Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Worth buying a rupes LHR 15 and 21?

Hey,

So an opportunity has come up to get a rupes LHR21 for a decent price (around 400 cad). I have the 15 already and love it. Wondering if it would be worth It to get a 21 as well? Mostly do odd jobs here and there. Detailing is a hobby and not a full time job for me. And no I`m not rich haha, otherwise I wouldn`t ask for opinions.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worth buying a rupes LHR 15 and 21?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck2417 View Post
    Hey,

So an opportunity has come up to get a rupes LHR21 for a decent price (around 400 cad). I have the 15 already and love it. Wondering if it would be worth It to get a 21 as well? Mostly do odd jobs here and there. Detailing is a hobby and not a full time job for me. And no I`m not rich haha, otherwise I wouldn`t ask for opinions.

Thanks
    Well, given your circumstances (which sound reasonably similar to mine - I maintain my own 5 vehicles primarily with the odd job for a friend) I think it is nuts. I just ordered a 15 (over the 21 because it appears to be a bit handier). I emoted long and hard over getting the 15 or the 12 but even longer on getting a Rupes at all! I own a perfectly good PC and don`t really "need" a Rupes<g>... The 21 will obviously work better (quicker) on a large panel which might be important to a production detailer, but to someone working primarily on his/her own vehicles?
    Regards,
    <TED>

Post Thanks / Like

If I already had a 15 I would be looking at a LHR75e. I do have a 21 and LHR75. My friend has the LHR75e and my short experience with it has pointed me in the direction of wanting it. Will you like the 21 ? Of course but the smaller machine is super handy around trim , front and rear bumpers and spoilers etc. Just my 2 cents.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

I have all the rupes except the duetto, they are all great however they do have their short comings. If I were you I would get a 75e instead. This is your hobby and I don`t think having a 21 as well will do much for you. A 75e on the other hand will help in those tight spots. Unless your doing this as a pro there really is no need just want. Personally my fave setup is a 21, flex 3401 and a 75e.

Post Thanks / Like

I also recommend to grab the 75es. I know you are contemplating on a 21 but I don`t think it will give you as much value as a 75es would.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

It is all about trade-offs...

The 21 has the longest stroke and will correct the fastest (as fast as random orbitals go), but the trade-off is the size, even with the smaller backing plate and pads..

The other models have smaller strokes, but of course, they all appear to be fantastic at what they do..

Now, if they were able to have an extension installed so you could space the backing plate and pad out farther from the base of the big machine (like my Makita 9227C), this would be really cool !!!

Big machine, big power, extended pad, allowing the big machine to get up close to all those tiny places that the pad will fit into.....

Correction/Polishing - Nirvana !!!!

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I have been considering getting the 75e for smaller spots. I guess I haven`t ran into a spot I couldn`t hand polish if need be (time consuming of course and tiring). I also have a GG 6 inch polisher with several different size backing plates (3.5inch, 5inch and 6inch). The price difference between the 21 and the 75 is $100 for me. Being in Canada makes it hard to get a hold of good products and machines without having to spend tons on shipping and customs. Also finding rupes polishers here is getting more and more difficult (small inventory and prices are rumoured to be increasing for Canadians).

I work on my own vehicles and a few on the side (odd boat here and there). Most if the vehicles are on the larger size (trucks,SUVs etc).

Post Thanks / Like

You live once then you die. I say get both the 15 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuck2417 View Post
    Thanks for all of the input everyone. I have been considering getting the 75e for smaller spots. I guess I haven`t ran into a spot I couldn`t hand polish if need be (time consuming of course and tiring). I also have a GG 6 inch polisher with several different size backing plates (3.5inch, 5inch and 6inch). The price difference between the 21 and the 75 is $100 for me. Being in Canada makes it hard to get a hold of good products and machines without having to spend tons on shipping and customs. Also finding rupes polishers here is getting more and more difficult (small inventory and prices are rumoured to be increasing for Canadians).

