Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonus Pads or LC pads..which to get?

Flat LC pads do exist, perhaps just not as readily available for sale. I believe LC is actually the mfr of Sonus pads. You could at least one of the cuytting, polishing and finishing and I`d highly recommend at least two of each especially if you are starting to build a nice polish collection.

I`ve worked IP until it dusts with good results. I work FP long enough so it won`t "glue" to the finish and be difficult to remove. Hard to put an exact time stamp on the process.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d stock up on white (polishing pads). Maybe one extra cutting pad and two extra polishing pads. Why two extra polishing pads? One, because I think you will find these will become your "go to" pads in most cases and two, because it is a good idea to use a different polishing pads for each level of abrasive polish, finishing or cutting (one for IP and one for FP)

On the shape of the pad, you know this is a personal preference thing, especially when using with a PC. I like flat pads, others will tell you they prefer shaped pads, either VC or AVC. Why not buy one of each shape in the polishing pad and find out which you prefer? Don`t worry about making a "mistake", all of these pads work OK, but trying them is going to be the best way (and maybe the only way) that you will learn what you like and what suits YOU best.

One last piece of advice, You might want to think about polishes again. I really like FPII using a PC and Rotary but IP can sometimes struggle to remove deeper swirls using just a PC (it does fine with a rotary). You might want to consider a more abrasive cutting polish like Megs DACP, 3M PI-III RC or SSR2.5 IMHO.

Hope this is helpful to you
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

7.5" LC pad kit + spares

I thought I`d weigh in here...

I`ve looked at the Sonus and the Edge pads. I think both may have some advantages, especially the Edge pads if you have a rotary and a PC. But, I went with the LC pads...

First I started with the 6" LC pads. They were nice, but I liked the flexibility that the 7.5" pads offered. I came up to speed with the 6" pads quickly, so I ordered the 7.5" pad kit from Proper Auto Care. Here`s the kit with the 6" flexible backing plate:

http://www.properautocare.com/ad712inhipad.html

They work well, center easily and have a flexible plastic backing that is completely different from the 6" pads (which have no plastic backing). The velcro sticks so well to the backing plate that, after washing, they can be dried by sticking the pad in a large bucket and turning your PC on. (They`re almost dry in 30 seconds or so.)

In addition to the kit, you may want to order order a yellow pad for compounding.

I`m assuming that you use Zaino. I`ve had much better luck applying Z5 with a PC than buy hand. So, you have two choices. Order a black pad to apply the Z5 and then use the red pad to apply Z2. Or, order a second red pad and apply Z5 and Z2 with the red pads.

I`ve applied Z5 with the black and with the red LC 7.5" pads. I`m still not sure which is best. The black pad would give you a bit of polishing and might be better if you want to emphasize the Z5`s modest polishing/filling abilities. On the other hand, the red pad is EXTREMELY soft and easy to work with. I think Z5 application is slightly smoother with the red pad and it seems to use a bit less product.

Since I use Menzerna FPII as my final polish, I don`t look to Z5 for it`s polishing abilities. So, on my next detail, I think I`ll use the red pads for both Z5 an Z2. That`s my slight preference now. (I may change, of course.)

Don`t forget to get something to clean the pads. I use "Snappy", but there are other choices (check around).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    I`ve worked IP until it dusts with good results. I work FP long enough so it won`t "glue" to the finish and be difficult to remove. Hard to put an exact time stamp on the process.
    bill: are you using FP or FPII? Menzerna changed the formula in FP (hence FPII) to allow the product to be worked longer.

Are you taking the residue off with a dry MF or damp? Menzerna recommends a damp MF & I`ve had no problems or difficulty removing FPII residue.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

Flat LC pads do exist, perhaps just not as readily available for sale. I believe LC is actually the mfr of Sonus pads. You could at least one of the cuytting, polishing and finishing and I`d highly recommend at least two of each especially if you are starting to build a nice polish collection.
    Bill, based on what I`ve read on the "other site" I think you are correct; I believe that David even referred to that in a thread - I`ll try to look for it tonight. LC would be making the pads to spec. I don`t believe there is an LC version, so that gives Sonus exclusivity to the design. They are working on the 3rd generation Sonus pad now. All of the Sonus products are made to spec by someone else...I have loved all of the Sonus products that I have tried.
    2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6
    Lunar Mist Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I`m using FP ( not FP II). I ought to order FP II soon as my FP is quite low. I get good results and I understand FP II is easier to use I do use a damp mf to remove, help with the clean up quite a bit.

Yep, I`m sure the Sonus design is exclusively made for Sonus. I`m greatly anticipating the release of the 4"/Cyclo size pads.

Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s crazy because I have a serious customer`s phone number already (dad gave it to me from work), and I haven`t even used a PC yet!!! I planned on spending a weekend doing my sisters car and my parent`s cars for experience, but these customers...I`m happy there`s demand!!! Anyway, I NEED to order soon, and I`m still confused...

Don`t you think, as a novice, that I should START with 6" and work my way up to 7.5"? Those 7.5 inchers look great though....with the different contact areas! Does a flat pad work better for a beginner or a shaped pad? Budget wise, it`d make more sense to go Sonus, but results wise, is it better to have LC? If I buy both, it`s gonna get pricey! How many pads does it take to FP a car? That`s what I want to know...do I need more than one kind? I like the kit from CMA with 2 whites, a red, and an orange...a bit pricey though. Sonus is a little cheaper...which ones, sonus or LC, are easier to center? How long do pads usually last?

Since all of my options are 6 inch pads, what size backing plate do you recommend?

So many questions, so little time!
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Do what you know best now and learn as you go . If all your work so far has been by hand then continue it till you feel comfortable to use the PC. There`s nothing worse then the feel of being rushed into something. Its easy to become overwhemled by all the pads and product out there. Buy what you can afford and use it to gain experience with it and move up when your comfortable . Don`t worry about how long the pad will last ,which is easier to center . Your just confusing yourself more and more. Pick one ,buy it and use it , thats the only way your gonna know. We all learn at a different pace , so what one person says might not hold true for another person . Like the Nike commercial says . Just Do It ! In the end you`ll see it wasn`t so bad after all Good luck
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never seen the 7.5" advertised for use the PC, traditionally for the rotary only. I think I saw the other day that the largewr the pad on the PC s, the more vivbration. I`d stick with what the vendors recommend. I have 4", 6" and 6.5" pads I can use them on both the PC and rotary

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with rollman ..... simplify.

I started with 6.5" LC flat pads on a 6" backing plate from topoftheline.com & they have excellent prices & service.

here`s the link: http://www.topoftheline.com/lake-cou...sher-pads.html

I still used the 6.5" pads but I bought some of the 7.5" LC VC pads just because I liked the way the 6" plate fit in the recessed area on the backside of the pad.

I`ve had equally good success with both sizes but I`d start-out with the 6.5" pads just because they`re slighted larger OD than the OD of the backing plate.

How many pads (polishing pads) does it take to FPII a car? Depends on the condition of the paint & the size of the car, it could take two.

Relax, breathe, and enjoy the task(s) that you`re setting out to accomplish.

Haste (and anxiety) make waste.

Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m now getting a few of each brands, but I don`t know which backing plate to get...5in or 6in with 6 in pads?

Carl

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got a 5" plate that came in a kit of 6" pads, and I bought a 6" plate to use with the 7.5" pads.

Sonus pads (the back side is recessed like the LC 7.5" pads) only takes a 5" plate.

Buy a plate that matches-up with the pads you`re buying.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never seen the 7.5" advertised for use the PC, traditionally for the rotary only. I think I saw the other day that the largewr the pad on the PC s, the more vivbration. I`d stick with what the vendors recommend. I have 4", 6" and 6.5" pads I can use them on both the PC and rotary
    Bill,

I thought I`d expand your horizons! :hah Check the pics:

http://www.properautocare.com/ad712inhipad.html

I use the 7.5" LC pads with a PC 7336. No problem with vibration. I much prefer the 7.5" pads to the 6" pads. The 7.5" pads are safer than the 6", IMO. I upgraded from the 6" pads without a hitch.

On the other hand, for a complete newbie who`s never held a buffer in his hands, the 6" pads may be the way to go. The only way to tell is to just choose one size and brand, and dive in. If something doesn`t work for you, just get something else.

I tried Menzerna products. I like the IP and FPII, but don`t like the durability of FMJ. I switched to Zaino. Worked well for me. Car looks great, the Z5 is much more durable and I`m a happy camper now. If I have problems, I`ll switch again. :shift

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

People have different interpretations of size on Lake Country Pads. What LC calls a 6.5" pad, CMA and other sites call a 7.5" pad. Some measure the back of the pad while others measure the front.

The "Standard" Curved Edge Variable Contact (Advanced) pad is a 6.5" pad. You will find this at most LC vendors. They are available in Yellow, orange, green, white, black and blue.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Great point Scott

Bookemdano, Before the introduction of those new pads I never saw CMA nor anyone else speak of using the 7.5 with the PC. So sounds like when the latest gimmick and twist on a pad is released it`s recommended for anything. :hah Sounds like anything from a 3 to 9 could be used with the PC. At that rate, in time, one should consider getting the full range for polishing a spot job up to half a hood.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information