Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Polishers: Selecting The Best BigFoot For You

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Devil`s Advocate:

The Mini and Duetto are essentially the same machine but tuned for different pad sizes. Both use the same chassis and motor. If you notice that the Mini is slowing down with pad tilt and losing rotation, than it would be easy to surmise that the washer mod has little-to-no effect on pad rotation once pressure is applied to the machine.

This has been my experience with the washer mod as well. Yes, it makes the pad spin faster when the entire machine is lifted off paint, but the actual increase in rotation once the pad is engaged to the paint is very little.
    Well, when the Duetto is tilted, it does a heck of a lot better job keeping the pad rotating with the washer mod as opposed to without, IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin` View Post
    Any tilt to the 75E and it`ll slow down or stop. When the pad is rotating 100%, yes, it`s a beast. The washer mod is not needed with the 75E as the backing plate does not make any contact with the polisher "head".
    I let the machine do the work, very rarely am I actually applying real stopping pressure. Thats one reason why I love the rupes, the design is mean`t do more work with less effort... the flex on the other hand really does react well to pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

And just for fun... and NO I DIDN`t RUN THEM! Is pretty interesting though.

Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when the Duetto is tilted, it does a heck of a lot better job keeping the pad rotating with the washer mod as opposed to without, IME.
    Yes, that would make sense. Anytime you reduce friction, you are going to see some improvement in rotation, particularly at angles were the backing plate is digging in. However, because of the large throws, even the changes in pad speed have little net effect in polishing power, IME.

That is the beuty of the Rupes` system. I can remove up to p1500 grade sanding marks using their combination of cutting pads and compound (the microfiber`s on the Duetto & Mini, blue foam on the 15 & 21). Its such a well engineered design that I haven`t found myself needing more cut than what is offered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that would make sense. Anytime you reduce friction, you are going to see some improvement in rotation, particularly at angles were the backing plate is digging in. However, because of the large throws, even the changes in pad speed have little net effect in polishing power, IME.

That is the beuty of the Rupes` system. I can remove up to p1500 grade sanding marks using their combination of cutting pads and compound (the microfiber`s on the Duetto & Mini, blue foam on the 15 & 21). Its such a well engineered design that I haven`t found myself needing more cut than what is offered.
    I still think the washer mod makes a big difference. In simple terms, you`re reducing the friction inducing shroud with the washer. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I`m think my question was complete warranted considering the thread content. You worry about you and I`ll worry about me sport.

Especially considering that nick and ray both recommended the 21 to me with the 5 inch backing plate. In Nicks exact words "get the rupes 21 with the 5 inch plate, very smooth".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    And just for fun... and NO I DIDN`t RUN THEM! Is pretty interesting though.

Regular
    Nice man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nezff View Post
    I`m think my question was complete warranted considering the thread content. You worry about you and I`ll worry about me sport.

Especially considering that nick and ray both recommended the 21 to me with the 5 inch backing plate. In Nicks exact words "get the rupes 21 with the 5 inch plate, very smooth".
    The 5-inch backing plate changes the weight on the end of the lever, increasing vibration and wobbling. If you want to use the 5-inch plate, I highly recommend using the Rupes 15, which it is designed for.

Post Thanks / Like

I want a Duetto and MiniE badly!

Post Thanks / Like

The 5-inch backing plate changes the weight on the end of the lever, increasing vibration and wobbling. If you want to use the 5-inch plate, I highly recommend using the Rupes 15, which it is designed for.
    Gotcha. I completely understood that is wasn`t designed for it but after hearing a lot of pros and then some of the employees recommending it I figured I`d be fine. I guess I should have gone with a 15.

Thanks Todd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nezff View Post
    Gotcha. I completely understood that is wasn`t designed for it but after hearing a lot of pros and then some of the employees recommending it I figured I`d be fine. I guess I should have gone with a 15.

Thanks Todd.
    You`re still going to get fantastic and better results with the 21 & 5" backing plate, it`ll just feel less smooth while polishing

Post Thanks / Like
    Just used the duetto + Rupes green pad + Rupes coarse compound = awesome! Just because the duetto is the little brother, it can still do some major correction! It also feels the best in my hand out of any Rupes polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Just used the duetto + Rupes green pad + Rupes coarse compound = awesome! Just because the duetto is the little brother, it can still do some major correction! It also feels the best in my hand out of any Rupes polisher

Noobie here= You guys make it hard for me= duetto or a 15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
    Noob? Get the Duetto, but make sure you do the washer mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post

You don`t have any polisher and looking at the two? If so I`d probably get the Duetto as well. But you might just want to buy a Porter Cable before shelling out all the cash on the Rupes to make sure this is for you.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information