Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonus Pads or LC pads..which to get?

After some thought...

I have some older L&C 6.5in pads that I like for doing differnt areas.

Cutting pad...I like the smaller pad it gives me more control.

finishing I like the L&C Hi-gloss

The thing thats annoying is that none of these products are available local so you can`t look and feel and touch...

Post Thanks / Like

Is L&C Lake Country or yet another pad manufacturer? :huh
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

The velcro backing on the 7.5" LC pads the Audion19s mentioned is also the best, most durable backing of the the various LC pads that I`ve tried. Very substantial & firm and I`ve never had a 7.5" pad fly off if I inadvertantly (mindlessly) lift the PC off the surface before turning it off.

As much has I don`t find centering a 6" or 6.5" pad on a 6" plate difficult (attention to detail), the 7.5" LC pads make it almost impossible to mis-center a pad.... eliminating an additional possible source of imbalance & vibration.

You can find more info here: http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/

and here: http://www.properautocare.com/mafopaloatla.html
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

7.5" works well on the PC huh. I`m surprised it isn`t featured more on PCs since it has the best velcro backing

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should consider flat pads. (Flat--Edge, Sonus, Meguiars`).

I like the larger contact surface of flat pads. I get the best results from IP and FP with flat pads with a DA. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SPLATTER using FLAT PADS either....one of VC`s "advantages" is to prevent this. I think that`s more a concern with rotary use. Use what you like. :cool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sveta
    Maybe you should consider flat pads. (Flat--Edge, Sonus, Meguiars`).

I like the larger contact surface of flat pads. I get the best results from IP and FP with flat pads with a DA. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SPLATTER using FLAT PADS either....one of VC`s "advantages" is to prevent this. I think that`s more a concern with rotary use. Use what you like. :cool
    Moving to a flat pad is what attracted me to the Sonus pads (I had been using LC varible contact). One of the draw backs with using a PC is that sometimes it can lack enough "bite" to remove deeper swirls. Anything that increases the cutting ability of a PC is welcome, including maximizing the cutting surface by using a flat pad face.

Another thing to keep in mind, the larger the pad, the more vibration. Don`t believe me? Try it yourself. Take a 6" pad, 5" backing plate and load a 6" counter weight on the PC. Run the PC then compare that set up to using a 7.5" pad and 6" backing plate. Smaller pads and backing plates give less vibration IMHO. You can even take this experiment to an extreme and load a 3.5" backing plate and 4" pad, even less vibration.

Just my 2 cents...
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve read a lot of posts that beginners should start with smaller pads and wait until they have mastered the PC before moving on to larger pads. I`m not sure if this is carry over from rotaries or not, but I ran into this enough when I was researching what to buy that I only bought 6" or 6.5" pads.

Let me say that I`ve been very happy with my LC & Sonus pads (and I`m sure I`ll love the Edge pads when I finally give them a whirl this weekend).

The PC is pretty safe and I haven`t had any issues with heat build up...does any one believe that this start with small pads theory is valid? I`m not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but since 7.5" pads were recommended I figure it is better that Carl get input on this as he may run across contradictory recommendations.
    2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6
    Lunar Mist Metallic

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I think starting out with a SAFE flat pad is the best way to go.

5" backing plate, use a 6" pad on a PC
    6" backing plate, use a 6.5" pad on a PC

Flat pad = greater surface contact. The cupped pads are a good concept but I`ve never had a problem with slinging using a flat pad.

The pad OD must be greater than the OD of the backing plate or you run the risk of damaging a mirror, spoiler, or side marker light.

Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I get a set of each? I`ve been reading more and more on this, and maybe it`d be a good idea (?).

The "Main Kit" for my arsenal would be the Sonus kit and PC 7424 (this includes a 5 inch backing plate) click here to see the package

Then I`ll have, for my second set, the LC Pads click here to see the LC. This way I`ll have the recommended second of each pad, while at the same time experimenting with new product.

Wow, that`s like $280!!! A little expensive? Is it worth it to have the second set? If it`s not, I think I`m going to get the Lake Country. They look to be of a higher quality, with more applied technology, and I`m buying almost all of my stuff from them anyway! Since they have "Constant Pressure," wouldn`t they be just as good as the flat Sonus? Gosh I just don`t know! I`m starting to act like John Kerry!!!!

Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, how many vehicles do you think you are going to detail in a week? Even it is a small number it is always a good idea to have a few spare pads, especially cutting and even more so polishing pads. Maybe buy a few of each? or buy all of one now and replace them with the other pads as needed. That way to get to know which pad YOU like best and which shape, flat , VC or advanced VC you like. This really is not something to sweat over, both sets of pads will meet you needs, the rest is just personal preference.

Time to decide!
    Later ......

Mike

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I can`t suggest how you should spend your money but this is what I would do:

You want a PC, buy a PC .... done.

Now make a decision on pads.

I`d buy a couple Sonus pads & a couple LC pads, maybe one polishing pad and one pad for using a swirl removing product from both manufacturers ... and then form your own opinion about which you like or dislike.

Better to have two "not my favorite" pads laying around than an entire kit of 5 or 6 pads. It`ll reduce your initial out-of-pocket cost & probably save you $$$ in the long run.

What if you don`t like the LC pads? That`s $70 + shipping thrown away. Maybe the Sonus pads won`t be a hit & you just paid for a PC/Sonus package when a 7424 purchased from premiumautocare will get you a 10% discount & free shipping if the order is over $125.

Yea, it`s information overload...join the club.

Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like

You`re right, it really isn`t a big deal, but I just don`t want to waste money. I carefully plan everything I do...just my personality, and it equates to a quality and thorough execution of whatever I`m doing. So which of the TYPEs of pads (compounding, polishing, etc.) should I get. I need at least one pad for each of these:

Menzerna IP (yellow and orange pads)
    Menzerna FPII
    Menzerna Glaze

I`m going with Lake Country and that`s final. I`m confident in them and I need to support our beautiful state of Wisconsin (where they`re manufactured). I`m getting the kit without backing plate for $50, then I`m going to buy their 5 inch backing plate and the glazing pad and consider it done! There. No more talk about it!!

Talk to y`all later! I`ll be sure to post pics of my first job!

Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Carl,
    Wise choice, I`m confident you`ll be happy

You`re right on the money with the pads for the IP

For the FP II you`ll need the white polishing pad

Not familar with the glaze but I assume it should be applied with the black pad

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

agreed with Bill D on pads used with IP & FPII

use a black pad with FTG

Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like

Which pads should I get two of? Do LC have just as much "cutting" power as Sonus, or since they aren`t flat does that hinder their performance?

Also, about how long does it take to apply a coat of FPII by PC, IP by PC, etc.

Thanks

Carl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information