe

If these points are true, then the difference between all these pads is the attaching system (Edge) and size .... nothing more.

Is this a possibility?
    Just to clear things up about Edge Pads , they are made by Edge (actually Dedication To Detail Inc which is The Edge) the Edge 2000 pads are a patented product. Back in May I had the chance to tour the factory where these pads are made so this how I know (just in case you all were wondering) The attaching system isn`t the only thing seperating them from the other pads on the market .On no other pad can you use 100% of the pad by this I mean the top ,bottom and sides of the pad , with the Edge 2000 you can.Hope this clears things up. No I don`t work for them , I`m just a happy user
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information