Thread: Rupes LHR15

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes LHR15

Hey everyone,

So I`ve seen a lot of people using the Rupes LHR21 with a 5 inch backing plate and some say it works great. Others say it`s a little unbalanced compared to what the rupes usually is. If the 5inch backing plate works on the 21, shouldn`t the 6inch backing plate work on the 15? Curious on if anyone has tried the 15 with a 6inch backing plate and their thoughts?

I know the 21 is the most popular, but I`m just a weekend warrior and don`t do a lot of heavy correction. I usually use 5.5 and 6.25 inch pads.

Thanks,

Big fan of the forum and detailing! Mostly do my own vehicles but do take on the odd side job here and there for friends and family (mostly washing and one step polishes and waxes).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LHR15

I`d take a look at this thread that Todd did. I didn`t purchase one yet but it did help me make up my mind.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...gfoot-you.html

Post Thanks / Like

I read that, and it did help with making up my mind since I did want some versatility over the 21. However the threads should be the same. The body is essentially the same, difference is in the throw of the machine and the speed (also the balancing). The LHR15 spins a bit faster to make up for the reduced orbit size. I suppose I can`t see a reason why the 6 inch backing plate wouldn`t work on the 15. Maybe someone has tried to see if it works? Maybe I am missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

For me I can`t really think of a reason why I would want that particular setup. Unless, perhaps I came across a panel van or a really nice boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes designed some microfiber cutting and polishing pads that are 6inches. It would be nice to be able to try them out!

They even have 7inch pads I see as well. Also would be nice to use some 6 inch mf pads from meguiars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuck2417 View Post
    Rupes designed some microfiber cutting and polishing pads that are 6inches. It would be nice to be able to try them out!
    I see. That makes sense then. I would be a shame to cut down such an expensive pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a 6inch backing plate, and a 7 inch foam pad from Rupes. I am going to give it a try on a test hood I have and let everyone know how it works. I just did a quick test and it fits on without a problem and seems similar to the 5inch. I`ll report back once I give it a try.

Quick note- the rupes 6inch mf pads are made for the 5 inch backing plates. I had ordered some of the finishing ones (sold out of the cutting ones) and they work pretty good, no better than the white foam pad. I`ll do a more indepth review later.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, the 6 inch backing plate will fit on a 15 (I haven`t done it so please don`t hold my word as truth). You would gain some surface area in the pad, but lose some rotation. I`m not sure you would see much of a benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

It does fit. It`s the same motor in the 21 and 15, just the 15 can spin a bit faster to attempt to make up for the reduced orbit. At least that`s what I was able to get from my research. Adding a 6inch backing plate would make it usable with other sized pads. I`ll report my findings after I take it for a spin!

Post Thanks / Like

It does fit. It`s the same motor in the 21 and 15, just the 15 can spin a bit faster to attempt to make up for the reduced orbit. At least that`s what I was able to get from my research. Adding a 6inch backing plate would make it usable with other sized pads. I`ll report my findings after I take it for a spin!
    Yes, the increase in motor speed will make up for some of the power differences. However the larger pad diameter will definitely reduce the total correction power of the machine, in the since that it will not be as efficient as a 21 w/ a 7-inch pad or a 15 with a 6-inch pad.

Let us know how it works in terms of vibration and fitment.

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t argue with you there Todd. I don`t expect the increased speed and pad size to offer the same correction ability as the 21. I am looking at it from a point of usability and flexibility (being able to use a 5 inch and a 6 inch backing plate). Hoping to have some time in the next few days to sit down for an hour or two and get to run some tests. It`s been shown that the 21 can be used with a 5 inch backing plate. I would like to have that ability with the 15.

Post Thanks / Like

So I can answer the question I had when I tried to decide between the 15 and the 21. The 6 inch backing plate does work with the lhr15! To try and keep things simple I used a yellow 7 inch rupes pad, a normal rupes 6 inch backing plate and the 15mm Bigfoot with the rupes polish.

Does it bog down easier? - no more than the 6 inch pads do wither rbe 5 inch backing plate
    Does it fit?- the backing plates have the same fit and work fine
    Does the machine of off balance?- not really, which was surprising. I did feel a bit more vibration but it`s still comfortable to use
    Would I recommend it- yes, if you want to use bigger pads sometimes

Remember that rupes doesn`t say to do this, I am just letting everyone know it does work. The same as others have said about the 21mm and the 5 inch backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

So I can answer the question I had when I tried to decide between the 15 and the 21. The 6 inch backing plate does work with the lhr15! To try and keep things simple I used a yellow 7 inch rupes pad, a normal rupes 6 inch backing plate and the 15mm Bigfoot with the rupes polish.

Does it bog down easier? - no more than the 6 inch pads do wither rbe 5 inch backing plate
    Does it fit?- the backing plates have the same fit and work fine
    Does the machine of off balance?- not really, which was surprising. I did feel a bit more vibration but it`s still comfortable to use
    Would I recommend it- yes, if you want to use bigger pads sometimes

Remember that rupes doesn`t say to do this, I am just letting everyone know it does work. The same as others have said about the 21mm and the 5 inch backing plate.
    Thanks for the update!

Thread Information