Post Thanks / Like

Correcting Curb Damage Scratches to Paint?

Hey everyone!

I`m looking for assistance on how to fix this scratch I made on my just OptiCoated car :[

Would this work? To possibly remove most of it?
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-415-Premium-Compound/dp/B000NMDFNY/ref=zg_bs_15718371_4]Amazon.com: Turtle Wax T-415 Premium Grade Rubbing Compound - 18 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Correcting Curb Damage Scratches to Paint?

Unfortunately, the scratches are too deep and under the clearcoat and paint, a rubbing compound or polish will not fix it. Sorry to see this, especially after an opti-coat.
    Only thing to fix is re-paint

For what its worth, the car looks very clean!

Post Thanks / Like

On 2nd look, it looks as if the white is paint transfer from the curb (assuming the curb was painted)? Is this Correct?

If so, a compound can help remove most of that. But other spots I see are too deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robertj34 View Post
    On 2nd look, it looks as if the white is paint transfer from the curb (assuming the curb was painted)? Is this Correct?

If so, a compound can help remove most of that. But other spots I see are too deep.
    Yeah I believe the curb was white (the portion with house numbers). I`m debating to just compound it to remove over 50% of it. Then maybe get a front under body spoiler to cover the rest up haha.

Would the shop ask to paint the entire bumper if I brought it to them?

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda looks like transfer of paint from the concrete, some heavy clay or something to strip like a paint cleaner might help. There was a threa don here or AG, where a guy solved this exact problem, gotta find it.....hmmm
    The name`s Chris! Hi! - Chris` Auto Detailing, Pasadena, CA

Post Thanks / Like

It looks to me like you have a combination of both. Paint transfer and damage. I would polish with something like Ultimate Compound or M105 and see what you are left with. You probably won`t be able to remove it all, but if you get all the paint removed it should still look much better than what it currently does. It does look like you possibly have some damage that is to deep to polish out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    It looks to me like you have a combination of both. Paint transfer and damage. I would polish with something like Ultimate Compound or M105 and see what you are left with. You probably won`t be able to remove it all, but if you get all the paint removed it should still look much better than what it currently does. It does look like you possibly have some damage that is to deep to polish out.
    Agree the top portion looks deep, however there are good folks out there at repairing plastic bumpers and repainting....the bottom portion looks like all paint transfer to me, should be easy to get off with various products. I`d try an agressive clay or something like Auto Finesse obliTARate if you have something like that.
    The name`s Chris! Hi! - Chris` Auto Detailing, Pasadena, CA

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

If this for sure white curb paint transfer for most of the area, why not find out what that paint is made of and get the appropriate paint thinner to remove it?

If the scratches were not so deep, certainly compound on a Rotary would make short work of this, and would probably still make short work of it..

The only issue is the deeper scratches - if your rub product into them, you have to then remove it back out..

They sell all kinds of tar removers, right ? Perhaps one might have the right product/s that will easily remove the paint...

I would only use several Q tips to try first and only a little tiny bit on a spot to test, where it wont be as noticeable if something goes bad..

I know not everyone likes to hear this, but I have had incredible success using that little metal can of Goof Off professional sold in the Paint Dept., at Home Depot..
    Again, only with a Q tip - a little tiny test spot, apply the product, rub lightly, wipe if off with a clean paper towel or a clean soft cloth, and observe the result.. Do you see Black Paint on the white Q Tip ? If yes, Stop using this product..

Yes, the Auto Body Shop would want to either try to sand down the scratches if not too deep, prime them to fill anything left, block sand with a guide coat, and paint the whole thing over, unless this paint is able to be spotted in, like in the old days...

Sorry this had to happen to you..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    My vote is to cut your losses and get the valance/lip spoiler
    Slate Metallic 2015 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.8L CVT

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Kinda looks like transfer of paint from the concrete, some heavy clay or something to strip like a paint cleaner might help. There was a threa don here or AG, where a guy solved this exact problem, gotta find it.....hmmm
    I think I remember that thread! Wasn`t a white or silver car? And it was really bad? Because if it`s the same I`m thinking of, he did a hell of a job.

Now, I`m trying to find it.

Thread Information