Post Thanks / Like

Correction with peeling clear

Hey all. I want to do a correction on my girlfriends car (05 Acura TL, black). The problem is this car has been VERY neglected and the clear is peeling in some areas. My plan is to avoid these areas while doing the correction and focus on what I can fix. I plan on using Menzerna FG 400 as my first step product with yellow pads. Is there anything I can do for the peeling areas aside from wet sanding the edges? Can I get some gloss back into the bare base coat paint? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Correction with peeling clear

Start much less aggressive acura paint is notoriously soft and you already have areas that are burnt through you will make more. And just get it painted or don`t mess with it on those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of black, sand out the problem area & use clear. Then correct the rest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matts13f150 View Post
    Hey all. I want to do a correction on my girlfriends car (05 Acura TL, black). The problem is this car has been VERY neglected and the clear is peeling in some areas. My plan is to avoid these areas while doing the correction and focus on what I can fix. I plan on using Menzerna FG 400 as my first step product with yellow pads. Is there anything I can do for the peeling areas aside from wet sanding the edges? Can I get some gloss back into the bare base coat paint? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    You can polish the base coat and get a little bit of gloss into it, but it will look different than the rest of the paint.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, painting new clear over sanded, old clear, if done neatly, will only delay the issue the rest of the paintwork has - which is to continue to die, lift, and peel off..

I have heard of some hot shot guy that likes to put Meguiars Nbr-7 Glaze over dying, dry paintwork for 24 hours before polishing, and then wiping it off and polishing the paint..

The idea here is to feed the dying paint in a manner of speaking, to help it to look better, but again, nothing will ever make this clearcoat peeling go away short of stripping it all off and starting over..

Sorry this had to happen to you... Have had a couple of new Acura in the Mid-2000 range that had outstanding paint and never heard or knew of peeling issues..

And Detailed probably 20 or so and never seen bad paint either..

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    You can polish the base coat and get a little bit of gloss into it, but it will look different than the rest of the paint.
    I did car sometime back that I did this with...it comes out looking different but certainly a lot better than just leaving it alone.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said this paint has been VERY neglected. The car is pushing 150k and she bought it used, so who knows what kind of life it lived before that. Once I get to it, I`ll post some before and after pics. Hopefully it turns out ok looking. I think I`m going to try FG400 and an orange pad on the rest of the car before I try to work with the peeling clear.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a post somewhere where a guy had some success using Opti-Coat on peeling clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so if I wet sand the peeling clear and get it looking ok, when I go to the opti-coat should I do the whole car? Or should I just spot correct where I`ve wet sanded? I`ve never even touched opti-coat, so I`m more than a little nervous about it. How hard is the application? I know it`s "self leveling" I just dont want it to look all wonky after I`ve spent the money on the stuff.

Thread Information