Post Thanks / Like

PC 7424 Question

Hi,

I just joined the forum and information on here is terrific. I`m learning a tremendous amount.

So, after reading a number of posts which talk about the PC and how there is a difference between the newer ones and older ones. My question is around this subject.

I acquired a PC some number of years ago, but I can`t say I remember when. Is there a way to tell the age of the PC and if it`s a newer or older model?

Additionally, exactly what are the differences between them? And, what are your recommendations on how to either one.

Thanks,
    CabrioArtie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC 7424 Question

imho
    relax and use the one you have unless it proves insufficient. if it works, it works
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    imho
    relax and use the one you have unless it proves insufficient. if it works, it works
    It really wasn`t a question of using it, but more about if there are things to know which optimizes its usage. Things to do with one which makes it perform better.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

CabrioArtie -

The Porter Cable 7424 has been around for more years than a lot of people who are using it. It has great durability, and hardly ever has problems.. The only problem I have ever heard it has is the electrical cord will wear out right at the spot where it goes into the machine body, from people yanking on it too hard and/or wrapping the cord around it tightly all the time..

This machine was originally designed to be a sander and it does that very well too..

With this machine and any random orbital machine like it, you want to get as much Pad Rotation as possible, in order to break down the product/s you are using to correct your paintwork.

This machine will always benefit and give you the most rotation with the pads smaller than the standard 6" ones. so perhaps if you start looking at getting a Backing Plate that uses the 5" +/- pads, your machine will be able to get more Pad Rotation with the smaller diameter Backing Plate..

You can also use even smaller pads/backing plates, all the way down to at least 3", so this helps getting smaller spots easier..

There is a huge amount of information put up by Todd Helme here that explains how Random Orbital machines work and why they do this and that, so if you have time to read this, it may also help..

If not, the quick and dirty - you need pad rotation to help work the products faster and better. You can get more pad rotation with smaller diameter pads..

It will work best running at speed-6 to get the most pad rotation possible..

The pad rotation you get out of this machine is not "forced", so its not going to be as effective as say the Flex 3401VRG or any of the Rotary Power machines (of which I am most fond of)

The machine you have is very safe to use and there are thousands of them out there just from this brand alone, doing what you are going to be doing..

We can talk more about this as you have more detailed questions...

Congrats on taking the step to a whole new world of Detailing !
    DanF

Thread Information