I work on my own vehicles and a few on the side (odd boat here and there). Most if the vehicles are on the larger size (trucks,SUVs etc).
    If its difficult to purchase from US vendors, I do have some excellent Canadian vendors in mind that may work for you. I`ll send you a PM now

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I finally got the chance to try out a 21 Bigfoot. It was nice, but I can see where ya`ll are talking about moving around curves and tight spots, plus I didn`t notice but about 3 real speeds as the sound and action seemed the same on 5 and 6, but no matter. It was a little bit of a disappointment however, after all the hoopla about how smooth it was, it seemed to have a bit more vibration than I`d imagined. And I was trying it out on a totally flat surface. But, it may have been the pad and I didn`t get but about 5 minutes with it. So, am I sold on it? yes and no, I have a sneaky feeling that the 15 might be a better tool for me, and according to Mr Todd`s excellant post on the subject - it has a little more power to compensate for the missing 6mm stroke.

So - any 15 users out there want to comment? Like Ross Perot - I`m all ears!

Post Thanks / Like

Spend a bit more time with the polisher. I found it to hop around at lower speed (1-3) but the smoothness come back at speed 5-6.

What pads were you using?

Btw I use the 15es and 75 mini

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bunn View Post
    Well, I finally got the chance to try out a 21 Bigfoot. It was nice, but I can see where ya`ll are talking about moving around curves and tight spots, plus I didn`t notice but about 3 real speeds as the sound and action seemed the same on 5 and 6, but no matter. It was a little bit of a disappointment however, after all the hoopla about how smooth it was, it seemed to have a bit more vibration than I`d imagined. And I was trying it out on a totally flat surface. But, it may have been the pad and I didn`t get but about 5 minutes with it. So, am I sold on it? yes and no, I have a sneaky feeling that the 15 might be a better tool for me, and according to Mr Todd`s excellant post on the subject - it has a little more power to compensate for the missing 6mm stroke.

So - any 15 users out there want to comment? Like Ross Perot - I`m all ears!
    What pads are you using? I experienced the same thing when I first got my 21. I was using it with my 5.5 pads for my GG6. None of the pads were really that smooth despite others getting good results with them. Finally I decided to get some rupes pads. I ordered the 6 inch rupes pads since I have the 5 inch backing plate. However I was sent to 7 inch pads by mistake. I decided to try them anyways while waiting for the smaller pads to come in. Even though the 7 inch pads are made for the 21, it still wasn`t smooth. It hopped and felt grabby on the machine. Finally the 6 inch rupes pad came in and my first use with them was . Much less vibration and no hopping or grabbiness i felt with all my other pads. Very satisfied with the smaller pads even though I read that they wouldnt be as smooth as the 7 inch pads on the 21

As for the speed settings, my machine had a faulty speed control module. It would increase speeds from 4 to 6 on its own, making it seem like no difference in the settings. Autogeek did the repairs and all is good now.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

A lot has to do with lubrication, I find with all the rupes they tend to skip if you go too short on polish. Water really doesn`t help that much as the pads really don`t hold water at all.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a 7" pad with some light polish from Majestic, it wasn`t grabby on the surface. The vibes were from the polisher, and again - they were not that big a deal, just not as smooth as I had thought. I was thinking rotary smooth and it isn`t.
    Since posting earlier, I have decided that a 15, with 5" backing plate and my 5.5" Buff & Shine pads would be the ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bunn View Post
    It was a 7" pad with some light polish from Majestic, it wasn`t grabby on the surface. The vibes were from the polisher, and again - they were not that big a deal, just not as smooth as I had thought. I was thinking rotary smooth and it isn`t.
    Since posting earlier, I have decided that a 15, with 5" backing plate and my 5.5" Buff & Shine pads would be the ticket.

Hate to spoil your anticipation but nothing will ever be as smooth as a rotor

That`s why I always keep my flex pe with me at all times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information