Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint etching from bird poo

When I went to wash this vehicle this morning I noticed several bird bombs on the passenger side and hood. My phone was charging so I didn`t get any pics but the remains left were pretty significant and I opted to pre rinse the suv.

Anyways after washing this still remained.

It looks pretty bad in person. I`m not sure if its type II etching but I told the customer It didn`t look like it was going to come off safely.

These were the best pics I could get with my phone. When Iooked closely at the paint it sure looked eaten away in little spots inside those etchings.
    I clayed that area and put down some EX P.

He said he wanted me to try and polish it out but like I said I told him I wasn`t sure there was much that could be done here.

I`m going back Thursday to work on another one of his vehicles. This is the first time I have washed this suv for him. These bird remains were quite large I really regret not having s charged phone at the time.

What are my options here? I think fixing this is above my skill level.
    It is very rough to the touch and I feel comfortable polishing all the areas except the big circle etching that looks like its been eaten away slightly.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint etching from bird poo

Try pro polish
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry this had to happen to nicely finished paintwork..

I would try to loosen as much off this with my Steamer, being careful to keep it at just the right angle to lessen any possible problems...

There probably would not be any problems, but still, its not my vehicle and I have to take precautions to insure the paint is not compromised in any way by me...

Im pretty sure hot water and a a good carwash soap would loosen this up enough to at least get the hard stuff off so you can see what is left...

Since I have a few bottles of it, I might try some Einszett ( 1-Z) Anti-Insekt Bug + Tar Remover, following directions closely..

And it goes without saying that anything you do to this, you need to be out of the Sun and in the shade...

In my experience, it is usually an outline of the matter that is usually left...

And if I still had something there, it would be worth it to take some Compound and gently see what happens to that outline or what is left... Gently is the key word here...

The best thing that can happen is if the hot water/steam/chemical/carwash soap and water can remove it all..

Good luck !!!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify, this is what remained after washing and claying the area.
    It has a very rough feel to it and I`m not very sure if I polish the nasty spots that some paint won`t also be coming off.

It might not even all be etching from bird sh#t but it is definitely from something that shouldn`t have been left on the paint.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at it you would think its sap or something but it didn`t come off with bug squash, bug sponge, or red/blue clay pad,or regular clay.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    Looking at it you would think its sap or something but it didn`t come off with bug squash, bug sponge, or red/blue clay pad,or regular clay.

I would determine by measuring paint thickness, and asking Client, if this area/s were ever repainted..

Did you try using a plastic single edge razor blade on it when it was wet with lots of soap, and see if any of this could be scraped carefully, off ?

If it feels sticky and smells like tree sap, what about take some Q-Tips and a bottle of Goof Off, and with the paint cool, not hot, just touch a little part of it and quickly wipe and look at the Q-Tip and see what is on there..

I have had to use this method on hundreds of tree sap blobs on an equal number of vehicles especially in the Northwest, because of all the sap coming down from all the honking tall 150+ foot trees..

Never had a problem doing this and never removed, lifted, or damaged any paintwork with this process either...

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestion Dan. A paint reader is my next costly purchase.

I sw the owner and he said he`s okay with letting me polish those areas even if it takes off some of the paint in those spots.
    I still am not very comfortable doing this.

I saw a thread on ag where it was discussed that you could potentially dab a little touch up paint in the areas where the etching ate through to the base coat, let it dry and then smooth it out, but again I have no experience with this.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Brandt -

I would still try to see how hard this is stuck on using either a plastic single edge razor blade with warm soapy slippery water, and if no movement, then try some Chemical Guys Heavy Duty Water Spot Remover... Its an acid based product that is supposed to work on paint, glass, chrome, stainless steel...

If they dont sell it here, Detailed Image has it...

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    I will pick up one of those blades but I cant think of anything I have on hand besides bug and tar remover or apc to use. So I might try some different ratios of apc after the soapy water.

And it really feels more shallow on the surface where those marks are. Like something ate into the paint.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I will pick up one of those blades but I cant think of anything I have on hand besides bug and tar remover or apc to use. So I might try some different ratios of apc after the soapy water.

And it really feels more shallow on the surface where those marks are. Like something ate into the paint.
    Brandt -

Those must be super-birds or something down there then..

In all the years I have removed this stuff from hundreds of vehicles, I have never had this happen..

It always comes off using one or more of the methods I described above..

I see more etching into the paint with tree sap than I have ever seen with bird bombs... I dont know - perhaps I have just been lucky...

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I`m hoping that is the case.
    Maybe it was egg or something but I really hope its not permanent. But these bird bombs were pretty large.

I can try all the methods you suggested above tomorrow except for the hd water spot remover.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be Seagull droppings those things eat anything who knows what could be in that poop. Also the have really high acidity levels in there poop to digest all the stuff they eat. All birdys have high acid poop but some more then others depending on there diet. better to wipe it off quickly and risk surface scratches then to let it dwell till you get the proper tools and sprays to remove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If only the customers thought like us....I don`t think we have seaguls here in Austin, tho. Ive only seen something this bad from egg.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

You want to talk about uber-bird-poop - you should see what Canadian Geese do as they fly over the Northwest back and forth...

They stopped in the neighborhood I used to live in up there, and take leisurely strolls, crapping all over everything at ground level..
    OMG !!!!!

Our PureBred German Shepherds kept them from making a mess in the front and back yards, but other people had to deal with it at a more up close and personal, level...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I need to bump this thread back up...

The owner just got back into town yesterday and I went over there to see if I could get some better pictures of the damage.

this is the best shot I could get of what looks like etching straight through the clear and paint. pieces of black paint came off onto my claybar.

Here`s the other one and I think its easier to see how the paint is wrinkled and broken off and at the top of it you can even see some of the base. Under a magnifying glass it looked pretty scary.

__
    This has got to be type II etching, right?

So what to do...

I picked up a plastic razor and I am pretty sure this will flake off but I am not sure if I`m really willing to take on this job because I am no master with touch up paint and the last thing I want to do is make it worse.

I have used one of those (dr colorchip) road rash kits on a hood and front end before (and will also be doing this on the front of the vehicle) but these spots on the door are not going to be little chip marks once cleaned out. And I think if I polish on those areas they might even get larger. I`m pretty sure I could have gotten off all that paint with just my claybar and some more agitation.

The other option would be to try what using a plastic razor blade and touch up paint to fill in the area by kind of smoothing it over and then after it dries polish it lightly. I`ve seen this discussed on some other forum post from a few years back.

Who has done this before?

My gut tells me to stay away from it but the client wants me to try and fix it.

Brandt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information