Rotary typically = more steps, though less time per step, to get the same hologram free finish as a DA. Put a twisted wool pad on a rotary and some "rocks in a bottle compound" and sure you`ll cut defects very quickly...but you`ll also leave a nasty looking finish to boot.

With today`s pads, polishes, and large throw tools like the Rupes 21, people are getting very fast initial correction. This initial correction finishes downs so well that one often only needs a quick follow up with a mild finishing polish to produce a perfect finish. All this with the piece of mind, ease of use, and less risk of damaging this finish, it should be obvious why DA`s have become so popular. Now I do still have 3 rotaries, and they will ALWAYS have their place, but they simply don`t get used much now days.

Finishing properly with a rotary still takes a good amount of time and those who say otherwise (skipping the intermediate/refining steps) will have cars coming back to haunt them, and can assure you of that.

For the record I learned on a rotary and have been using them for over 24yrs now.

Just my $.02

Rasky